7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 12:28 PM by jusdejules

Photoshop will not open NEF files

jusdejules

I have a Nikon D5200 that I purchased a couple months ago. I recently decided to start shooting in raw, and I found I could not open the photos in photoshop (CS6). I took to the internet and found that I needed to download the Adobe DNG Converter. I got the 7.3 version which says it supports the d5200, but photoshop still can't open the files. I tried restarting photoshop and my computer after downloading the plugin. I tried the same with the 8.3 version, and still no luck. Can anyone help me out?

• 1. Re: Photoshop will not open NEF files
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This might sound silly. But you indicated that you downloaded the DNG converter. You didn't indicate whether you used it to create DNG copies of your images. However, if you are using Photoshop CS6 you should be able to update to Camera Raw 8.5, and you shouldn't need to use the DNG converter at all. If you start Photoshop and go to Help/About plug-ins and choose Camera Raw, what version does it indicate that you have installed. In reality, just about any version that is compatible with Photoshop CS6 should open your raw files from that camera. How did you download the files originally to your hard drive? What software did you use to do the download?

[Added later] I should clarify that Photoshop CS6 should allow you to open the raw files from that camera, as long as you have installed Camera Raw 7.3 or newer. Photoshop CS6 started with Camera Raw 7.0. So if you haven't done any updating, that could be the reason your NEF files will not open.

• 2. Re: Photoshop will not open NEF files
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

jusdejules wrote:

I took to the internet and found that I needed to download the Adobe DNG Converter.

Not quite.

There are two options:

1. Update the Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) plug-in used by Photoshop to recognize and process Raw files, or
            2. If your version of Photoshop is not compatible with the version of ACR required to open Raw files from your camera, then download and install the DNG converter to convert Raw files to DNGs then open the DNGs in your version of Photoshop

The limitation with the ACR plugin is that

1. different versions of ACR support different camera models Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras and
            2. ACR is only compatible with specific versions of Photoshop. Full list here: Camera Raw-compatible Adobe applications

In your case, the D5200 was first supported in ACR 7.3.

Photoshop CS6 shipped with ACR 7.0 and is compatible up to ACR 8.5 (8.3 with Windows XP).

So, in PHotoshop, check your version of Camera Raw (Help > About Plug-Ins > Camera Raw). Click Help > Updates to update ACR.

• 3. Re: Photoshop will not open NEF files
              jusdejules Level 1

Thank you, I understand now that I was mistaken about the function of the DNG converter. I would rather have the current ACR obviously, so I can just open the files in Photoshop. I checked, and I currently have the 7.0 installed. My Photoshop doesn't say that there are any updates available, but I've downloaded and installed the Camera Raw 8.5 CC update from the Adobe website. I don't think the installation worked because it still says that it is the 7.0 version and won't open the files. I'm not sure what to do at this point, so maybe I'll just have to convert the files or give up on shooting in raw.

• 4. Re: Photoshop will not open NEF files
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which operating system?

• 5. Re: Photoshop will not open NEF files
                  jusdejules Level 1

I have a Mac with Mavericks

• 6. Re: Photoshop will not open NEF files
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might be able to install ACR 8.3 manually with these instructions from Adobe:

Adobe Camera Raw Help | Camera Raw/DNG Converter 8.4 on Mac OS 10.6, Windows XP, and Vista

It is intended for people to roll back their ACR 8.4 which is new compatible with older OSes to ACR 8.3, but the general instructions about how to replace one ACR plug-in with ACR 8.3 should work for whatever version of ACR you have.

This probably won't fix the underlying issue of your CS6 not being seen as updatable but it'll let  you edit D5200 raw files, at least.

• 7. Re: Photoshop will not open NEF files
                      jusdejules Level 1

Thank you! That worked