5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 10:46 PM by GJGLB

How do I print a spread with multiple page sizes?

GJGLB

Hello fellow designers!!!!

I'm trying to make a production dummy by printing double sided. My document has an extra fold on the outer edge (see attached image).

I want to print 'D11-D12' as one spread with the reverse side as 'D13-12', so that I can simply fold in the outer edge and spiral bind the spine.

When I input the range 'D11-D12, D13-12' the printer prints 'D11' on one side and 'D12' on the reverse same with 'D13' and '12'.

How do I get this spread happening the way I want? I'd appreciate any help I can get as time is mot my friend on this one!

Thanks,

Gordon

Screen shot 2014-07-15 at 11.39.08.png

• 1. Re: How do I print a spread with multiple page sizes?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To print spreads you need to check the spreads box in the print dialog. I suspect you probably also need to have a left-hand page as the first one in the range.

• 2. Re: How do I print a spread with multiple page sizes?
            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

It's a little complicated.

First, you must have spreads checked in the print dialog box.

Then turn off Allow Document to Shuffle and Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle.

Then, you need to separate the left-hand page from the right side island spread

Then you need to drag the page that used to be on the right side, back onto the right. (It may have moved over to the left of the left of the spine.)

And then separate the right-hand page from the next left side spread.

It should look like this:

island spread.png

Pages 5-6 are the right side with the extra fold.

Pages 7-8 are the left side with the extra fold.

• 3. Re: How do I print a spread with multiple page sizes?
              GJGLB Level 1

Sandee, I think you're onto something here. I've managed to separate the spreads from the spine as you suggested, however, I'm still getting the same result. The preview in the print dialogue is exactly what I want, yet the printout itself still print 'D11' on the back of 'D12'. I'm under a mountain of failed printouts! In the end I gave up and just taped the extra fold to the dummy manually.

I'd love to figure this out though for future use, so any more input would be divine!

Thank you so much for helping out!

Screen shot 2014-07-15 at 19.00.28.pngScreen shot 2014-07-15 at 19.03.33.png

• 4. Re: How do I print a spread with multiple page sizes?
                Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I have an idea as to what the problem is. Notice in my example above the page numbers are sequential.

But yours have been changed to work with your island spreads.

You could renumbers the pages as shown here:

fix.png

Or, if you don't want to change your page numbers, and I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that, try, when printing create absolute numbers in front of the page numbers such as +11-+14.

Because you're not really printing from D11-12. (I know, you're considering the second page 12 with no prefix to be 12.) But by putting the + sign in front of the numbers you're saying print the actual eleventh, twelfth, thirteenth, and fourteenth pages. Because D13 and 12 are the thirteenth and fourteenth.

• 5. Re: How do I print a spread with multiple page sizes?
                  GJGLB Level 1

BRILLIANT!!!!!!! Twas the prefix '+' that did the trick! That'll definitely make life easier in the future!

Thanks for being a hardcore InDesign user!