16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2015 3:54 AM by od55511673

TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)

kcrea

Hello:

I keep getting the warning below when exporting my book to EPUB.  The TOC is generating properly.  I have turned on the "Make text anchor in source paragraph" in the TOC styles.  I have synchronized all my styles across the book.

Any ideas or suggestions? 

Thanks!

Kevin

The file was exported but one or more problems were detected:

TOC text anchor : 24 missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_01.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_02.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_03.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_04.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_05.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_06.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_07.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_08.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_09.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_10.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_11.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_12.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_13.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_14.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_15.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_16.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_17.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_18.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_19.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_20.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_21.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_22.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_23.indd" is missing

TOC text anchor "_idTOCAnchor-1" in "/Users/kevin/Documents/ubmbooks/RGN/v1/8.5x11/RGN_24.indd" is missing

• 1. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Moved to InDesign EPUB forum.

• 2. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
            Ellis home Level 4

Make sure the TOC is being generated from the Style Source file.

• 3. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
              pooja2087 Adobe Employee

Hi Kevin,

You can fix this error by updating your TOC and make sure that TOC style exists in Style source document. Updating TOC should solve your problem.

Let us know if this works.

Regards,

Pooja

• 4. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                Ellie Gillespie

Hi -

am getting the same error message and Sorry how do you make sure TOC style exists in the Style source document?

It was behaving well at one point in all of this.

I only have one missing.

Thanks Pooja

• 5. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                  denisew36348372

I have set the style document as the one which contains the TOC, which I assume means the TOC style exists in the Style source document. I have refreshed my TOC numerous times. I have synced the entire book. I still get "The file was exported but one or more problems were detected: TOC text anchor: 56 missing, etc.

I can't figure out what I could possibly be doing wrong.

• 6. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                    ive77i

Hi,

do you have "Make text anchor in source paragraph" option checked at the bottom of the "Table of Contents" dialogue?

If not maybe that could solve the problem.

Regards,

Ivana

• 7. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                      ive77i Level 1

Sorry, I've just read the very first post and saw you've checked that.

Do you have any "shared destination" hyperlinks in your file? That could cause the same problem.

• 8. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                        denisew36348372 Level 1

I have no hyperlinks in the file. The only hyperlinks I hope to have are the links from the TOC to the chapter heading and back. I do have two chapter heading styles. I do hope this isn't the problem, though on the 8th of July it wasn't causing any trouble.

• 9. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                          denisew36348372 Level 1

BTW, I am using the latest release of InDesign CC.

• 10. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                            HerbalifeDistributor

I'm having the same problem. 

I already had all the options suggested previously ("TOC style exists in Style source document", "Make text anchor in source paragraph" option enabled, and updated TOC several times.) 

I also have "Include Text on Hidden Layers" enabled because I had to create the special titles to include the proper wording desired by the author in the TOC and I put these special titles in hidden layers.

What I discovered is that I get this error when the layers including these special titles are actually hidden.  If I unhide them, I get no error upon exporting to ePub.

The actual TOC is created correctly within InDesign whether the layers are hidden or not.

To get around this, I have moved the text that should be hidden out outside of the margin of the page and it does not show up in the ePub when viewed in iBooks, but the TOC within iBooks does not match that which I see in Indesign.  I don't know if this is separate problem or due to my work around, but either way things are not working as one would expect.

I'm also using the latest version of Indesign CC 2015.

Thanks in advance for any additional help you might be able to give me.

Steve

• 11. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                              SMark59 Level 1

One possibility is that the text paragraph that you applied the style to is part of an "Inline object" or a part of a "group" and when exported is rasterized. As InDesign does not seem to support linking to objects, when the element is rasterized the text is replaced with a rasterized object and the the destination text anchor is removed in the process.

Perhaps your error message also included the text:

"Inline objects like text frames, groups etc. have been rasterized."

When the text that has the anchor in it is rasterized the text anchor is lost.

I don't know this for certain but all hyperlinks in Indesign seem to be associated with text insertion point positions and not objects. During export when your text-with the anchor is exported, it is converted to an image and that breaks the link.

• 12. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                                marieb4259177 Level 1

Hello Kevin,

Did you find a solution to your problem of missing anchors?

I am having the same problem.

I am working on a long document of 567 pages divided into 48 different documents all assembled in a book. All went well for the printed version of that book. I am now working on a fixed layout epub version of it. I created new master pages with a navigation bar containing links to different parts of the book. Wanting to play safe I started to modifie the first part, which contains the 12 first chapters of the book.

I still want to keep a navigational TOC in the beginning of the book, as well as the TOC generated by the application.

When I test to see if everything works properly, I get an error messages about TOC text anchors missing but only for the part I have modified!!!

I updated the TOC several times with the options suggested previously ("TOC style exists in Style source document", "Make text anchor in source paragraph" option enabled.) But I till get the same error message and don't know how to resolve the problem, aside from creating a TOC manually with Hyperlinks (which would take forever with a document of that size.

What is particular is that the TOC generated by the application works fine... But it is that clickable version that doesn't!

Any suggestions would help!

Thanks,

Marie

• 13. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                                  HerbalifeDistributor Level 1

Actually I discovered my "work around" doesn't work.  The text that was outside of the margin ended up at the end of the chapter.

Still trying to figure out how to get the TOC that I see in InDesign to be the TOC I get in the ePub and a way to make the Chapter Text in TOC match what we want.

In my case, each chapter starts off as "Chapter #" and then on a new line is the actual "Chapter Title" except for 2 chapters (one at the beginning and one at the end) which do not actually have "Chapter #'s".

I can't figure out away to get each chapter to list correctly in the TOC.  Either it includes the line break between "Chapter #" and "Chapter Title" or the "Chapter #" is left out.

Hidden layers work for print, but I get a bunch of errors for exporting to ePub and conversion to Kindle breaks completely when using hidden text.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread, but I thought it seemed to be a related problem.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Steve

• 14. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                                    od55511673

Same issue here.

I have a document with a couple hundred bookmarks in a two-tier hierarchy. They behave as expected within InDesignCC, and exported pdf:s fine up to a point. Now InDesign crashes on every export attempt. I have systematically gone through all export setting combinations. I got a similar log file on EPUB export as Kevin did above, saying the "text anchor [anchor][path] is not found". No help from Google or Adobe. I'm stuck!

Thanks, Oloph

• 15. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                                      marieb4259177 Level 1

Hi Oloph,

Welcome to the missing anchors group!

First, I want to know, where you able to export to epub (refolable or FXL?) at some point? I don't know why InDesign CC crashes but you can try to back to what you did when it all started.

Second: do you have a TOC in a page in your document? If yes, does all the links of that TOC not working?

Third, if you only want a generated TOC to be functionnal in your epub (the one you have in reader like iBooks), you can select in the settings for export the TOC be based on your bookmarks, and it should work...

Hope these suggestions help.

Marie B

• 16. Re: TOC text anchor missing when exporting to EPUB (ID CC 9.2.2)
                                        od55511673 Level 1

Thanks for replying Marie!

All my bookmarks were custom. I managed to find an earlier version and was able to rebuild the document from there. It looks like the document broke when it was being passed between users on different platforms and ID versions. A common suggestion to repair broken InDesign files is to save as IDML and reopen. While this did repair the document so I could export it, most of the bookmark destinations were removed.

For highly interactive documents I can only recommend to save frequent interim versions.

Cheers - Oloph