10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 1:02 AM by studiodh33

Hard disks as subfolders

studiodh33

Hi,

I am having a strange thing in my folders Library... I used to have the my Hard Disks and subfolders. Suddenly, I don't know how, I am having only the main HD and a subfolder named "volumes" with my other 3 HD as sufolders of this "volume" folder.

How to come back to the usual organization with all HD as main volumes !

Best,

David

• 1. Re: Hard disks as subfolders
          studiodh33 Level 1

Hi, I did a print screen to understand easily my problem... My three HDs are in "volumes" subfolder in the macintosh HD.... How to come back to the original view with all HDs as independant from the system HD ?

Best,

David

Capture d’écran 2014-07-16 à 09.15.01.png

• 2. Re: Hard disks as subfolders
            alanterra Level 1

Hi David. That is very strange. The Mac keeps all of its disks in a folder called "/Volumes", but programs like Lightroom and the Finder are supposed to hide that unixism from the user.

I'll be honest, I have no idea. You could try renaming the disks "Photo 1", "Photo 2" etc so that Lightroom can't find them, and then try reconnecting them (right click on the item in this panel). But that is only a guess.

A

• 3. Re: Hard disks as subfolders
              studiodh33 Level 1

Thanks Alanterra, is there anyone having an other solution less drastic ?!

Best

• 4. Re: Hard disks as subfolders
                studiodh33 Level 1

Hi,

Anyone having another suggestion or solution for this strange Library problem !?!?

Best,

David

• 5. Re: Hard disks as subfolders
                  bhousto90 Level 3

At the top right corner of the "Folders" panel there is a + sign that when clicked will give you a drop down menu with options for Root Folder display.

Choose "Folder name only", "Path from Volume" or "Folder and Path" which ever you prefer.

Capture1.PNG

Use that in combination with the right click option on each of your highest level directory/folder names and then either choose hide or show the parent as needed.

Capture2.PNG

Bruce

• 6. Re: Hard disks as subfolders
                    alanterra Level 1

Hi Bruce. I forgot that you could do that, so thanks. But looking at my version of Lightroom, I don't see any options to show volumes as folders or vice versa (which, while it might not make sense, would be consistent with a Unix-based operating system like MacOS), but only to show/hide different parts of the folder tree within volumes. I really think that David's Lightroom implementation is confused in a way that is not obvious to me.

• 7. Re: Hard disks as subfolders
                      studiodh33 Level 1

Hi Bruce,

I know this function and it doesn't work. The strange thing is that it was all normal since years ( I have LR since the beginning) and suddenly I don't know how and why it modifies my hard disks tree and creates that "volumes" inside the OS disk.

So something happened but if I have to erase everything and import again it will take hours (there is 124000 images)... If you have another idea ?

Best,

David

• 8. Re: Hard disks as subfolders
                        dj_paige Level 9

While I don't have a solution for you, I do feel it is wise to point out that re-importing will cause you to lose collections, flags, virtual copies, stacks and a few other things — and unless you have saved the metadata to XMP, you will also lose all of your edits and keywords and captions and similar metadata.

• 9. Re: Hard disks as subfolders
                          studiodh33 Level 1

Hi dj_paige,

Yes I know, I always use catalogs with xmp activated. But sincerly it would be the worst thing for me to do...Any suggestion ?

Best,

David

• 10. Re: Hard disks as subfolders
                            studiodh33 Level 1

Hi,

So finally this morning I tryed to import one of my Had Disks again and suddenly the 3 HDD appeared ! Very strange... But solved !