8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2014 12:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 10 crashed when I reset my monitor panel (Windows>Restore Workspace). I cannot retrieve my saved work. Advice please?

Wivenhoe Bob

Premier Elements 10 has crashed (again) Usually I follow the procedure and recover the work.

This time I cannot recover either the original or the Copy.

The crash happened when I tried to restore the monitor from a separate monitor.

I pressed Windows<Restore<Workspace and it crashed.

There is 5 gb of work sitting there which I cannot access.

Advice and help welcome, please.

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 10 crashed when I reset my monitor panel (Windows>Restore Workspace). I cannot retrieve my saved work. Advice please?
          Barbara B. Level 7

Premiere Elements has its own forum, so I'll move this over there for you. Not many people here use it and you'll get better help in that forum.

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 10 crashed when I reset my monitor panel (Windows>Restore Workspace). I cannot retrieve my saved work. Advice please?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Wivenhoe Bob

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on and does the computer use a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card?

Please read the Announcement at the top of this forum on the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Ge Force issue which forces the user to roll back the driver version to around May 2013 in order to work with Premiere Elements 10. For your convenience, the following is a copy/paste of that Announcement.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ___

Announcement:Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

If you are a Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card and you are

experiencing Premiere Elements 10 display and/or unexplained program behavior, then your first line of

troubleshooting needs to be rolling back the video card driver version instead of assuring that it is up to date.

Since October 2013 to the present, there have been a growing number of reports about display and unexplained

workflow glitches specific to the Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer has a NVIDIA GeForce video

card. If this applies to you, then the “user to user” remedy is to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce video card driver as

far as is necessary to get rid of the problems. The typical driver roll back has gone back as far as March – July 2013

in order to get a working Premiere Elements 10. Neither NVIDIA nor Adobe has taken any corrective action in this

regard to date, and none is expected moving forward.

Since October 2013, the following thread has tried to keep up with the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA reports

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Older NVIDIA GeForce drivers can be found

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

A February 2014 overview of the situation as well as how to use the older NVIDIA GeForce drivers for the driver

roll back can be found

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe10-nvidia-video-card-roll-back.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________

Do you run the program with the AutoSave feature On? If so, please check the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder which should be (by default)

in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0 Then right click the latest AutoSave for this crashed project and select Open With Adobe Premiere Elements 10.0.

Where do you save the project.prel for this project?

Can you go to that hard drive save location (probably LIbraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0), right click the project.prel file, and select

Open With Adobe Premiere Elements 10.0.

If necessary, I will post instructions for deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 10.0 Folder in which it exists.

We will be watching for your details and results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 10 crashed when I reset my monitor panel (Windows>Restore Workspace). I cannot retrieve my saved work. Advice please?
              Wivenhoe Bob Level 1

Thanks for your response.

I have:

Windows 7 Home Premium

Processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz  3.40GHz

Installed memory (RAM) 16.0GB (15.7 GB reusable)

System type 64-bit operating system

It does not use a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card, but has a built graphics card “Intel HD Graphics 4600”.

I always run the program with the AutoSave feature On. I have checked the Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder which is (by default) is in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0

When I right click the latest AutoSave for this crashed project and select Open With Adobe Premiere Elements 10.0 it refuses to load, crashes and gives me the message “Sorry, a serious error has occurred...........................We will attempt to save your current project.”

On clicking the close button a new box appears entitled “Microsoft Visual C+ + Runtime Library” which says “Runtime Error! Programme: C:\Programme Files\... This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application’s support team for more information.” I then click the Ok button and a box “Adobe Premiere Elements 10” appears which advises me the the programme has stopped working and will notify if a solution is available. I then click on the button “Close programme.”

My project.prel is (automatically saved in  d:\Users\Bob\Desktop\Grandpa Productions (I renamed Premiere Elements on my desktop two years ago and it has been happy with that.

When I go into the  location Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0 and right click the project.prel file, and select Open With Adobe Premiere Elements 10.0 there are only 2 files. The first  is “Styles” folder, the other is “Session”.

Many thanks for the assistance.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 10 crashed when I reset my monitor panel (Windows>Restore Workspace). I cannot retrieve my saved work. Advice please?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Wivenhoe Bob

Thanks for the follow up with details.

The good news is that your computer does not use a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card in your Premiere Elements 10 setup.

Let us double check where files and folders are being directed to.

Open a new Premiere Elements  project. In the new project dialog, what does the Save In field show? Whatever it shows there is the place

where the project.prel will be saved.

Continue to the Timeline workspace and there go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. Where are the Scratch Disks directed  for

Captured video

Captured audio

Video Previews

Audio Previews

Media Cache

Disc Encoding

The file involved in the above will automatically go to the location designated in preferences. Destination for Captured video and Captured audio

can be changed in the Capture Window.

Right now I am having a problem with your report

When I go into the  location Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0 and right click the project.prel file, and select Open With Adobe Premiere Elements 10.0 there are only 2 files. The first  is “Styles” folder, the other is “Session”.

Depending on your settings for saving the project.prel, the Styles Folder and Session and Log files might be expected to be present in the 10.0 Folder in the path the you showed....and the project.prel. But, when you right click the project.prel and select Open with Premiere Elements 10, the program should be opening to the program's workspace and you should not be seeing Styles folder of Session files within the project. I am hoping that the information requested can focus us in on those save locations to direct us in the troubleshooting.

What I will be suggesting first is deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 10.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Folder exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

If that does not resolve the issue, we are heading for a deactivation of the program (Help Menu/Deactivate), uninstall, free ccleaner run through, reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Please review and consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 10 crashed when I reset my monitor panel (Windows>Restore Workspace). I cannot retrieve my saved work. Advice please?
                  Wivenhoe Bob Level 1

Q: Open a new Premiere Elements  project. In the new project dialog, what does the Save In field show? Whatever it shows there is the place where the project.prel will be saved.

A: d:\Users\Bob\Desktop\Grandpa Productions\Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save

Q: Continue to the Timeline workspace and there go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. Where are the Scratch Disks directed  for

A: All set to same as project (d:\Users\Bob\Desktop\Grandpa Productions\Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save) except Media Cache set to D:\users\bob\appdata\roaming\adobe\common

Q: What I will be suggesting first is deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

A: I did this and I can still recreate the same problem

Thanks,

Bob

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 10 crashed when I reset my monitor panel (Windows>Restore Workspace). I cannot retrieve my saved work. Advice please?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bob

Thanks for the reply. Please consider restructuring your Save In system.

Nothing but the AutoSaves should be going into that Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder.

How much free hard drive space do you have on the Local Disc C? Provided 500 GB or more...

1. Open a Premiere Elements 10 new project. In the new project Save In:, set for

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/10.0.

2. In the opened project, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk and set all the categories to

"Same As Project".

3. When you do all that, in the 10.0 Folder in Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/, you should have

Adobe Premiere Elements Auto Save Folder

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder

Encoded Folder

Layouts Folder

Media Cache Files Folder

Styles Folder

My Project.log file

Session.log file

My Project.prel file (which is the project file)

Right now it looks like you have everything pointing to this D drive. How much free hard drive space is on the D drive as compared to the C drive?

Please review and consider. Under no conditions delete any of the source media (originals) that were imported into any of your existing projects which

are now saved/closed. That will create serious problems.

If you need clarification on anything written, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR