6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 10:25 PM by A.T. Romano

How to adjust local brightness and contrast in Premiere Elements 12 ?

Angus-Y

For example, in still photo, I know how to apply Photoshop to balance the brightness/contrast between a bright windows facing garden and people chatting in living room next to the bright windows. Just wondering if APE 12 is able to balance the local brightness/contrast in video editing, and how ?  or I have to go for Première Pro ?

• 1. Re: How to adjust local brightness and contrast in Premiere Elements 12 ?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It will be in  one of the video effects.

• 2. Re: How to adjust local brightness and contrast in Premiere Elements 12 ?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

angus-y

Do you currently own or have any version of Premiere Elements, and what computer operating system is involved?

Assuming your interest to be in Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit....

Export workspace/Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/and a variety of panels including Lighting.

The panels are:

Smart Fix

Auto Smart Tone

Color

Color (RGB)

Gamma Correction

Lighting

Temperature and Tint

The Lighting options are as shown in the following screenshot

Lighting.JPG

Under the fx Effects tab in the Expert workspace, you may be interested in

Advanced Adjustments category/Image Control with its options for Brightness, Contrast, Hue, and Saturation

or

Advanced Adjustments category/Shadow/Highlight

Once you apply the effect, you can edit it in Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/and expanded Panel for the effect.

If you do not have Premiere Elements 12 already, you may want to download and install the free 30 day tryout to determine if the program is compatible with your computer and meets your video editing needs.

The following Adobe document Effects Reference may be of interest. Although written with version 11 model, many of the effects are applicable to version 12 as well. Just be careful if you are a Mac user. There are several Windows Only features.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Effects reference

ATR

• 3. Re: How to adjust local brightness and contrast in Premiere Elements 12 ?
              Angus-Y Level 1

Yes, I'm using APE 12 on windows 7, after APE 8 & 11.

I know how to adjust general brightness / contrast but I would like to know if I have other options to adjust specific area (local) like what Photoshop offers in still picture editing.

I taped people enjoying coffee in a coffee shop, they were sitting next to a big windows facing sunny busy side walk.  If I set the indoor people exposure correctly, the side walk video could be washed out. If this is a picture, I can select the big window as a layer under Photoshop and adjust brightness/contrast of this selected layer to balance the lighting outside and inside the coffee shop.

However, I would like to know if I can fix this lighting problem in APE 12, or I have to go for AP Pro ?         

• 4. Re: How to adjust local brightness and contrast in Premiere Elements 12 ?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Angus-Y

From what wrote, you have Premiere Elements 12 and have explored all the Brightness and Contrast options as other related adjusts and effects mentioned. Track Matte, Effects Mask, Cropping, are some of the ways of obtaining some sort of selectivity to effect application in Premiere Elements. There are some opportunities for selectivity related to color. But, I do not see them working because of noticeable edges which are not affected in spite of Edge Feather.

Apply brightness corrections to bottom half only?

What did you have in mind when you wrote "....I have to go for AP Pro? What is AP Pro? Did you mean Photoshop CS5.1 Extended or higher which I believe has the perk of being able to do some edits of video? I have Photoshop 5.1 Extended. I could give that a look for what you want to do if you think it worthwhile.

ATR

• 5. Re: How to adjust local brightness and contrast in Premiere Elements 12 ?
                  Angus-Y Level 1

AP Pro stands for Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, sorry for the confusion.

I hope that APE 12 is able to solve my specific area fine tuning problem, without paying $800 for the Premiere Pro.  I only edited event or conference video which is easy on AP Elements.  Now I want to learn more about short commercial video footage on my own pace.  I can imagine editing challenge on still photo will apply on video if I broaden my taping topic.       

• 6. Re: How to adjust local brightness and contrast in Premiere Elements 12 ?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Angus-Y

In the light of day, I will take a look at Photoshop CS5.1 Extended to determine the extent of its video editing opportunities.

A few years back, I looked at one of the Lightroom versions. That had video editing opportunities. I do not recall the details

of its offerings. Lightroom is a far less expensive program than Premiere Pro CS6 or CC. But, both CS6 and CC are on a subscription basis.

So, you may look into the monthly subscription fee if your video editing need is not long term. Premiere Elements continues to be a one time

payment at purchase whereas the "Pro" versions have gone subscription only.

I do not use Premiere Pro, so, at this point, I wonder if that has the feature that you seek. Have you asked/confirmed in the Adobe Premiere Pro Forum if Premiere Pro CS6 or CC could do the job you want?

ATR