I am having the same problem connecting to the same type of sql server. I thought it was because the connection string had to be more detailed.
I figured my problem out today, hope it helps with yours.
See this link.
I installed an old JRE (6 update 27) and it fixed the problem.
We are catching the patches up on our server tonight.
Interesting fix. I wonder if the more recent java 7 does not have SQL trusted ssl certificate information in it's keystore?
It would be interesting to use current java 7 with the keystore file jre\lib\security\cacerts from jre 6u27.
Just pondering, Carl.
Just to be clear, we'll go back to java 7 after we get our server patched according to the info in the article.
Server was patched overnight, I removed the old version of Java this morning. Everything looks good.
As far as simply making ssl the connection, I found a nice and very helpful step through checklist at Re: SSL Encryption for Data Sources: which I'm describing here:
- The SQL database admin sent me a certificate with a public key to which I had to use RegEdit to keep outlook from blocking it, and I uploaded it to the web server into the root C:\ drive;
- I created a simple keystore on the web server's root C: drive: at the dos command prompt: C:\>keytool -keystore sqlstore.jks -genkey -alias sqlstore ....then answered a series of security questions;
- Imported the uploaded public key into this keystore: C:\>keytool -importcert -file NameOfPublicKeyCertificate.crt/.cer -keystore sqlstore.jks -storepass Password -alias sqlserver
- After verifying the ip address & port number on the remote server would receive the connection either via a studio express connection from my end or an odbc connection, I entered these parameters into the coldfusion admin datasource advanced settings: EncryptionMethod=SSL; trustStore=C:/sqlstore.jks; trustStorePassword=Password; ValidateServerCertificate=false;
I had a very difficult time finding this information so I hope this can be helpful.