1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 10:58 PM by areohbee

Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2

PhotoHeRo Level 1

I am switching over from Nikon Capture Nx2 to Lightroom 5.5    Of course I have a lot of NEF-pictures that have been developed in Capture (years of work!), which I am now trying to import.  In the Import function I see that Lightroom recognizes the modifications I applied to the NEF format, because it shows them correctly in the preview.  But after the import, I see that the very original NEF photo is shown as if it came straight out of the camera, so all previous mods have vanished.  This means that Lightroom is capable of recognizing Capture NX2 NEF-modifications, but how can I make sure they are  processed during the import?

• 1. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
          dj_paige Level 9

I believe that the Import dialog box in Lightroom shows the JPG preview that is embedded in the NEF file, and this will usually be different than the unedited NEF. I think this is what you are seeing.

To have your edits from Capture NX2 appear in Lightroom, you have to use Capture NX2 to save the files as TIF, and then import the TIF files into Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
            PhotoHeRo Level 1

Hi DJ_Paige, thank you for your answer.  But I never use the NEF-JPG combination;   I photograph purely in NEF, then I imported in Capture, did my development, saved the NEF, and then saved a JPG copy in a totally different folder.   I surely appreciate your hint to save the pictures as TIF, but how do you save 10.000 pictures?  ;-)

Roger

• 3. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
              dj_paige Level 9

All NEF files have an embedded JPG, this is not a separate JPG file; even if your camera is not set to RAW+JPG, even if it is set to RAW only; I'm pretty sure that's what you are seeing

I don't use Capture NX2, but wouldn't the procedure be the same as in any other program: select all photos (Ctrl-A), and then save as TIF

• 4. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                PhotoHeRo Level 1

If each NEF file has an embedded JPG, then I wonder why for example Windows Explorer is not capable of showing thumbnails in a folder where NEFS are stored?

You're right about the way TIF's are generated in Capture, but there is the practical obstacle:  I have 14.870 files in 1057 folders!    Of course I do not need all of them to be re-edited in LR, but there will always be a preliminary step if I read you right.   So the conclusion is that LR does not read edited NEFS and I will have to convert them first to TIF.  OK, nothing is perfect, although from the things I've seen since working and video-learning with LR (just 2 days) I think it is a fantastic program with unbelievable possibilities. I'm sold!

• 5. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                  dj_paige Level 9

If each NEF file has an embedded JPG, then I wonder why for example Windows Explorer is not capable of showing thumbnails in a folder where NEFS are stored?

I don't know, maybe you need the proper codec/plug-in ... but why does it matter if you have two programs (lightroom and capture NX2) that can show you what the photo looks like?

You're right about the way TIF's are generated in Capture, but there is the practical obstacle:  I have 14.870 files in 1057 folders!

As I said, I don't use Capture NX2, however I would hope there is a way to select all photos in all folders (as there is in Lightroom), and then do the save as TIF ... but you would need to see if this saves in the original folders ... as you are the user of Capture NX2, you could test it out and see if does what you want

• 6. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problem you are having is that CNX2 makes adjustments to your NEF files and stores the information where Nikon put the adjustments in their NEF file. Every manufacturer has their own raw file format. There isn't a standard, so that is why Adobe has to ignore most of the settings, and why there has to be Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom to enable users to edit their raw files. Also, I believe that CNX2 is considered a nondestructive editor as well, which means that all of the adjustments you made are not "attached" to the file. If you want images in Lightroom that reflect all of the changes that you made previously then I suggest that you export TIF copies from CNX2, and add those to your Lightroom catalog.

• 7. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Explorer needs to know how to get at the embedded JPG within the NEF structures and needs some codec to tell it how, which you probably don’t have installed.  Nikon makes a codec and so do third-party companies, and maybe even Apple and Microsoft but you may need to install it.

I would ask yourself why you feel the need to have Nikon rendering visible in Adobe products.  Why not just import the NEFs and start again with the ones you want to work on?

