10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2014 3:18 PM by Ken Nielsen

New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?

Ken Nielsen Level 1

I have learned, over time, to be very carful with Lightroom and now is no exception...

I copied all of my files, the complete library of photos, over to a new Thunderbolt hard drive. I then erased and renamed the old firewire drive and now use that for a backup.:

My question is: When I opened Lightroom it acted as if nothing had happened and all of the photos are showing. What is Lightroom doing? Is it using the old drive which is now a backup even though I renamed it? or, is Lightroom 5 so smart that it sees the new Thunderbolt drive and library and just decided on its own that 'this' is what is going to use?

I have no idea what is going on, but since it is day 1 I want to be sure Lightroom is using the correct library, not the backup.

Can someone help me determine that things are in place and working as they should?

TIA,

Ken

• 1. Re: New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the new Thunderbolt drive has the same drive letter or name as the old drive then nothing changes. That's where the files are located and it's business as usual. There isn't much else to say unless you have more questions. One way to verify that would be to right-click on one of the images and choose to show it in your system browser. Then you would be able to verify the path.

• 2. Re: New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?
            Ken Nielsen Level 1

JimHess wrote:

If the new Thunderbolt drive has the same drive letter or name as the old drive then nothing changes. That's where the files are located and it's business as usual. There isn't much else to say unless you have more questions. One way to verify that would be to right-click on one of the images and choose to show it in your system browser. Then you would be able to verify the path.

Yes, please see my original post, as it tells how I have renamed the drives. There is no longer a drive with the name that the old firewire drive used to have. - This is my concern, that Lightroom is still seeing the old drive, irregardless of having changed the name of the drive and is still seeing that, which is now the backup drive and using it as the primary drive. I want Lightroom to use the new Thunderbolt drive as the original drive now. How do I tell Lightroom to choose the library on the new Thunderbolt drive as the main drive now?

• 3. Re: New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?

I'm sorry, I'm still a little unclear. What is the name or drive letter of the new Thunderbolt drive? When you locate your images in the library module in Lightroom, are there "!" icons on the images or "?" on the folders?

• 4. Re: New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?
                Ken Nielsen Level 1

JimHess wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm still a little unclear. What is the name or drive letter of the new Thunderbolt drive? When you locate your images in the library module in Lightroom, are there "!" icons on the images or "?" on the folders?

Thanks JimHess, No "!" or "?" on anything. This is what lead me to believe that Lightroom is still 'attached' to one of the catalogs, my suspicion is that it's the backup catalog on the old, now renamed drive. I don't know how to tell what the drive letter is on a drive, The name of the new Thunderbolt drive is "Thunderbolt 01" The old drive is now erased and renamed "TB 01 backup" and has a complete backup of the drive where the Library now exists on the Thunderbolt drive. Hope that is clear. Words get in the way sometimes.

• 5. Re: New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?

I apologize for having to ask so many questions. But what was the name of the old drive before you renamed it? Additionally, if you go to the library module and right-click on one of your images, one of the options in Windows is to "Show in Explorer" and on the Mac I assume it would be to "Show in Finder". If you click on that option it should open your system browser and show you the folder where that file is located. And at the top of that window you should be able to see the name of the drive and folder you are looking at.

• 6. Re: New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?
                    Ken Nielsen Level 1

JimHess wrote:

I apologize for having to ask so many questions. But what was the name of the old drive before you renamed it? Additionally, if you go to the library module and right-click on one of your images, one of the options in Windows is to "Show in Explorer" and on the Mac I assume it would be to "Show in Finder". If you click on that option it should open your system browser and show you the folder where that file is located. And at the top of that window you should be able to see the name of the drive and folder you are looking at.

The name of the old drive was "LaCie New 2TB" - I will now look at what comes up when I choose 'Show in finder' ( I'm on a Mac)

Okay, back here and what I found was right-clicking on one of the images brings up "“A32Z7813.CR2” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?"

So, even though I have no question marks or exclamation marks, Lightroom does not see the original Library or Catalog (which one is it?) of original images.

So, I think the question is, How do I tell Lightroom to use the complete original files that are now on the new Thunderbolt drive?

• 7. Re: New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?

I wonder if you are using compact cells rather than expanded cells. At any rate, go to your folder tree in the library module. If you have all of your images organized within one master folder, right-click on that master folder and choose, "Update Folder Location". Then you should be able to browse to your new Thunderbolt drive and choose the appropriate folder. If you don't have everything organized in one master folder then you will have to follow that procedure for each folder in order to switch them to the new drive.

• 8. Re: New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?
                        Ken Nielsen Level 1

I'm not sure what the 'folder tree' is in Lightroom but here is a screen shot of my Lightroom 5 in Library mode.

As you can see, it shows photos under the left hand column but not as a 'master folder' which is how my images are saved. Right-clicking on that does not give me an option to update anything.lightroom_screen_shot.png

I did click on the blanked out (missing) LaCie New 2TB and right-clicked and selected "New Location" and that made a huge mess now because it shows all the photos in one blob and not neatly packed away in a structure by year and date. All of that is now gone. I have to stop doing any work until I get this resolved.

• 9. Re: New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?

I apologize. We apparently have a terminology misunderstanding. I have provided at the bottom of this message a screenshot showing what I am referring to. In the left-hand column in the library module there is a section called "Folders". There is a little triangle to the left side of that heading that is pointing right, indicating that your "tree" is collapsed so you can't see The different folders that contain your images. Click on that triangle and it will point downwards and will display all of your folders containing images that you have worked on in Lightroom. It looks to me like Lightroom is only showing your main hard drive plus the old one that you have converted to a backup drive. At least from what you posted, it doesn't appear that Lightroom is seeing the new Thunderbolt drive.

Capture.JPG

• 10. Re: New Thunderbolt drive, How, or Do I even need to tell Lightroom where the Library is?
                            Ken Nielsen Level 1

Okay, I Closed Lightroom and reopened and now the images are there and all is well. Hacking is the way to discovery sometimes...