6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2016 3:13 AM by AJAY_AKB

Starting InDesign server from a remote location

alam_84 Level 1

Hi All,

I have a java application program running on a remote machine say M1.

I have InDesign Server CS6 installed on another machine say M2.

Now my question is as follows.

Is it possible to start InDesign Server which will serve SOAP request from a java application program(running on M1).

Regards,

Alam

• 1. Re: Starting InDesign server from a remote location
          Dirk Becker Level 4

Yes, it is possible. Handling requests is exactly the purpose of the SOAP interface.

If your key issue is the word "start", refer to the specifics of your operating system for services.

On the Mac, InDesign Server comes with an example launchd configuration, it might require some tweaks in arguments, stdout/stderr file redirection and so forth.

launchd(8) Mac OS X Manual Page

launchd.plist(5) Mac OS X Manual Page

• 2. Re: Starting InDesign server from a remote location
            alam_84 Level 1

Hi Dirk,

I am not getting you, please elaborate more.

I want to start InDesign server from a remote location, Let me know how I could do this.

Suppose InDesign server is inastalled on a machine M1 and I my application programs running on another machine say M2.

Thanks,

Alam

• 3. Re: Starting InDesign server from a remote location
              Dirk Becker Level 4

Hi Alam,

launching processes is the responsibility of the operating system, not of the application. For OSX, the responsible OS process is the "launch demon" - launchd. That launchd process will monitor the port until your initial request arrives, start the InDesign Server instance and hand over the socket connection. The socket will then be handled by the InDesign Server until it quits or crashes.

launchd is configured via launchd.plist files which must be located in the folders described at the bottom of the man page. I think InDesign Server comes with an example launchd.plist. You'd adjust it to your choice of port, output files, additional command line parameters, then copy the plist to the required location. Either reboot or tell launchd via the launchctl utility about the changes.

Windows probably has similar means to start services on demand.

Dirk

• 4. Re: Starting InDesign server from a remote location
                vivek_ranjan Adobe Employee

Hi alam_84

Yes, it is possible to run an instance of IDS form a java application on a remote machine.

In your case- IDS is running on machine M1(say it's IPv4 address is <xx.xx.xx.xx>) on port 11111(say).

To access this instance of IDS from remote machine through cmd you need to give this command :-

sampleclient -host <xx.xx.xx.xx>:11111 <scriptPath>

If you want to fire this command from a java application, you need to add an event listener to your java program :-

One workaround can be:-

1. Create a .bat file containing the above command.

2. Create a java applet having a button it in and put this code snippet in actionPerformed function:-

File batchFile = new File("C:\\Users\\xyz\\Desktop\\a.bat");

String hel=batchFile.getAbsolutePath();

ProcessBuilder processBuilder = new ProcessBuilder(hel);                

final Process process = processBuilder.start();

3. Clicking on button should start executing the script on the remote location.

Thanks

Vivek Ranjan

Adobe Indesign Team

• 5. Re: Starting InDesign server from a remote location
                  Dirk Becker Level 4

Hi Vivek,

if I get you right you describe how to invoke the separate sampleclient executable on the client machine so that it can submit a request to the InDesign Server already running on a separate machine. This should not require a .bat file, I think Java can handle that itself if you figure out how to do SOAP.

To me the keyword in the original question was "start". Therefor I described the Mac approach to configure the server machine so that an InDesign Server instance is started / launched and thus able to handle the request, even if the previous request caused a shutdown or crash of the instance. For completeness sake (this thread is 11 months old) it would be kind if you could describe the matching mechanisms for Windows.

Dirk

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Starting InDesign server from a remote location
                    AJAY_AKB

Hi Vivek Ranjan

@

In your case- IDS is running on machine M1(say it's IPv4 address is <xx.xx.xx.xx>) on port 11111(say).

Actually we want to start the Indesign server with specific port from remote. Currently we are starting the Indesign Server through command line as our Java Application is in same server where Indesign Server is. We want to deploy the Java application in Machine M1 and Indesign Server application in Machine M2. So is it possible to start the Indesign App from remote using IP and PORT.

N.B. Submitting script to remote Indesign Server from java Application is okay. We can do this. But we wnat to start the Indesign server from remote. Please it is urgent, waiting for your valuable response.

@AJAY_AKB