If you are going to do a wholesale conversion of all 14000 photos, then do them as JPGs—the disk space used will be much smaller, then you can redo the few you really care about as TIFs one-by-one.  Mostly you won’t know the difference.  I would also start at the most recent and/or most important ones, and then as the photos are older and less relevant, then you can just stop doing it.

• 8. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                        kervanoel14 Level 1

I have NIKON D5300 and import easyli on lightroom by converting them to DNG format. I have 25% more space on my HD.

• 9. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                          areohbee Level 5

In my opinion, it would be insane to save your entire NX2 library as tiff (unless you have one hella big drive for it..).

Consider instead "permanently" extracting the embedded jpeg in Lightroom using a plugin like NxToo (I wrote it, and it's free).

RawPlusJpeg will also do it. Much faster than re-saving them all in NX2..

That's what I would do, but to each their own..

Cheers,

Rob

• 10. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                            areohbee Level 5

kervanoel14 wrote:

I have NIKON D5300 and import easyli on lightroom by converting them to DNG format. I have 25% more space on my HD.

That won't help the OP's problem - converting to DNG will not preserve NX2 edits.

PS - Make sure you don't save the large previews in those DNGs or your files may be bigger than the NEFs.

PPS - NX2 (the latest version) can strip jpeg previews from NEF files, en mass, so you could do 2 things:

1. Save as jpeg in NX2 then import in Lightroom (or extract jpeg preview in Lightroom using a plugin).

2. Remove jpeg preview using NX2, to save storage.

Rob

• 11. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                              PhotoHeRo Level 1

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your answer!

If I should use jpeg's as a starting point in LR, either by extracting them with the plug-in or by using the saved jpeg's directly, I will be losing the pure sensor information stored in the NEF format, so for example no white balance changes, no exposure compensation or other camera settings, and that is the exact reason why I'm shooting in Raw!  I know you can edit the exposure compensation and WB in jpegs in LR, but in RAW the margins are much more extended.  .

Roger

• 12. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Roger,

What you are beginning to realize is that there are three parts to a NEF file (jpg preview, original raw data, CaptureNX2 edits) and that LR knows how to read only the jpg preview and some parts of the original raw data.  LR does not know what to do with much of the camera settings in the original raw data, and LR has no clue what to do with the CaptureNX2 edits.

Unfortunately, your best bet for preserving as much raw data as possible is going to be to convert each NEF file to a 16-bit format (probably a compressed TIFF) using CaptureNX2 then import those files into LR.  Unfortunately, using any other program to do the conversion will probably result in only the original raw data being converted, not the NX2 edits.

Alternatively, if you are willing to ignore the CNX2 edits, you can directly import the old NEF files into LR and use LR to create a new set of edits without going through an intermediate file.

Joseph

• 13. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                  PhotoHeRo Level 1

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your answer!

What troubles me is your statement 'LR does not know what to do with much of the camera settings in the original raw data'.  Does this mean that when importing NEW pictures in LR it is all the same whether I process them as NEF, JPG, TIF, DNG?  And that I'm loosing the strong advantage of Capture Nx2 to thoroughly exploit the camera settings & sensor information?  That would be very sad.

roger

• 14. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                    areohbee Level 5

PhotoHeRo wrote:

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your answer!

HI Roger - you're welcome .

PhotoHeRo wrote:

If I should use jpeg's as a starting point in LR, either by extracting them with the plug-in or by using the saved jpeg's directly, I will be losing the pure sensor information stored in the NEF format, so for example no white balance changes, no exposure compensation or other camera settings, and that is the exact reason why I'm shooting in Raw!  I know you can edit the exposure compensation and WB in jpegs in LR, but in RAW the margins are much more extended.  .

