5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 10:51 AM by ljuboj11496101

Cannot place a signature on a PDF document

bryan mccaffrey

I just encountered an issue with a specific PDF issued to me by a vendor. I am normally able to "place signature" on any PDF document. This one however, only allows me to place a certificate-based digital signature. How can I go about simply placing my signature on the document?

I also do not have my serial number as I purchased the software as an option through Lenovo. They don't have my serial numbers and neither does Adobe evidently. Not the greatest customer service experience I've had.

• 1. Re: Cannot place a signature on a PDF document
          IsakTen Level 4

Your specific PDF may contain hidden signatures. For instance it may be Reader-enabled which includes a signature. It seems that the rights enabled by the PDF's author do not include application of stamp signatures. When you open this PDF in Reader 11, if the PDF is Reader-enabled there is a button on the top of the left pane which when you click it tells you which rights this PDF has. You need to contact this PDF's author (your vendor) to get this resolved.

I do not understand what the serial number has to do with it.

• 2. Re: Cannot place a signature on a PDF document
            ljuboj11496101

Have exactly the same problem! After last update I am unable to Sign documents other than with digital ID. A bug for which seems nobody care at adobe, but they do care for taking your money quickly....

• 3. Re: Cannot place a signature on a PDF document
              kathys37243486 Level 1

I am having the exact same problem.  Previously I was able to add my hand written signature to documents. Since the last update I can only sign with a digital certificate.

• 4. Re: Cannot place a signature on a PDF document
                IsakTen Level 4

When you select "Fill&Sign" pane do you see "Fill & Sign" tab in the right-hand panel? You may need to expand it (click on it) to make "Place Signature" visible. Reader remembers the last action you performed and expands the remembered tab. If the last action you did was to sign with a certificate, the "Work with Certificates" tab is expended the next time you launch Reader. The other two tabs are closed and you need to expand the one you want to use.

• 5. Re: Cannot place a signature on a PDF document
                  ljuboj11496101 Level 1

you must be kidding right?! 

Ok this is what I did with my Reader X pro, run update once again (new update is now available), Still can't sign other than digital ID crap offered by Adobe so I tried (Content--->Edit object---->right click on document and select "add a picture") This method also didn't work before but it does now after last update! So, I opened Fireworks and Created transparent PNG Signature, saved it and imported it trough method above.