2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 8:01 AM by WIldWest07

How to fit multi-page spanning table rows proportionally to a frame?

WIldWest07

Hi all,

I have a rather large excel file (over 2000 rows) imported, and the resulting table spans over 150 pages.

The problem is the rows don't consistently fill the height of the text frame (9.5" tall) on each page.

I don't care that the rows themselves are different sizes. I just want the bottom edges of the tables on each page to be in the same place.

Dragging the bottom row with the shift key doesn't work if the table spans multiple pages/text frames.

Is there any way to force the selected rows (or rows within one text frame) to proportionally fill their text frame?

• 1. Re: How to fit multi-page spanning table rows proportionally to a frame?
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There really aren't any auto-fit functions that apply to table-row height directly, so I suspect you aren't going to find a way to make this automatic.

If it was my document, I'd consider doing (something like ) this:

Find the tallest row in the table. (Or, maybe if there are just a few exceptionally tall rows; handle them discreetly and use the 2nd or 3rd tallest row as a reference.) Then calculate how many (max number of) rows of that size will fit in each text frame. Divide the height of the text frame by that number to get a row-height that will fit the same number of rows in each frame. Then, select the whole table and make all the rows that height. Follow up with typographical adjustments that help the uniform row height look resolute.

• 2. Re: How to fit multi-page spanning table rows proportionally to a frame?
            WIldWest07 Level 1

Ah I suspected as much, since my searching didn't yield anything close to what I was looking for.

So I think I'll have to take your suggestion, except some sections of the table have widely disparate heights due to some cells containing huge amounts of info.

My only recourse is to break the table wherever the cell heights are too dissimilar, then calculate based on your math. It's not ideal but it will be better than aligning each page by hand.

Thanks much for your help.