15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2014 1:38 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier elements 12 editing

rgleason47

I am looking into purchasing a video editor, and Premier 12 is on the list.  I am currently using IiMovie, which I find lacking in a couple of areas.  Basic question about editing capability.  I have a 30 year old video that was shot without proper lighting, and therefor is really dark.  In using PHOTO editors, I can use the backlight option to lighten the pic as if there was a flash.  Does Premier Elemets 12 have a feature similar to this.

I can brighten the frame in iMovie but that is not the same as 'adding flash' (just one area that I find lacking in iMovie).

I hope I explained this clearly.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
          A.T. Romano Level 7

rgleason47

When all is said on done, you need to download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12 Mac to determine if its features meet your specific video editing needs.

Premiere Elements 12 has an Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Lighting Panel area

AdjustEffectsLighting.JPG

Also, there are Image Control opportunities and others under the fx Effects.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user and my screenshot is from Premiere Elements 12 Windows.

I am assuming that you will find the same in Premiere Elements 12 Mac.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
            rgleason47 Level 1

I had looked to see if there was a trial version and failed to find it.  I will now download and play with it.

THanks

• 3. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
              rgleason47 Level 1

Okay.  I Tried downloading Premier elements 12 free trail.  first issue was that, despite the website's instructions, I did not have the option to choose the operating system, in this case, Mac OS.  I downloaded the installer and tried to install anyway but aborted when I sensed that I was downloading the windows version, as it would not install in my 'applications' folder.

This is the link to where I was operating from.  Is the correct one?  If so, what am I doing wrong?   Thanks.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements&loc=us

• 4. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                rgleason47 Level 1

Okay.  I Tried downloading Premier elements 12 free trail.  first issue was that, despite the website's instructions, I did not have the option to choose the operating system, in this case, Mac OS.  I downloaded the installer and tried to install anyway but aborted when I sensed that I was downloading the windows version, as it would not install in my 'applications' folder.

This is the link to where I was operating from.  Is the correct one?  If so, what am I doing wrong?   Thanks.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=premiere_elements&loc=us

• 5. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rgleason47

You have the correct link for the Premiere Elements 12 tryout download, Windows or Mac.

Before you start the process, make sure that you have anti-virus and firewalls turned off.

The Adobe Application Manager needs to be downloaded and installed in this process first, and the Adobe Application

Manager can and does run into antivirus and especially firewall issues. Just follow the on screen instructions.

1. Let download and install of Adobe Application Manager (an .exe file) happen.

and then

2. Let download of the main file (.7z) with the program proceed.

For best results, have a check mark next to any automatic process option given.

That is the way it is with Premiere Elements 12 tryout for Windows. There is no pre-designation for Windows or Mac that

I recall. The process should recognize Windows or Mac and proceed accordingly if it detects that it is downloading to a Mac computer.

I am strictly an Elements Windows user so let us see if we can find some common ground on Windows Mac in this instance.

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

See if any of the information in the following helps.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/getting-started/install-pre.html

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                    rgleason47 Level 1

ATR

(As an aside, I have parallels and windows 7 on my mac, but it should make no difference).

I've followed the steps outlined above (several times).  When the installer starts to install the software, it tries to do so on the windows side, even tho I have windows (and parallels) shut down.  That is when I abort the operation.  I am slowly coming to the realization that maybe Adobe does not a trial version for the Mac.  Is that possible?

I read the instructions for the link you gave me, but as it describes installing from a DVD, it was not applicable to what I am trying to do.

Given the current situation, unless there is a another option, I have down all I can short of running the trial in windows, which I prefer not to do.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

rgleason47

Interesting development, parallels and windows 7 on your Mac. I suspect that issue goes to your particular setup and what Adobe is recognizing in spite of your turn off of the Windows side of things. I do not believe it is because Adobe does not have a Premiere Elements 12 Mac tryout. But, let us try to try to prove or disprove the point this way.

Go to the following web site and download and install the Premiere Elements 12 Mac tryout from there. In the process you specifically select tryout files for Mac after you have gone through the "Note: Very Important Instructions" ritual on the web page. You need to read and carry out those instructions, otherwise you end up with an Access Denied message.

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-12-direct-download-links-premiere.html

If it is your computer configuration that is confusing Adobe, then we should have our answer. If that were the case, might not you then get a "wrong operating system" when you select the Mac files from that web site? Let us see.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                        rgleason47 Level 1

Finally got the download.  Will have to install later.  funny that it was so difficult, I have Photoshop elements/organizer12 and had no issues at all with downloading.

Thanks for your help.

• 9. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

rgleason47

Thanks for the follow up great news. Great job.

Later on, when you get a chance, please update us your progress.

Reminders:

Update from 12 to 12.1 with the project's Help Menu/Update

Have latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements

Be working from a User Account with Administrative Privileges

etc.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                            rgleason47 Level 1

ATR

Finally got back to the project.  Installed and updated 12.  Messed around with it some, specifically working with the clip to see how much improvement I can get in the lighting (not much), and seeing how easy the software is to work with (pretty easy, figured some things out without using the help).

Is there a PDF version of the manual available?  I'm one of this dinosaurs that like to read the manual as I am doing things, rather than searching 'help'.

Thanks for your assistance.

• 11. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

rgleason47

Thanks for update with what sounds like very good news.

The link for the Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF is

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

The link for the Elements Organizer 12 Help PDF is

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

Both can be printed or stored to your computer. For printing consider, the Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF has 319 pages and the Elements Organizer Help PDF has 238 pages.

If you have the time, you might want to check out my blog posts on

Premiere Elements 12 First Look

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 12 First Look Details

and

Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: Premiere Elements 12 Daily Discoveries

Best wishes

ATR

• 12. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                                rgleason47 Level 1

ATR

Update with a question.  First of all, thanks for the links to your blogs.  I've read them several times and will probably do so in the future.

Update:  I have videos converted from 8mm film that contain related subject matter or events in non-contiguous clips, sometimes over multiple DVDs.  I stated by separating the segments and saving them as project files (had no other save option).  I would end up with maybe 7 project clips out of one long movie.  This process was easy and was accomplished quickly.  The problem I ran into was when I tried to combine like projects (clips) into one clip.I could only open one project at a time.

Question(s): Is this feature of the trial version of the software?  If not, how can I combine separate projects into one?  Do I have to 'share' the file onto a DVD folder on my computer then import it into Adobe again? This is the type of work I will be doing over and over again, such as cutting and combining birthdays from separate clips into one.

Thanks

• 13. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rgleason47

Please remind me what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 12 is installed on...

a. Windows, based on Parallels Windows 7 64 bit on Mac

or

b. Mac

If you are running Premiere Elements Windows, then you have two choices for transferring content of one project to another project

a. Copy/Paste Insert with ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements (ClipMate is Windows Only).

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

or

b. Export the Timeline content selectively in a format compatible with the project settings of the second project into which this export

will be imported.

If Premiere Elements Mac, then you need to look into "b".

This is the same situation with tryout and purchased Premiere Elements product.

You may want to review blog post dealing with the gathering, assembling, and managing of a large number of large video

files and Premiere Elements

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

Please let us know if you are OK with the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                                    rgleason47 Level 1

Thanks, I will look into 'b', as I am running the mac version.

Will keep you posted.

• 15. Re: Premier elements 12 editing
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

rgleason47

Thanks.

If you need an assist on the project settings for the export from one project and import of the export into a second project, please let me know.

If you do, please include the project settings of first project.

ATR