10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2014 7:22 AM by rob day

How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?

JoeyJoeC Level 1

I am working on a 270 page holiday brochure. I usually work with Photoshop, but I know this isn't ideal for brochures, so have been working along side another designer with InDesign. I've picked up nearly everything to get me going which is great. However, I am stuck on the best practice for the background.

The idea is that every page with a hotel will have the same background style, which is made up of a couple of circle shapes that are slightly different shades. The circles go off the edges of the page, to basically just form a curve across the page. Each different destination will have these shapes in different colours, so the client would like to be able to change the colours around once I hand the brochure over to them.

I can work with what I have now, but it is looking a bit ugly having huge circles exiting the edges of the page in "Normal" view.

Is it possible to cut off the rest of the shape which isn't inside the bleed?

• 1. Re: How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

draw a rectangle the size of the page + bleed area. Cut your circle background, and then Paste Into the rectangle. Ideally, these should be on a master page (one master page per destination.)

• 2. Re: How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?
            JoeyJoeC Level 1

Ah, suddenly makes sense. The designer I work with is very creative, but not when it comes to technical things like this. He didn't even know about master pages, or numbering pages! Stuff I learnt in a couple of hours.

Yes one master per destination... Although this is my second question... Each destination does have its own master, but the issue is that occasionally there may be a page with one hotel per page, some two per page, and other hotels will be a double spread. Is it possible to "group" the master pages, since there will effectively be three master pages per destination?

• 3. Re: How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The downside to this is that you will no longer be able to select individual shapes inside the rectangle to edit the colors. You'd have to cut, paste someplace else, edit, cut, and paste back into the rectangle.

Leaving stuff hanging over may look ugly, but anything outside the bleed area will disappear at output. Another alternative would be to use the pathfinder to trim the shapes at the bleed line.

• 4. Re: How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?
                bump_and_run Level 1

My suggestion for the long run if you are going to be working in InDesign a lot is to leave them as they are (hanging off the page) and use the "W" key to view the print view which cuts off everything outside the page border and then click "W" again to go back to the working view.  Of course you can't have text selected when you hit the "W" key.  It won't take long to get used to it.

• 5. Re: How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?
                  JoeyJoeC Level 1

Thanks. I think I'll leave it hanging off as you said. I were more worried that it looked messy and when the brochure is sent back to the client, their designers might think I done a terrible job! If it's normal, that's fine with me!

• 6. Re: How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?
                    JoeyJoeC Level 1

I decided to leave it hanging off. I tried to get the shapes in the frame, but only one at a time would work and paste in place wasn't placing them correctly. We need to change the colours a lot so best to keep them over hanging. I've been using the "Preview" screen, which I guess does the same? (or is the same..)

• 7. Re: How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Peter wrote:

The downside to this is that you will no longer be able to select individual shapes inside the rectangle to edit the colors. You'd have to cut, paste someplace else, edit, cut, and paste back into the rectangle.

@Peter – hm. When using the Layers Panel (InDesign CS5 and above) you still have quick access to the objects pasted inside.

SelectIndividualObjectInsideGroupInsideRectangle.png

If you have to add something to the shapes inside, simply drag it to the group inside the rectangle by using the Layers Panel:

BeforeDraggingCircleToGroupInsideOfRectangle.png

AfterDraggingCircleToGroupInsideOfRectangle.png

Uwe

• 8. Re: How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Thanks, Uwe, I'd forgotten about using the Layers panel this way to be able to access the individual object. Not as convenient as being able to click on one, but certainly better than my description.

@ JoeyJoeC, to paste multiple objects into a single frame they need to be grouped first.

• 9. Re: Re: How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?
                          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And: you need a group inside a rectangle to drag something new inside of the rectangle from outside using the Layers Panel (as shown in my post #7). So the advice Peter has given is a essential one.

Even if you currently need one single object inside the main rectangle, I would suggest adding a group first.

A second object could be a tiny rectangle without a fill and a stroke color. So later you can add other objects inside by using the Layers Panel and dragging objects to that group.

Removing the second object from the group when inside the rectangle will be no good idea, because the groupness will be destroyed in the same moment you remove an object in a two-object-group. You will bot be able to add another object by dragging.

Said that, by scripting we could generate a single-object group by having two objects in a group using the following script snippet code (ExtendScript/JavaScript). Just select one object or more and run the following code:

//ExtendScript (JavaScript)
                          //Remove all selected objects:
                          //DESCRIPTION:By selecting all objects in a group BUT a single one, the remaining object will stay as part of a group!

//Uwe Laubender

if(app.selection.length === 0){
                              alert("Nothing selected. Try again.");
                              exit();
                              };

for(var n=app.selection.length-1; n>=0; n--){
                              app.selection[n].remove();
                              };

alert("All selected objects removed.");

Before running the script snippet:

1-CreatingAOneObjectGroup-StartingWithTwoObjects.png

After running the script snippet:

2-CreatingAOneObjectGroup-StartingWithTwoObjects.png

As you can see the rectangle that is left remains inside a group. What we have here is a single object "group".

And you can always drag objects inside that "group".

Uwe

• 10. Re: How can I trim shapes that overlap the page?
                            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've been using the "Preview" screen, which I guess does the same?

You can also preview with the bleed showing—only the pasteboard is hidden:

ScreenSnapz001.png

If you wanted to always hide the pasteboard overflow and objects, you could make a top layer with a pasteboard mask on the master page. Here I've drawn a white frame over the entire pasteboard and document, and then a 2nd frame over the document and bleed, then used Pathfinder's subtract front object to make the top frame a cutout:

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.11.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 10.11.56 AM.png