2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2014 5:33 AM by bernardoav RSS

Troubles with Time warp (CC) effect

bernardoav

Hello everybody,

I am experiencing some troubles when using the Time warp in After Effects CC. I would like to create a smooth slow motion effect in a video, but, even applying the Easy ease on the keyframes the effect produces some distortions in the images.

I don't know if it's important to say that the original images show two people dancing in a party and there are flashing lights all the time. Does this interfere in the result of the effect?

I've used this effect before in the its CS6 version and the result was excellent. I have already checked the graphics and changed some paramethers, but this doen't change the distortions...

Thank you

• 1. Re: Troubles with Time warp (CC) effect
          Rick Gerard MVP

Some footage just does not slow down well. Here's what I would do. First, reset the time warp effect to normalize all the settings. Second, set the speed. Third, step through the footage one frame at a time until you find the frame with the most problems. It is here that you should start experimenting with things like block size, smoothness, filtering. When you get your best looking frame it is time to do a ram preview.

Some elements in the shot, like a hand moving for example, may require some roto or other techniques to create a matte layer. With some footage you will get a better result by simply using TimeRemapping with frame blending turned on. Sometimes Twixtor is the only solution. Twixtor has a lot more options than TimeWarp, but neither of them offer a one click solution to difficult shots with lots of edge detail.

• 2. Re: Troubles with Time warp (CC) effect
            bernardoav Community Member

Thank you so much Rick. I'll try it!