2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 4:39 AM by BKBK

CFINCLUDE inside CFMAIL

jackhuang Level 1

I have a done a CFQUERY and retrieve user's email and name.  Then I try to do a CFMAIL something like:

<cfmail to="#user.email#" from="sender@somewhere.com" subject="Message from #sender_name#" type="html">

<table><tr><td>

Dear #receiver_name#

</td></tr>

<tr><td>

#form.message#

</td></tr>

</table>

</cfmail>

This seems to work with CFMAIL and the variables are being populated properly.  However, when I placed the content into a template content.cfm because I want to use it somewhere else as well. So content.cfm has:

<table><tr><td>

Dear #receiver_name#

</td></tr>

<tr><td>

#form.message#

</td></tr>

</table>

and the program became:

<cfmail to="#user.email#" from="sender@somewhere.com" subject="Message from #sender_name#" type="html">

<cfinclue template="content.cfm">

</cfmail>

Now the problem is, I am NOT getting the variables (#receiver_name# and#form.message#) populated by Coldfusion when I use the cfinclue template.  Why?  This is driving me crazy.  I don't know why it doesn't work.    Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: CFINCLUDE inside CFMAIL
          duncancumming Level 3

Try this (usually at this point I'd have two versions, HTML and plaintext):

<cfsavecontent variable="content"><cfinclude template="content.cfm"></cfsavecontent>

<cfmailpart type="html">#content#</cfmailpart>

</cfmail>

Also wrap content.cfm inside <cfoutput></cfoutput>

• 2. Re: CFINCLUDE inside CFMAIL
            BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your code works in cfmail because Coldfusion performs cfoutput implicitly within the cfmail tag. The solution is therefore to add the cfoutput tag in content.cfm, as follows:

<cfoutput>

<table><tr><td>

Dear #receiver_name#

</td></tr>

<tr><td>

#form.message#

</td></tr>

</table>

</cfoutput>

Incidentally, your post has a typo: cfinclue instead of cfinclude. This is just a typo to get out of the way, and has nothing to do with the issue.