5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 7:09 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I save a thumbnail from a video in Adobe Premiere Elements?

nessa2shoes

I can't find a way to do this, and would appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: How do I save a thumbnail from a video in Adobe Premiere Elements?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

nessa2shoes

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

It is not clear to me what you are seeking. Could you give more detail?

When you import media into a Premiere Elements project, you place copies of the originals into the project. The originals are still on the computer hard drive save location. Those copies always have to trace back to the originals on the hard drive location where they were when copies of them were made in the Premiere Elements import process.

What you have in the project gets out of the project only via export either export to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc. Is your Timeline content still on the Timeline waiting to be exported?

The project is defined by its embedded imported media in the project file (project.prel). When you save close a project file (project.prel), the thumbnail for the project.prel file at its hard drive save location typically looks like

ProjectPrel.JPG

Are you trying to put a picture on a project.prel file's thumbnail?

We will be watching for further details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I save a thumbnail from a video in Adobe Premiere Elements?
            nessa2shoes Level 1

Thank you so much for your response, AT. I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8. Sorry I wasn't too clear with my request.

I have a project which I created in Adobe Premiere Elements 11 and I then uploaded it to Youtube. However, I'm not happy with the thumbnail Youtube selected for me to represent the video with. I'd like to be able to capture a single thumbnail image (ie. jpeg, etc) of my choosing from the project I created. I tried selecting a single frame in the project and right clicking on it, but there is no option for me to "save as".

Is there a way I can open a .prel project, and select a single frame from that project, which can then be saved as a separate graphic image?

• 3. Re: How do I save a thumbnail from a video in Adobe Premiere Elements?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ness2shoes

Thanks for the reply and very helpful details. This sounds like a can do request.

I will generalize for the moment. What you are going to do is place your Timeline Indicator at the frame that you want to save as a frame.

Then do to Publish+Share/Computer/Image and set Presets for the appropriate preset.

Last year I wrote a blog post on Premiere Elements 11 Freeze Frames, one at a time or more than one at a time.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Freeze Frames, Single or More Than One at a Time

Lots of how to details in it. But, if you need clarification on anything that I write, please do not hesitate to ask.

If you have not been there before, probably the hardest part of all this is finding Image in the Publish+Share area.

You will find it

Publish+Share

Computer

Now here is the part that gets most...when you open to Computer, you see Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, and AVCHD. Most think that is all there is.

But you need to scroll down to see the rest which includes Image toward the bottom of the list. There is a thin scroll bar to the right of the list. Most miss seeing the scroll bar.

Please review the above and then we can decide what next if necessary.

Looking forward to your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I save a thumbnail from a video in Adobe Premiere Elements?
                nessa2shoes Level 1

AT, you're a genius! Thank you! Who would have thought there were more options to scroll through????

This has totally answered my question.

Thank you again!

• 5. Re: How do I save a thumbnail from a video in Adobe Premiere Elements?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

nessa2shoes

Thanks for the follow up with the wonderful news that the information was what you needed.

Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR