2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2014 1:02 PM by trshaner

How to delete from disc space previously deleted rejected photos

Badgette

My Mac was indicating that I was running out of disc space, so I began cleaning and removing unwanted photos. Shocked that very little disc space became available after a significant number of rejected photos were deleted, I realized that they were only being removed from the catalogue and not the disc space.

So how to do clean up my disc space by removing previously deleted rejected photos in Lightroom 5? I am running Leopard if that has any impact. Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to delete from disc space previously deleted rejected photos
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm on Windows, but I assume that the procedure is the same on the Mac. When you choose to delete photos in Lightroom you are given the choice to remove or to delete from disk. If you simply chose to remove them, they were taken from the catalog, Lightroom is no longer aware of them, but they are still in their folders on your computer. It will now be your task to use Finder and locate all the ones you have deleted and use your system tools to delete them from your computer. The other alternative would be to import again, making sure that you have chosen to not import selected duplicates. That would reimport all of the images that you rejected, and they would be together in the library under "Previous Import". Then you could highlight all of those images and choose the option to delete from the disk.

• 2. Re: How to delete from disc space previously deleted rejected photos
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Empty the Trash or Recycle bin to free up the disk space, but make very sure you want them permanently removed!