7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 6:14 PM by A.T. Romano

Video synchronization with 1/10th sec granularity (or  adjusting by number of frames)

Akalank

Video1 (main video) & video2 (overlay video in PIP mode) are recordings of the same event taken from 2 different cameras. Can I synchronize (& the adjust) these by say 1/10th of a second  or by number of frames...in premiere 10? If yes, how? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Video synchronization with 1/10th sec granularity (or  adjusting by number of frames)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Akalank

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

And, are you working in a NTSC or PAL setup?

Highlight your clip to be "nudged", and then hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard as you tap the right or left arrow key once.

There is a 1 frame nudge for each tap. If you do the same, but hold down the Shift + Alt keys as you tap the right or left arrow key once,

there is a 5 frames nudge for each tap. The process can be sluggish at times, but it does work.

If you want to convert your Timeline timecode (00;00;00;00) to frames, then hold down the Ctrl key as you click on the timecode above the

Timeline.

In a 30 frames per second set up, your 1 frame duration = 0.033 seconds. In a 25 frames per second set up, your 1 frame duration = 0.04 seconds.

Please review the above and then let us know if any of it worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Video synchronization with 1/10th sec granularity (or  adjusting by number of frames)
            Akalank Level 1

Thanks Mr. Romano. You made my day. With your advice, I could sync my clips

correctly. By the way, my OS environment is Windows 7, 64 bit.

By the way, your suggestion of converting Timeline timecode (00;00;00;00)

to frames didn't work. I don't know if there's a bugfix for this in

Premiere 10 or it's available only in later versions? From my perspective,

a not very important but nice to have feature. If a patch does exist, I'd

like to have it. Thanks.

Akalank

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 3:11 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Video synchronization with 1/10th sec granularity (or  adjusting by number of frames)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Akalank

Thanks for the reply. Glad the suggestion worked for you for the clips sync.

I have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit, and I can convert the timecode display to frames in 2 ways....

1. Hold down the Ctrl key as you click on the timecode above the Timeline.

Timecode

timecode.JPG

Frames

frames.JPG

2. Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and change the Display Format to Frames.

Please review the above and then let us know the outcome.

Many thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 4. Re: Video synchronization with 1/10th sec granularity (or  adjusting by number of frames)
                Akalank Level 1

Thanks ATR.

I misunderstood your phrase "click on the timecode above the Timeline". It

still didn't work. However,

1. Holding down the Ctrl key & clicking on the timecode in the Monitor

Panel does change the time code in the timeline to frames.

2. The second option you mentioned, i.e. Edit Menu/Project Settings/General

and change the Display Format to Frames also works.

Thank you so much for the prompt followup. Appreciate your help very much.

Cheers,

Akalank

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:47 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: Video synchronization with 1/10th sec granularity (or  adjusting by number of frames)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Akalank

Thanks for the follow up and the opportunity to clarify. I thought that my screenshots of the Timecode to which I referred would do the job.

Apparently not.

Here is a larger view.

TimecodeNow.JPG

Were you Ctrl clicking the Timecode to which the arrow points? Or where you clicking somewhere else in the workspace?

But, glad that you now have the opportunity for the display of timecode or frames.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Video synchronization with 1/10th sec granularity (or  adjusting by number of frames)
                    Akalank Level 1

Dear ATR,

Your screenshots actually did clarify what you meant by what you said. That is that the timecode you meant was that at the bottom of the Monitor Panel and not on above the timeline (Adobe help file calls it time ruler).  So, When you ctrl-Click on the timecode displayed in the Monitor Panel, timecodes on the timeline changes to frames.:

Timeline_frame.jpg

• 7. Re: Video synchronization with 1/10th sec granularity (or  adjusting by number of frames)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Akalank

Thanks for the reply.

I think that we are looking at this at different perspectives. In Premiere Elements 10, if you take the Timeline workspace apart (undock), you see a Monitor Panel which does have at its lower left the timecode that we both are targeting - you can see that timecode in that location with or with the undocking.

In my reply to you, I pointed you to the timecode above the Timeline. And, indeed it is above the Timeline area and the word Timeline.

Timeline workspace - Panels docked.

TimelineTogether.JPG

Timeline workspace - Panels Undocked.

Timecode Again.JPG         

In your perspective, you apparently were thinking in terms of the area immediately above the Timeline tracks not above the Timeline area.

As you can see, the Timeline does not end at that level of what you label Timecode in Time Ruler.

But, as I said, we are now both in sync with the timecode that can be set for frames instead of Timecode.

ATR