5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 9:43 AM by Noel Carboni

UI font size inconsistent between Ps, Ai, Id

tindall

Recently downloading the update to move to 2014CC, Photoshop UI font size doesn't change when I choose an option from the drop-down menu through preferences. Illustrator and InDesign don't even give preferences for UI font size so I'm stuck with a large font and really large tools.

My workflow includes all three programs (Ps, Ai, Id) on a daily basis and the font size drastically changing is hurting my eyes. I just want one font size across all programs. I can live with a larger font in Illustrator and InDesign, but Photoshop font is just too small on my screen (resolution is 2560 x 1440 on an NEC MultiSync PA272W(Digital) Display).

• 1. Re: UI font size inconsistent between Ps, Ai, Id
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Did you change the Edit - Preferences - Experimental Features setting that scales the display to 100% or 200%?

The font size everywhere but the main menus DOES change per the UI Font Size preference.

FontSizeChanges.gif

Note that you have to close and restart Photoshop after these UI preference changes to see them.

-Noel

• 2. Re: UI font size inconsistent between Ps, Ai, Id
            tindall Level 1

Hello Noel,

Thank you for the response. That may be the case with the "experimental features," but the tools still stay very small as well as the main menu bar. Adobe's support chat recommended to change my screen resolution down, but that defeats the purpose of having a high resolution screen, and then all of my programs are larger with that awful anti-aliased look.

I don't think a solution exists yet. I'm upset with Adobe's lack of foresight.

• 3. Re: UI font size inconsistent between Ps, Ai, Id
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Did you TRY setting the 200% setting?  I suspect not, given your response.

You have to close and restart Photoshop after changing the settings.

-Noel

• 4. Re: UI font size inconsistent between Ps, Ai, Id
                tindall Level 1

The 200% setting makes everything readable but makes all the control panels larger too. Not being able to see as many layers, for example, because the window is so large. It's a true 200% display. While it fixes one problem, it creates a different one.

Also, if I used the 200% display, then that is much larger than the default displays in Ai and Id and then I have the reverse problem that Ps is too large of a font.

Again, thank you for your input and help. I understand that Adobe recommends a resolution of 1920 and not much can be done to help the problem. I can work with what I have, but it offends my sensibilities as a designer (kind of like reading a magazine article that changes font sizes, or dvd instructions where one page is fine print and the other is 72pt)

• 5. Re: UI font size inconsistent between Ps, Ai, Id
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

I don't think Adobe believes that they're done with their UI.  You're seeing work in progress to change a very old and complex application, designed in the days when a monitor never had more than 100 ppi, to modern standards - which as it turns out is much more difficult than it would be designing it that way from scratch.

I think we can rest assured that at some point they'll have it to where it's easier on the eyes.

-Noel