13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 10:59 AM by A.T. Romano

My preview audio and video are out of sync

anything im not bothered

Good afternoon

I am using Adobe Premier Elements 11 and for some reason when i drop files into the program, on preview the audio is several seconds out of sync, sometimes up to 10 seconds. Other times, the audio is in sync but when I make a splice and delete all before, the audio is out of sync again

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Luke

• 1. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Exactly what are you editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Does your video use a VARIABLE Frame Rate or a Constant Frame Rate?

• 2. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync
            A.T. Romano Level 7

any

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

Key questions include:

1. What is your project preset?

2. What are the properties of your sources media - brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video

3. Are you playing back the rendered or unrendered Timeline content, that is, "Is there an orange line over the Timeline

content that you are playing back in the Edit area monitor?"

And, please clarify if your out of sync audio occurs

a. playback of Timeline content in Edit area monitor

and/or

b. Timeline content playback in Preview Window which opens when you double click the file in Projects Assets or on the Timeline

If your video has cell phone origin, you may be dealing with a variable instead of a constant frame rate due to recording at different lighting conditions.

This can be a problem for Premiere Elements sometimes, but not always. If a variable frame rate is at the core of your issue, then you can convert

the variable to constant frame rate using a free program such as HandBrake. Then you import the video with the constant frame rate into Premiere Elements. If it comes to that, I can supply a How To step by step.

http://handbrake.fr/

We will be watching for your reply, and then we can consider what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync
              anything im not bothered Level 1

I am using a Windows 7 64 bit PC. 8GB Ram.

Here is the scenario. I work for a managed service company, and we record video conferences on our Cisco Telepresence Content Server. After the video has been transcoded I download it either as a WMV or MP4 (Both of which I have the issue with) and I edit it with Premier Elements. (As far as the company is concerned that's all I need for what I'm doing)

The video is recorded and downloaded at 24fps so I set the presets on Elements to 24fps but I still get the issue. Strangely, If i load it into Windows Movie Maker and edit it there it works fine, though because there's more features in elements I tend to drop it into elements once the WMM has finished and hey presto, the audio is perfectly synced.

To your 3rd question, its when I watch the first preview when i notice the problem, so I guess its orange as I wouldn't have rendered it yet. Maybe thats the problem?

The out of sync is noticed in the playback of timeline content, not when I have double clicked.

Many thanks

Luke

• 4. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Luke

Thanks for the reply and the helpful troubleshooting information.

Before getting deeper into details, if you are playing back a Timeline with an orange line over its content, press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard or the Render button above the Timeline in order to render the Timeline content to get the best possible preview of what you are seeing and hearing from the Edit area monitor. When the Timeline rendering completes, the orange line over the content should be green. Is there any improvement in your situation when you do the Timeline rendering?

If you are seeing an orange line over the Timeline content when you first drag it to the Timeline, that suggests that you have not selected the correct

project preset or you may have a format for which Premiere Elements does not have a project preset. Just a frame rate match is not going to work.

First let us assure that the project preset is set correct manually by you or automatically by the project. For now, let the project preset be

set manually by you. We need more source media details for that.

a. What are the properties of the .wmv and .mp4 videos that are recorded at 24 progressive frames per second....frame size et al?

Do you know if your system is recording with a variable or constant frame rate, governed by lighting conditions? We can determine the

answer to this from the MediaInfo (Tree View) properties readout of the file. If the frame rate is variable, the readout will include a minimum, maximum, and

general frame rate.

MediaInfo | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

Just be careful with the download and install so that you do not get any carry alongs with the MediaInfo.

We will be watching for your Timeline rendering results and, if indicated, the rest.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync

Good Morning

That is correct, there is an orange line over the content and around the timeline when I drag the video file into the timeline.

Please see below the Media info screenshot

media info.png

As you can see the frame rate is variable. That will be down to the way the videoconferencing codec and the Cisco bridge work. If there are very little changes in the frame it will be a low frame rate where as if it is live video and there is a lot movement in the frame then it will transmit at a higher frame rate.

This doesn't really explain though how it plays bak perfectly in windows media player but not in premier, surely?

I have done as you said and rendered the video in the preview before I have made any changes and the issue remains.

Baffled!

Many thanks again

Luke

• 6. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Simple playback and editing are VERY different... and, yes, trying to edit a Variable Frame Rate video CAN BE the cause of problems for all versions of Premiere... check with the vendor you use to record the video to find out if they have a tool to convert their video to a Constant Frame Rate

• 7. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Luke

Thanks for the reply with the details.

You have one Premiere Elements atypical video there. Not only is the video using a variable frame rate, but the frame size is neither 4:3 or 16:9. And there is no Premiere Elements project present for that format. Consequently, if you end up using the program's default project preset (if NTSC system) NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30, you will have huge black borders.

If you cannot find a more conventional format for importing, editing, and export, then let us try this

1. Take your 1280 x 412 @ its 3.333 to 1000 progressive frames per second frame rate into HandBrake.

http://handbrake.fr/

In the HandBrake opening workspace, go to Source/Open File to browse to and select your file saved to your computer hard drive.

After you do, leave the Picture Tab settings that you see as is. They and all that you are now looking at should look like. Look at all the settings. Do not forget to Browse to and set the Destination among other things. You are going to get a 1280 x 720 16:9 from your 1280 x 412 with this set.

HandBrake 1.JPG

Next click on the Video Tab to open it and set for Constant frame rate 23.976 frames per second.

With the Video Tab selected and Constant frame rate set, you should be looking at

HandBrake 2.JPG

Next hit the green Start button at the top left of the workspace and watch for the completion of the conversion

(See progress bar at bottom left of workspace and the words Queue Finished.)

Open Premiere Elements and manually set the project preset for NTSC AVCHD AVCHD-LITE 720p324.

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

In the Change Settings area, change the project preset to NTSC AVCHD AVCHD-LITE 720p24.

Before exiting that area, in the new project dialog, be sure to have a check mark next to

"Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, import you converted video via the project with

Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

Then let us know the outcome. There should be no video distortion in this.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Luke

Referring to post 7....

If the screenshots look blurred, please click on them to bring up the sharp image.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync

Hi

Thank you for you helpful hints.

I was very busy yesterday so I didn't get round to trying this.

I will have a go today

Many thanks

• 10. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync

Hi

For some reason, Handbrake does not see any of the video files when I browse to the folder.

This is the same with all video files. All MP4 and WMV

You must be getting fed up!

• 11. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync

Ignore that last one, drag and drop works

• 12. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync

Well the variable frame rate clearly was the problem because using handbrake fixed it a treat, its just a shame there isn't a setting that can be changed on the content server.

Thank you so much for your assistance, you have been very helpful.

• 13. Re: My preview audio and video are out of sync
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Luke

Thanks for the great news. Great job.

Many are running into the variable frame rate factor in dealing with Premiere Elements and video recorded with the variable frame rate. The extent of the problem goes from audio out of sync to not being able to use the video at all in a Premiere Elements project. So far I have not seen these problems with my iPod videos and some borrowed iPhone 5 videos which do record with a variable frames rate.

You wrote...

You must be getting fed up!

As long as there is an existing question, I am glad for the opportunity to be of assistance. Lately I have been staying up later and later and getting a later and later start of my day. So major catch and need to keep track of thread in the busy thread traffic here. If my replies are not within one day of posting, be sure to send me an Adobe Private Message asking "Where have you been?".

On the matter of HandBrake and importing your file...under Source, be sure to make the distinction between Open File and Open Folder. When I am in a hurry, I have been known to make the wrong choice for what I want.

Best wishes.

ATR