Roger

I think you've missed the point. The reason to have the jpegs in Lightroom is because you've already done all that raw editing in NX2, so why waste it? In other words, you can export those jpegs as is in Lightroom, or make minor tweaks and then export, but there is NOTHING stopping you from re-processing the raw in Lightroom, you just need to be aware when doing so that you will be starting completely from scratch, since none of the NX2 edits carry over to the raw. And that is true of ALL raw converters today - none can read/apply the edits of any other.

Cheers,

Rob

• 15. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                      areohbee Level 5

PhotoHeRo wrote:

And that I'm loosing the strong advantage of Capture Nx2 to thoroughly exploit the camera settings & sensor information?  That would be very sad.

You'll be losing ALL your NX2 edits, and MOST of your camera settings, but NONE of the raw sensor data. In other words, Lightroom provides full power to get the most from your raw files. I mean, I often preferred NX2 over Lr2, but while Nikon/Nik/Google have been resting on their haunches (Capture NX-wise I mean), Adobe has come up with strong upgrades in the form of Lr3 and then Lr4, and to a lesser extent Lr5. NX2 still has some features I sorely miss in Lightroom (e.g. U-points and all adjustments localizable), but Adobe knows how to wring good image quality from those NEFs - don't underestimate it..

Cheers,

Rob

• 16. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                        PhotoHeRo Level 1

Rob,

You're absolutely right!  I was eagerly expecting NX3 as a strong successor to NX2 which I have been using for years, yes, with those fabulous U-points.  But in the new version called NX-D, the 'D' stands for Disaster!  No more U-points, probably as a result from the buy-over Google did with Nik, since Nikon does no or few software development themselves.  I'm still using Nik software Suite with Lightroom.  For the little I experienced with Lightroom 5.5 in only 3 days, it is great!

Thanks for your contribution, as well as all other members here in this community for their advice!

Roger

• 17. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

PhotoHeRo wrote:

Hey Joe,

Thanks for your answer!

What troubles me is your statement 'LR does not know what to do with much of the camera settings in the original raw data'.  Does this mean that when importing NEW pictures in LR it is all the same whether I process them as NEF, JPG, TIF, DNG?  And that I'm loosing the strong advantage of Capture Nx2 to thoroughly exploit the camera settings & sensor information?  That would be very sad.

roger

LR and ACR know how to read the sensor data.  The camera settings and Picture Controls (sharpening, contrast, saturation, etc) are ignored except for white balance.  For the ignored camera settings, Adobe applies their own defaults (or your saved preferences).  You still get the value of 12-bit or 14-bit data editing from the NEF file.  What you lose is the initial view of the raw data where Nikon uses all the camera setting flags to make the raw data look like the jpg preview.

When using CNX2 to write changes back to the NEF files, only Nikon's software is going to know what to do with that data when read later.

Knowing that I use mostly non-Nikon software for my post processing, as starting points I use the "neutral" Picture Control and LR's "camera neutral" preset so that we all mostly agree on what the picture initially looks like.

Rob Cole wrote:

You'll be losing ALL your NX2 edits, and MOST of your camera settings, but NONE of the raw sensor data. In other words, Lightroom provides full power to get the most from your raw files. I mean, I often preferred NX2 over Lr2, but while Nikon/Nik/Google have been resting on their haunches (Capture NX-wise I mean), Adobe has come up with strong upgrades in the form of Lr3 and then Lr4, and to a lesser extent Lr5. NX2 still has some features I sorely miss in Lightroom (e.g. U-points and all adjustments localizable), but Adobe knows how to wring good image quality from those NEFs - don't underestimate it..

Cheers,

Rob

Good points here by Rob.  Nikon's licensing of Nik's u-point technology ended a long time ago.  And it will be missed.  However, the editor in LR is a good one, and its auto-masking for the adjustment brush is pretty good.  CNX2 can be configured as an external editor in LR just like Photoshop can be.

• 18. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                            PhotoHeRo Level 1

Thanks everyone!

