3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 1:46 PM by Rick Gerard

Exporting .mp4s in CC 2014

slannigan

Several codecs, including H.264, look as if they have been removed from CC 2014 (http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/adobe-media-encoder-h-264-mpeg-2-wmv-after-eff ects.html). In this recent reference document (http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/after_effects_reference.pdf), it says "Note: If removed codecs are needed for existing After Effects workflows, they can be enabled in Preferences." This can be accomplished in CC by going to "Edit > Preferences > Output" and enabling "Show Deprecated Formats in Output Module Settings." However, this option is not there in CC 2014.

I know you can export to .mp4 using Adobe Media Encoder, but I'm in a situation where avoiding AME is ideal if possible. Is there any way to enable deprecated formats in CC 2014?

• 1. Re: Exporting .mp4s in CC 2014
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Nope.  They're gone... and a LOT of people aren't happy about it.

• 2. Re: Exporting .mp4s in CC 2014
            slannigan Level 1

Actually, I just discovered a way to export H.264 files! It requires being able to export Quicktime files.

1. Edit > Templates > Output Modules

2. Add a new module, or click 'edit' on the one you'd like to use to export H.264 files

3. In the Format dropdown select Quicktime

4. Click on Format Options (in the Video Output section)

5. From the Video Codec dropdown, select H.264

6. Now, using this module, you can export a *.mov file that uses an H.264 codec. Once it's exported, you can rename that *.mov file to be a *.mp4 file and it can be viewed smoothly.

• 3. Re: Exporting .mp4s in CC 2014
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This will give you an h.264 movie file but it will not be very high quality unless you jack the data rate way way up compared to rendering an MP4 with AME. If you are uploading to YouTube or Vimeo the movie will be recompressed by their software because the h.264 compression is not recognized as is an mp4 file. This is a workflow that will compress an H.264 in a quicktime mov container but  it is not recommended because the mov container for h.264 files can be really funky.