3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 11:25 AM by Sandee Cohen

TIF or JPEG for print

elthib

When working in InDesign I’ve always placed my photos as TIF images. I read somewhere on the internet that now  it’s ok to place native photoshop (psd) files or even high resolution jpegs in your documents. I was always taught that TIFs were used for print and jpegs were used for web. Lately, If it’s something I’m working on that will be printed in-house on a color printer I’ve been placing the photoshop psd files. Still don’t feel comfortable using jpegs even if they are high rez. This article also said it was ok to place native Illustrator files instead of EPS, which I was always told to do. I’ve also seen this done in training videos I watch. Can someone clarify this information?

• 1. Re: TIF or JPEG for print
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Welcome to the 21st century.

InDesign has supported native ID and AI (with PDF compatibility) since I can remember. And there’s nothing inherently wrong with JPG, either.

And while we’re at it, don’t convert to CMYK, either. Leave them RGB.

• 2. Re: TIF or JPEG for print
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Still don’t feel comfortable using jpegs even if they are high rez.

Jpegs with enough resolution can be a problem if they have been overly compressed. So you do have to worry about jpeg quality if you don't know what level of compression was used when the jpeg was initially saved—compression artifacts are permanent, so you can't remove them by resaving at a higher quality or to a different format.

This article also said it was ok to place native Illustrator files instead of EPS, which I was always told to do

Illustrator .eps files can't contain live transparency or include embedded color profiles. If you don't need live transparency or color manged conversions downstream, .eps will output correctly, but they have no advantage over .ai or .pdf

• 3. Re: TIF or JPEG for print
              Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

See my article on Creativepro.com that covers file formats.

InDesign Magazine's Guide to Graphics File Formats | CreativePro.com