I learned a great deal from you experienced LR users

Roger

• 19. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PhotoHeRo wrote:

But after the import, I see that the very original NEF photo is shown as if it came straight out of the camera, so all previous mods have vanished.  This means that Lightroom is capable of recognizing Capture NX2 NEF-modifications, but how can I make sure they are  processed during the import?

Yes, those NX2 edits are proprietary, LR doesn't understand them, nor would this work going the other way. Raw is read only, instructions which are unique to each raw converter are created. Those instructions and the processing to render the raw is proprietary. You can either save out a rendered TIFF from Capture, which would now bake the edits and new pixels into that new TIFF or start from scratch in LR building new instructions it understands.

As to what you see on import, it's an embedded JPEG in the NEF as other's have said, it's not useful.

• 20. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                areohbee Level 5

Andrew Rodney wrote:

it's not useful

True: It's not useful because Adobe has no native support for it.

False: Adobe has no native support for it because it's not useful.

• 21. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2

Rob Cole wrote:

Andrew Rodney wrote:

it's not useful

True: It's not useful because Adobe has no native support for it.

False: Adobe has no native support for it because it's not useful.

What's useful about a thumbnail? The rendering instructions and the rendering engine are unique for each raw converter. The embedded JPEG was built from the camera, so if that's what you want, shoot JPEG. I don't see the usefulness of a small preview or even a large one that has no bearing on the raw data the OP will produce using whatever raw converter and it's proprietary process it will use.

• 22. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                    areohbee Level 5

There is a fairly extensive discussion about it here:

Lightroom: capability to display embedded preview

Also, you can go there to vote for Adobe to add native support for embedded previews - it has my vote .

To be clear: just because you don't see the usefullness, doesn't mean it isn't useful (to others for sure, even if not to you) .

• 23. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2

Rob Cole wrote:

To be clear: just because you don't see the usefullness, doesn't mean it isn't useful (to others for sure, even if not to you) .

Why don't you explain what I'd do with a preview, usually rather small (it depends on the camera) that's built from the camera and I could have if I just set the camera for a JPEG (or raw+JPEG). What am I missing considering I set the camera for raw and I want to process that data as I desire, specifically in Lightroom? You never know, you might get me to vote.

• 24. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                        areohbee Level 5

Andrew Rodney wrote:

The embedded JPEG was built from the camera.

If you've edited the raw file in NX2, then the embedded jpeg represents the raw image as edited in NX2, it's no longer the in-camera rendition.

• 25. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2

Rob Cole wrote:

Andrew Rodney wrote:

The embedded JPEG was built from the camera.

If you've edited the raw file in NX2, then the embedded jpeg represents the raw image as edited in NX2, it's no longer the in-camera rendition.

OK, so why would I want that embedded JPEG when I have the raw and want to process the raw? Why am I using NX2 and LR? What would I do, in the case of the OP with a pile of raws and previews, can't I just have NX2 render them larger and with better quality (and perhaps NOT JPEG)? Would this work equally with non Nikon raws? If not, do you expect Adobe to put in a feature just for NX2/Nikon users? If I edit the image in LR, there's a preview too, I'd equally expect Adobe to let me suck that out as well, wait, I'll just export that to a size, color space, bit depth I want. Sorry, I’m not seeing how extracting a camera generated preview or one that's been further baked in the raw is useful. Certainly not for this Canon shooter

• 26. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                            areohbee Level 5

The ability to access embedded previews in Lightroom is not only useful for Nikon shooters - access to the edited (or camera-produced) preview in Canon raws and DNGs would also be worthwhile..

PS - Adobe already has the code in Lightroom to pull the embedded previews, for all models it supports - that's what you're seeing in import dialog box - the small version in grid, and the large version in loupe.

To be clear: it's usefullness falls in the category of "convenience", not "essential" - not a deal breaker, but a feature that is in great demand, as evidenced by the 'Idea' posted in the feedback forum - link in post above). One can always import a rendered jpeg in Lightroom, or open the raw in ViewNX/CaptureNX2 (or DPP..), if need be, or curiosity aroused..

