16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 1:05 PM by dborato

Printing with LR 4

dborato Level 1

How can I get the on screen image to look the same on my Epson Stylist 1280?  Comes out faded looking. Ink is full and OEM

• 1. Re: Printing with LR 4
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this something that just started happening, or is printing something new you are doing?

Is your monitor calibrated? Do you know what that means?

These are very basic questions, but ones that need to be asked because you haven't given us very much information to go by. It takes time to get your monitor and printer to match. If you can give us more information about your system and what you have done, perhaps we can provide some real assistance.

• 2. Re: Printing with LR 4
            dborato Level 1

Yes my computer monitor has been calibrated.

Windows 7

Red River ICC Profiles

How long does it take the monitor and printer to match?  I didnt know that.

• 3. Re: Printing with LR 4

How long? That depends on how long it takes you to make them match. They aren't going to do it automatically. What did you use to calibrate your monitor? To be honest, I have not really "calibrated" my monitor using a hardware calibration device. But I have taken the time to adjust the monitor so that it matches the printer output, and I get prints that match very well.

It could be that you don't have a good monitor profile. I would suggest that you change to a sRGB monitor profile, and do a test print and see where you are on matching. Adjust the monitor to match the print, and then if the image on screen doesn't look right and adjust the image to your satisfaction. Then print again.

Incidentally, I use Red River profiles with my Canon Pixma Pro-100, and I get excellent results.

• 4. Re: Printing with LR 4
                dborato Level 1

Actually, its the Huey Pantone.  I will try what you suggest.  However, in the midst of what your saying, Im not sure what you mean by change to sRGB monitor profile.  Do you mean within the editing program when printing or within Windows monitor display?

• 5. Re: Printing with LR 4

In your Windows monitor display controls.

• 6. Re: Printing with LR 4
                    dborato Level 1

Whew, took me a while but found it.  sRGB is default setting

• 7. Re: Printing with LR 4

Okay. If you don't have a calibration device, just make a small print of one of your images and compare it to the monitor. Using the Windows controls, adjust the monitor to match the print as closely as possible. Then run another print.

• 8. Re: Printing with LR 4
                        dborato Level 1

Thank you so much.  On my agenda for tomorrow.  Thank you again.

• 9. Re: Printing with LR 4
                          dborato Level 1

Well Im at it.  However, after printing small image, you say compare to windows monitor, and use controls there. If so, not quite sure what controls you are referring to.

Thought maybe I would print out the large white to black scale while calibrating, if I can, and compare it to the screen.   Wish I had someone here to help.  Thank you, youve been so kind.

• 10. Re: Printing with LR 4

I have to apologize because I didn't give you very good instructions. And I don't know if what I write here will be much more help. The first thing I would recommend that you do is go to the control panel and click on Display. In the dialogue that comes up next there is an option to calibrate:

Capture.JPG

Click on that option and follow the procedure. It will help you control your color, brightness and contrast. If you do your best to adjust according to the instructions then your color and brightness you should be very close. It was for me. The next screenshot is for an Intel adjustment panel that is part of my computer. You may not have the same control, but you should have something similar that you related to your graphics card. I think I have this control because I'm just using integrated graphics. I don't have a special graphics card. But here is the screenshot:

Capture2.JPG

I found it necessary to make some slight adjustments using this screen after I had calibrated the color with the Windows controls. After I worked through these two sets of controls I found that my color matches very closely when I print. I don't know if any of this will help you. But it's what I did and I'm satisfied with the results.

Just one final note. When I was adjusting using the second control from Intel, I also had one of my images opened that I had printed. And I made the adjustments using the Intel screen as I compared the print and the screen image.

Now for those who use hardware calibration devices, I know. This isn't the right way to do it. I don't want to start an argument about that. I'm just saying that this is the poor man's way of matching things up. And I don't have the money to invest in a hardware calibration device.

• 11. Re: Printing with LR 4
                              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

dborato wrote:

How can I get the on screen image to look the same on my Epson Stylist 1280? 

Why Are My Prints Too Dark

• 12. Re: Printing with LR 4
                                dborato Level 1

I didnt know I had this available. Found it.  I think you answered my question, that how do you calibrate without seeing the photo on screen.  Do you pull the photo up in Windows Photo Gallery or has printed in LR?  I dont mind Poor man's way.

• 13. Re: Printing with LR 4
                                  thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You want to do this correctly and consistently? You have to use an instrument.

http://tinyurl.com/kdgutmz

• 14. Re: Printing with LR 4
                                    dborato Level 1

Actually, you explained very well.  Last thing is, was your image on screen through LR4 when adjusting the intel graphic controls or was the image pulled up through windows picture file.

• 15. Re: Printing with LR 4

Since I mostly print from Lightroom, I had the image opened in Lightroom while I was making the final adjustments in the Intel dialogue.

• 16. Re: Printing with LR 4
                                        dborato Level 1

Hope I get this right.  Thank you again so much