1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 2:01 PM by Mary Posner

Why wont' Indesign CS6 manifest spacing changes to some paragraph styles placed from MS Word file

hcsnell

I have placed a large amount of text from an MS Word 2010 that contains multiple paragraph styles.  A couple of the styles transferred spacing that is different than what they were in Word, although the settings transferred are the same in Indesign CS6 as they were in Word.  When I change them to try to adjust, I can get the "space before" setting to cause a shift but not the "space after" setting.  In the original placement of text in CS6 these styles have ended up sitting higher from the body text below and I can't get them to adjust closer to the body text below as they are in the original Word version.  Any ideas? 

• 1. Re: Why wont' Indesign CS6 manifest spacing changes to some paragraph styles placed from MS Word file
          Mary Posner Level 3

Just from the limited testing I did, it looks as if the way each program handles space before and after paragraphs is different, so you won't be able to use the same settings and have them behave in the same way.

If I set up two paragraphs in Word to have p6 both before and after each paragraph, Word will collapse the "overlapping" space between the paragraphs to p6. The same settings in InDesign will create a space between the paragraphs that's a total of the before and after settings, 1p. You'll have to adjust spacing in your InDesign styles to get the effect you want.