Rob

• 27. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2

Rob Cole wrote:

The ability to access embedded previews in Lightroom is not only useful for Nikon shooters - access to the edited (or camera-produced) preview in Canon raws and DNGs would also be worthwhile..

You keep saying it's useful here and on your request page but don't explain why, certainly in an LR workflow.

IF I want a camera generated JPEG, I'll pick that option (I don't want it). Or I'll shoot raw+JPEG (I still don't want it).

IF I want a camera generated JPEG that's updated by edits in NX2, I'd use that produce (I don't, I use Lightroom).

I don't see how a camera or another raw processor building a JPEG preview is at all useful in LR but I'm waiting on that.... Apparently Adobe doesn't either as it's been something like 3 years since you asked so I suppose great minds think alike here.

DNG is completely different! For one, it's embedded JPEG represents the LR processing not something it didn’t produce. I'd submit it is far more useful for Adobe to allow one to extract this large (if so set) JPEG from a DNG which prefectly matches the current raw rendering rather than extract some camera generated JPEG which LR can't use and updates as we import. I suspect that's why Adobe isn't doing it. IF you want them to consider this feature, you need to do a lot better job explaining why and what you'd do with a camera or NX2 generated JPEG within LR proper. I've been doing this with Adobe engineers for two decades, it ain't easy!

Rob Cole wrote:

To be clear: it's usefullness falls in the category of "convenience", not "essential" - not a deal breaker, but a feature that is in great demand, as evidenced by the 'Idea' posted in the feedback forum - link in post above).

I don't even see it being convenient based on what the data in that JPEG represents. But at some point you can explain within an LR workflow why I'd want a rendering I can't produce in the product I'm using, I'm all ears.

• 28. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                                areohbee Level 5

It's not the only feature some users clamor for that other users wouldn't care about.

Me? I have no use for tethering..

Cheers,

Rob

• 29. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2

Rob Cole wrote:

Me? I have no use for tethering..

Neither do I, but I'd have no problem explaining what it does and why someone would use it. That's not the case in either forum location in terms of your feature request. It explains cleary to me why Adobe is ignoring it. If you want the feature, you have to work to explain why Adobe would spend the time and money to make it. You haven't.

• 30. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                                    areohbee Level 5

I don't have the time/energy/desire to try and convince you, or Adobe.. - I can get by without it.

• 31. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2

Rob Cole wrote:

I don't have the time/energy/desire to try and convince you, or Adobe.. - I can get by without it.

Since you haven't made any effort to explain the why's, you probably will not get it. If and when you can spend the time/energy/desire to try and convince me, or more importantly Adobe, that might change but I suspect based on your inability to explain, it's a pointless want bump of yours. Funny you brought this subject up when it appears you really don't care. Maybe we can get back OT and help the OP.

• 32. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                                        areohbee Level 5

Andrew Rodney wrote:

you haven't made any effort

Au contrare - I've made quite a lot of effort: all I care to at this point. It's not that big of a deal, so if you don't understand or Adobe is not convinced - so be it. I care, but not enough to keep participating in the "debate" about it..

PS - I prefer to expend my energy in a way that is more fruitful - for example, I have written plugins which support the need/desire for extracted jpeg previews: not as convenient as native support would be, but will suffice until Adobe comes around, or forever..

Rob

• 33. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2

Rob Cole wrote:

PS - I prefer to expend my energy in a way that is more fruitful - for example, I have written plugins which support the need/desire for extracted jpeg previews: not as convenient as native support would be, but will suffice until Adobe comes around, or forever..

So one assumes on the site with that plug-in, you explain why someone would use or want it?

• 34. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                                            areohbee Level 5

Andrew Rodney wrote:

you explain why?

People who download a plugin so they can extract jpeg previews know why they want them and what they'll do with them..

'nuff said..

• 35. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2

Rob Cole wrote:

'nuff said..

