9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2014 4:58 PM by MadManChan2000

ACR 8.5 and Nikon NEF: in Photoshop and Lightroom

big_ys Level 1

Today I was on Nikon presentation. A manager from Russian office sad that Nikon gave Adobe some information how to open NEF files CORRECTLY in ACR, but that algorithms can be used ONLY in Photoshop, not in Lightroom. Is that true or fake? As I know, ACR for Ps and Lr is the same in case color reproduction (and has some differences in image correction).

• 1. Re: ACR 8.5 and Nikon NEF: in Photoshop and Lightroom
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That information would not be right. To be clear, Photoshop by itself cannot open raw images. Photoshop cannot deal with raw image data. That is why Lightroom and Camera Raw are needed because they are raw converters that convert the image so that Photoshop can use it. Once the image has been opened in Photoshop you are no longer dealing with raw image data. The current version to place during the transfer to Photoshop.

• 2. Re: ACR 8.5 and Nikon NEF: in Photoshop and Lightroom
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is possible that there is some sort of Nikon plug-in for some Photoshop that would replace ACR when opening NEF files and then PS would see what CapureNX2 did, but otherwise, no, and LR, never, because the plug-in wouldn’t work with LR, only PS.

• 3. Re: ACR 8.5 and Nikon NEF: in Photoshop and Lightroom
              big_ys Level 1

I agree, ACR need to recalculate data from RAW code into RGB color space.

But I'm interesting in other question - is it possible that ACR in Ps working with not the same mathematics compare with Lr in case decoding RAW data from NEF files?

• 4. Re: ACR 8.5 and Nikon NEF: in Photoshop and Lightroom

If you are talking about the same version of Lightroom and Camera Raw (i.e. Camera Raw 8.5 and Lightroom 5.5) then the math should be the same. However, if you are comparing Lightroom 5.5 with an older version of Camera Raw then the math could be different. I don't know if that's what you are referring to.

• 5. Re: ACR 8.5 and Nikon NEF: in Photoshop and Lightroom
                  big_ys Level 1

SHOULD be the same and THE SAME :-) Of course, version 8.5 in Ps and Lr 5.5 from CC.

Nikon's people told that ONLY one program for his RAW (NEF) is Capture, other is compromise...

• 6. Re: ACR 8.5 and Nikon NEF: in Photoshop and Lightroom

That would be a matter of opinion, I suppose. I have two Nikon cameras, older models, D90 & D40, and I'm perfectly happy using Lightroom 5.5. Nikon would, of course suggest that software other than Capture would be a compromise. They would want to promote their own product. Capture has undergone some major changes lately that took away some of its finer technology (in my opinion). You will have to try both products and compare for yourself if you are really concerned.

I'm curious to know the basis for your question about whether the math is the same. Are you having a specific problem?

• 7. Re: ACR 8.5 and Nikon NEF: in Photoshop and Lightroom
                      big_ys Level 1

No, I have no problem, but I'm journalist and I try verify all information which I'm publish.

• 8. Re: ACR 8.5 and Nikon NEF: in Photoshop and Lightroom
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To compare PS/ACR with LR, if you have both products, you can do an Export a TIF from LR and do a Save Image TIF from ACR, using the same parameters, and then open both in PS and layer one on top of the other, set the blend mode to Difference, merge the layers, and see if you have anything besides 0s for the pixel values of the combined layers.   You could stretch the image in Levels to make finding any non-zero pixels, easier.

It has been said, above, that LR 5.x versions had a bug where they did not apply noise-reduction or sharpening in some situations during the Export so its important to understand what precise versions of the products you're talking about.  Intending for the raw-conversion algorithms to be the same, and a coding error making them not so are two different things.  In other words the mathematics would be the same, but the implementation in a different programming language by different people could have coding errors. 

As far as which of Nikon Capture or Adobe Lightroom/PS-ACR is better, the words someone says or writes are a fact if you have the recording or original documents, but the idea they are communicating is an opinion and you can really only list pros and cons for someone else to draw their own conclusion, and unless you're quoting word-for-word, your interpretation of what is being said is also somewhat of an opinion, yours.

• 9. Re: ACR 8.5 and Nikon NEF: in Photoshop and Lightroom
                          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Raw conversion algorithms for NEF files (and all raw formats from cameras) in ACR and Lr match exactly, as long as you are comparing matching versions of ACR and Lr.  For example, the most recent final release version of Camera Raw is 8.5, and the matching version of Lightroom is 5.5.