3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 2:14 AM by areohbee

XMP Custom File Info panels vs. Custom Metadata

alanterra Level 1

Sorry if this question is a little confused, but I don't exactly know what I am talking about yet.

I use Rob Cole's custom metadata plug-in, which is great as far as it goes. As I understand it, it is a way to create custom data fields in the Lightroom database, give them labels, and manipulate and sort images according to those values. It is very useful for what it is. However, where it shows its seams is when you want to edit an image outside of Lightroom and then import the image back into Lightroom (for instance exporting the image, or editing it in Photoshop). In that case there is no way to get the data in the original into the derived copy except by doing it by hand, which can be very labor intensive if you, say, export a few hundred or a few thousand images. And, of course, you can only see the custom metadata in Lightroom, since it doesn't live in the file.

If I understand it correctly, "Custom File Info panels" for xmp data should just solve this problem. You would define your data, and it would be understood by "standard Adobe applications". A brief search of the web does not indicate that Lightroom is one of these "standard Adobe applications", so I assume that while I can use these panels in Bridge and in Photoshop, the data would not be available to me in Lightroom?

Any insight?

Thanks

Alan

robcole

• 1. Re: XMP Custom File Info panels vs. Custom Metadata
          areohbee Level 5

alanterra wrote:

there is no way to get the data in the original into the derived copy except by doing it by hand

Better ways:

1-1 or 1-many:

custom_metadata_file-menu_sync.gif

(on the file menu: plugin extras) which brings up:

custom_metadata_sync_prompt.gif

If you want to do "many to many-others-like-them", you have to use a different plugin, like Relative Antics..

alanterra wrote:

If I understand it correctly, "Custom File Info panels" for xmp data should just solve this problem.

Many of us are hoping Adobe enhances Lr to provide better support for custom metadata - as you've noticed, Lightroom is not one of those "Standard Adobe Applications" referred to in the above link.

Rob

• 2. Re: XMP Custom File Info panels vs. Custom Metadata
            alanterra Level 1

So, you are saying "Please read the manual"? Understood, and I will but i'm not sure that either of your methods are better than the Adobe Sync Metadata menu item (which is what I meant by "doing it by hand").

What I do currently is isolate all the images that should have the same value for your custom metadata fields, select 1, then select all (leaving the first "most selected") then hit Sync Metadata, and I already have the correct fields checked from the last time I did it. This is easy in my current workflow as I already have all the images that should have  the same value in the Quick Collection.

FWIW, I tried to automate this process using a keyboard macro program (Keyboard Maestro), but Lightroom is somehow written that if the keystrokes/mouseclicks come too fast, then it does something different than intended (like sync from the not-most-selected to the most-selected), and slowing down the macro to make it reliable means that I can type faster than the macro.

I will look into Relative Antics.

Should one file a bug report that Lightroom is not a Standard Adobe Application?

Cheers

• 3. Re: XMP Custom File Info panels vs. Custom Metadata
              areohbee Level 5

alanterra wrote:

What I do currently is isolate all the images that should have the same value for your custom metadata fields, select 1, then select all (leaving the first "most selected") then hit Sync Metadata

I thought you meant: typing them in by hand.

So the problem is that it's not done automatically when you're round tripping to an external editor.. - got it.

Relative Antics does have an automated/background mode which could detect when a sync is in order and just do it.., but "some assembly required".

PS - I don't think the omission in Lr constitutes a bug, but there is a feature request for it (or two) in the feedback site, you may be able to find if you look:

Recently active topics in Photoshop Family about Photoshop Lightroom

Ciao for now,

Rob