I guess so, I guess Adobe and I are in agreement and have zero idea why anyone would do this and we should move on and aid the OP (who doesn't need said plug-in).

• 36. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                                                areohbee Level 5

Andrew Rodney wrote:

I guess Adobe and I are in agreement.

Just because it hasn't been implemented yet does not mean Adobe doesn't understand why users want it.

Andrew Rodney wrote:

aid the OP

The possibilities for the OP were pretty-much presented above and acknowledged by the OP, but to review:

1. Save a copy in NX2 (tiff or jpeg) for Lr.

2. Extract a jpeg copy for Lr using a plugin.

3. Do without an NX2-edited (or camera-rendered) copy in Lr.

Regardless of which option you choose, you can edit the raws from scratch in Lightroom.

If anybody wants to discuss the pros and cons of the various possibilities for having the NX2-edited (or camera-rendered) copy in Lightroom, speak up (if we haven't scared you off..).

Rob

• 37. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2

Rob Cole wrote:

Just because it hasn't been implemented yet does not mean Adobe doesn't understand why users want it.

Rob, enought! It's been over 3 years, don't hold your breath. You've taken this way OT too and brought up this silliness you can't explain.

Rob Cole wrote:

The possibilities for the OP were pretty-much presented above and acknowledged by the OP, but to review:

1. Save a copy in NX2 (tiff or jpeg) for Lr.

2. Extract a jpeg copy for Lr using a plugin.

3. Do without an NX2-edited copy in Lr.

None of which has anything to do with extracting a preview! #2 is totally unnecessary for the OP, he's got all his edited raws in NX2 and while I don't use it, I'd be shocked IF he couldn't select all his raws and export a JPEG or better (TIFF), at any size and any color space, in high bit which the silly preview can't provide. All his image he desires he can now be used outside of NX2 without the need to worry about some sRGB, 8-bit per color, god knows how much compression JPEG from the camera!

LR can't understand anything NX2 has done up to that point. So he exports properly and moves on. Or starts from scratch with the raws in LR using it's unique proprietary processing. Again, nothing to do with your need to extract a preview. If you really, really need to SELL your plug-in's, do this: aid the OP and explain what your product does and why. If you can't do that, move on. One thing is sure, it's been 3 years and your feature request has no traction, you're not even part of the LR prerlease which says a lot about getting this 'feature' if I can be so kind, implemented.

• 38. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                                                    areohbee Level 5

Andrew Rodney wrote:

enough

There is more than one way to look at things, I think we've proven that, if nothing else..

PS - I'm not trying to sell plugins: neither literally nor figuratively. I inform people they are available, in case they want to use them (all my plugins are free of charge, and include source code).

But for the record: I am proud of the work I've done to expand Lightroom's capabilities and serve various users needs, including my own - so if that sentiment comes through despite my attempts at keeping cool, then gee, sorry, I guess, (not).

• 39. Re: Importing NEF-pictures from Nikon Capture NX2
                                                                                      areohbee Level 5

To make clear a couple of technical points:

Regardless of size/quality chosen for embedded preview in camera, when you edit in NX2, it saves a full-rez, high-quality jpeg in the raw file - in AdobeRGB if you want, or sRGB.

Although jpegs are "8-bit", because of how the information is stored (non-linear, lookup tables..) they can store very accurate color information. Even Andrew Rodney could hardly tell the difference between a printed DNG preview (also 8-bit jpeg) and a print taken from the raw - same is true of jpeg preview embedded in NEF files by NX2 - they are very high quality, and full resolution.

FWIW: the main advantages of using a plugin to extract already-rendered previews, instead of re-rendering/saving in NX2:

* It's much, much faster, and they're auto-imported in Lr immediately.

* Since they can be generated, quickly, in Lightroom, at any time, you can delete them from Lightroom after they've served their purpose - extract on demand if you want..

Again - I'm not pushing anything, but these are things which may be worth knowing, in my opinion..

Rob

1 2 Previous Next