11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2014 9:36 PM by Silkrooster

make a copy of a path

DynamicIllustration

Hello, I made a complex circular path that I copied and pasted into my working art layer.  I need to make multiple copies of that path to paste in various places. How can I do it. When I do it, the path dots(?) appear, can paste but they don't go away. Please help.

• 1. Re: make a copy of a path
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It might help if you showed us. A couple of things come to mind. When I hear the word dots, I think selection "marching ants". If that is not the case, then odds are it is the other. When you select a path, it can still look like it is selected if you stay on that same layer. Try clicking on another layer and see if it still shows. Generally with the direct selection tool you would click a blank area of the document to deselect the path.

• 2. Re: make a copy of a path
            DynamicIllustration Level 1

sorry, thought about that afterwards. So in he lower lefthand is the pasted path way I created without the anchor points. I then pasted another path and the anchor points are appearing. How do I get rid of those anchor points  so it looks like the clean pasted/copy because I have to make more like that.reference.png

• 3. Re: make a copy of a path
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Selection have marching ants.  Path are made up of Vectors which are Bezier curves. A curved or straight segment with control points on either end these points may have control handles connected to them.  So your complex circular path may be a selection or a vector path.  Path can be converted into a selection and a selection converted into a path.  Selection can also be saved as an alpha channel and alpha channels can be load as a selection.  Path can be copied and worked on with vector tools.

Content of selection selected areas can be copied to the system clipboard and the clipboard content can be pasted into a document. Into a alpha channel or into a new layer. There is also Past into but I believe that still create a new layer that contains the clipboards content and is masked by the current active selection. 

I do not know what your actually trying to do from you description.  Can you describe what you want to do in a more general way the does no try to use Photoshop terminology. 

• 4. Re: make a copy of a path

dynamicillustration wrote:

sorry, thought about that afterwards. So in he lower lefthand is the pasted path way I created without the anchor points. I then pasted another path and the anchor points are appearing. How do I get rid of those anchor points  so it looks like the clean pasted/copy because I have to make more like that.reference.png

I think you mean lower right without the anchor points not lower left.  Its hard to tell what you have in your document without seeing the documents Layers and Path Palettes.

Like here you can see I have a white background layer, a work path and have selected a couple of sub-paths in the work path

Capture.jpg

• 5. Re: make a copy of a path

OK, Paths are just paths that photoshop can use for shapes or rasterized strokes and or fills. That means after you copy and paste a path, you must decide how you want to apply that path. A shape is a path applied to a vector mask. The image for that layer is just a fill, that normally would fill the entire document. The vector mask then determines what part of that fill is visible and what part is not.

In the paths panel, at the bottom, you can also stroke the path, fill the path or create a selection.

Keep in mind, if you use the path as a vector mask, that you may see two copies of that path in the paths panel. (You can invert the vector mask, by choosing subtract front shape in the top tool bar {This is shown when you have selected the path or vector mask})

Knowing all of this, means it is not always necessary to copy and paste a path, as you can fill the path, move the path and fill again like a rubber stamp.

• 6. Re: make a copy of a path
                    DynamicIllustration Level 1

Okay. So the bezier curved path I have, just select stroke the path and that will remove the bezier's and allow me to distort etc the stroke version?  If so, Great. Thank you

• 7. Re: make a copy of a path

it does not remove the path, the path stays, but when you click on the background or another layer, you should not see the path. It stays in the paths panel until you delete it. However if you are using the path to create a shape, be careful of which path you delete, deleting the wrong one, will remove the vector mask.

• 8. Re: make a copy of a path

Path can be quite complex. They Can be copied in the path palette and edited.  Path can have many closed segments.  Each closed segment is like a selection that can have have different modes like ADD, Subtract, Exclude and Intersect. There is also a stacking order like layers and its possible to merge segments.  Path have there own palette. quite like the layers palette. Path are not in the a layer contents directly but can be added in using Path options.  Here I added two empty layer over the background layer.  I target layer 2 and activated Path 20 and use path fill with gray. All segment are add mode.  Then I target Layer 1 and with Path 20 still active I Stroked the path with a 4 Px black hard edge brush.  I then deactivated Path 20 its still in the Paths Palette just not currently active. If I left the Path active you would see a thin gray path in the middle of the brush stroke.  You can also add a path to layer as vector layer mask.

Capture.jpg

• 9. Re: make a copy of a path

I like your shapes. If you know the key combination, it is possible to rotate and duplicate (step and repeat) to create those shapes. Which is way faster than rotate, copy, paste, and repeat again.

• 10. Re: make a copy of a path

Yes all you need do is rotate the current path and add identical segment to the current path. Automation is diffidently the way to do things like that.  Years ago I wrote a Plugin script to be used in actions.  The Plug-in can create Selection and Path like the marquee tools rectangle and elliptical in the mode you want with the aspect ratio you want. So it easy to create an action set that has an action that set the aspect ratio paths and other action the rotate the current path some number of degrees.  Top level action can then play these primitive action to do the repletion needed. Here I need to rotate the current path 1 degree many time. The only way sensible way to do this is with actions.

Capture.jpg

• 11. Re: make a copy of a path

Interesting...