9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2014 12:13 AM by ristoanttila

Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom

ristoanttila

Hi,

I'm about to purchase Lightroom and I am currently using the evaluation installation of LR 5.5.

I'm a little bit frustrated about the export feature: when I export (raw to jpg) the pictures, all the editing is lost. Everything is fine in the LR but once I look the figures in Windows Explorer, the figures appear to be the originals converted to jpgs.

I currently have the 5.5.. I had the same problem with LR 5.4. just 2 weeks ago and I found out that when I changed the size to limited to 100k and back to 100% quality, the problem was solved. While this was just probably a quick fix to the bug in the SW, in the current version this does not work.

There are only 3 things I can think:

1. this is a bug. But this would be such a major bug that this should have been fixed by now.

2. The test/evaluation version in purpose abandons all the changes.

3. The performance of my PC (with windows 7 ) is too low. This I find a little bit unlikely since it worked with the 5.4. with the twist mentioned..

and probably and hopefully

4, I'm missing something:; What ??

Br ,

Risto Anttila

• 1. Re: Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

In the Export dialog box, you need to set File Format to JPG and not Original

• 2. Re: Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom
            ristoanttila Level 1

I have the dialog box set as JPG, The result is a JPG not a nef (as in Nikon RAW). The windows 7 explorer does not know how to display the raw files.This is what happened when I tried the "original".

Is there a need to confirm all the changes? or are all the changes valid unless removed with "ctrl-z"?

With 5.4 I seemed to have the same problem and it was solved when I changed the size to limited and back. Now this doesn not help (and I think even if it worked it would be a wrong way to do it).

-Risto

• 3. Re: Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom
              dj_paige Level 9

Are you sure you are looking at the JPG file in the exact directory specified in the Export dialog box?

Can we see a screen capture of your Export dialog box?

• 4. Re: Re: Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom
                ristoanttila Level 1

This is directory I am looking at:

C:\Users\Anttila\Pictures\Nikon Transfer 2\036\Untitled Export

And the dialog box is below and under is the generated JPG. The dog is black in JPG and all the things I did for bringing it up were lost (well not lost but not used when creating the JPG).

lr_view.pngwin_explorere_view.png

The images are huge, I know: sorry for that.

Br,

Risto

• 5. Re: Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom
                  dj_paige Level 9

What software are you using to display the photo outside of Lightroom?

• 6. Re: Re: Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom
                    ristoanttila Level 1

Just the normal SW that opens in the windows explorer once I hit the file.

The title is in Finnish but it should be the normal Win 7 Explorer stuff.

I've also put my pictures to the Facebook with similar results i.e. original RAW to JPG. This was with 5.4.. One CD that I made for my friends was delivered with unchanged pictures although I spent several hours fixing the pictures. Now I know I have to check them before posting them.

I saw a thread about this  (for 5.4.) and the resolution there was to switch to limited size and back to full 100% size. And with the LR 5.4 trial version it worked.

Now the result is he one as seen in the previous reply. Almost if this workaround was just blocked.

The work flow seems so simple: do the changes and then export. Is there nothing else to it? Saving, confirming etc anything?

The problem is so obvious and sort of simple that I'm puzzled why I could not find the solution in WWW. For the 5.4. there was the above mentioned workaround but that is just that: a workaround not a fix.

Just to make sure?

The evaluation version should be the same as the purchased one? If not this not a very good way to promote SW...

My SLR is Nikon 7100. The raw format of this model clearly seems to be supported as LR is able to read and handle the picture as one would imagine.

-Risto

• 7. Re: Re: Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom
                      dj_paige Level 9

Has your monitor been calibrated recently?

• 8. Re: Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The difference between the screenshot in LR and the screenshot of Windows Photo Viewer, is that the WPV one is more saturated and/or has much higher contrast.   This doesn’t prove anything other than WPV isn’t showing the same thing as LR for an image, which can be for several reasons, one being a bad monitor profile configured for your display in Windows, which is why the question about whether your monitor is calibrated is relevant.

To better demonstrate the LR changes aren’t being done, turn the images to B/W in LR (either with the B&W mode or saturation to -100%) and export that and look at it in WPV.  If it is still color then something is wrong with LR or your procedure for viewing.  If it is B/W but has a different contrast in WPV, then something is likely wrong with your monitor profile or monitor calibration.

It would also be helpful to show the extension (JPG vs CR2 vs NEF) of the photo you’re viewing in WPV, which is an option in Explorer whether to show extensions or not.

My guess as to what is happening is that your monitor profile is not quite right and LR and WPV are interpreting the image differently relative to that profile.  Either that or you are showing us the camera-embedded JPG preview in the original raw in WPV, not the exported JPG, which is why showing the extension would be a good idea.

A different way to compare your adjusted raw file and the exported JPG would be to import the exported JPG and show them side-by-side in Library X|Y mode, and cycle the view with the I key until the filename is visible.  That way LR is interpreting both of them, rather than WPV showing the JPG, which could have some issue.

To answer your other question about trial vs licensed, the program is the same and operates the same.  The licensing just extends the use of it beyond the 30 days.

• 9. Re: Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom
                          ristoanttila Level 1

Hi and thanks!

It seems that the monitor calibration is the answer. I quickly tried that

and it seems to improve the image in windows picture viewer. (it is

probably still not optimal but I can calibrate it again with better time.)

Now it seems an obvious solution, but I could not hunt down the problem

myself. I did not realize the fact that the different programs handle the

color/contrast/saturation/brightness etc. things differently. This is good

to know and it was a new thing to me.

Anyway I'm impressed about the support that you were willing and able to

give to me.

I'll be buying the license once the trial period expires.

Br,

Risto Anttila

2014-07-16 17:07 GMT+03:00 ssprengel <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Exporting images lose the changes I made in Lightroom

created by ssprengel <https://forums.adobe.com/people/ssprengel> in *Photoshop

Lightroom* - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/6555130#6555130>