1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 7:44 PM by A.T. Romano

Is MP4 or AVCHD format from camera better for editing n PE12?

torbjorn68 Level 1

Hi!

I got a Canon XA25 that can record both in Avchd and mp4. Which format works best for editing in premiere elements 12?

I´m mostly interested in getting elements to work smothly and lagfree.

• 1. Re: Is MP4 or AVCHD format from camera better for editing n PE12?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

torbjorn68

Just in case note....AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) and MPEG4 are the video compression choices that I believe your Canon XA25 is offering. Do not get confused with .mp4 container which is the file extension representing a container format that wraps the video and audio compression.

I think that you would get good quality with either the "AVCHD" or the "MPEG4" video compression choice, but you would probably get excellent quality with AVCHD. The AVCHD seems to be the online preference in the comparison of AVCHD and MPEG4 video compression.  I suspect one of the differences between the two choices would be the audio format that each uses in your camera....AVCHD, probably Linear PCM or Dolby Digital and MPEG4, AAC.

I am not sure of the file extensions that come with these video audio compressions. In the case of AVCHD, probably .mts and in the case of MPEG4, probably .mp4.

On general principles, I would go with the AVCHD choice for import into Premiere Elements. But, if you have problems with Canon AX25's AVCHD.mts, then determine how the best quality alternative behaves. I am not 100% on what Canon is offering in what it is calling "mp4"....whether that is AVCHD video compression with a .mp4 file extension instead of .mts or whether it it MPEG4 video compression with a .mp4 file extension. I have been up and down the Canon AX25 User Manual  and have yet to sort that out to a 100% satisfaction.

I am not sure if the following online article will answer all the questions about the differences in the closely related video compressions

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/understanding-mpeg-2-mpeg-4-h-264-avchd-and-h-265/

But, when all is said and done about projected best quality results...for now I will stand by my

On general principles, I would go with the AVCHD choice for import into Premiere Elements. But, if you have problems with Canon AX25's AVCHD.mts, then determine how the best quality alternative behaves. I am not 100% on what Canon is offering in what it is calling "mp4"

ATR