1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 12:31 PM by areohbee

Aperture to Lightroom move, super large number of photos and videos

Lunin

Hi everyone. I am moving my photo and video collection from Aperture libraries to Lightroom. Editing is so much better in lightroom, but with image organization I run in into tons of problems. The biggest one is size. I have around 500,000 photos and videos. I have only imported 7,000 and preview catalogs are getting huge, 16Gbs right now. Would love suggestions on large photo/video storage management.

• 1. Re: Aperture to Lightroom move, super large number of photos and videos
          areohbee Level 5

Just one thing for now: preview data size is controlled by automatically expiring 1:1 previews (or manually deleting them), and making sure standard previews are no larger than necessary - they can be medium or "low" (not that low) quality, and do not need to be larger than your monitor size (and can be substantially smaller, if preview storage is a primary concern). Also, note: previews can be relocated to another disk if the one where the catalog has to be isn't big enough - just make a link in the catalog folder to where the previews will actually be - not recommended except as a last resort: generally better to get a bigger drive (or relocate entire catalog folder) if possible..

PS - Don't make 1:1 previews upon import unless you really need them.