5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 1:39 PM by jbowden

large oam file

jonathan greet

I've just started to use edge for a very simple header. Files were getting really big and I realise that all images in the library will be included. so I started a clean file 1238 x 384 to test. The file at that stage  only has 1 red rectangle in it. I publish and the oam file came out at just over 1MB. This is far too large for something that is essentially empty. Am I missing something or is that standard. In my eyes this is far too large for my global audience on a variety of connection speeds.

• 1. Re: large oam file
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi there,

When I create this same type of composition (pixel size, and a red rectangle) and publish to oam, it's only a total of 8 KB when the Animate runtime is hosted on Adobe's CDN, and 75 KB if the runtime files are saved within the oam file.

So it seems there's other stuff in your oam file (assets in your Library, perhaps?). Can you zip and post the oam file to your Creative Cloud files, and then share it and post a link here so I can examine it?

Thanks,

Joe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: large oam file
            jonathan greet Level 1

http://adobe.ly/1nFbFMB

Here's the link. This time the file is 3mb and there's nothing in it. This is my first time trying to add edge to a site. I watched an Adobe tutorial video and it shows the OAM technique for integration with Dreamweaver.

Am I not better of using the 'web' publish target (which is producing small files)?

And if so publish as  'static html' or not.

Thanks

• 3. Re: large oam file
              jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi jonathan,

Thanks for posting your oam file - I opened it up and took a look. Here's a screenshot of the contents:

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 2.32.14 PM.png

Your posted oam file is large because there's an images folder within it containing 3.3 MB of images. Something like this can happen if you save your Animate composition into a folder that already has an images folder, because that's the same folder structure we create when you import images into Animate.

When you save your new composition into a folder that already has an images folder, Animate (in this case, incorrectly) assumes that you want to use those images in the composition you're saving (and these would appear in your Library in the Images section). But that's clearly not the case here, and thus when you published to oam, everything that was in that existing images folder also got added to the oam file.

We're working on ways to improve the user experience in Animate so this kind of unintentional behavior is less likely to happen, but in the meantime to avoid it I recommend you always save each new Animate composition into its own new folder. Then when you then publish to oam, your oam file size should be similar to what I mentioned in my last post, excepting any assets you may add later. If you are using the oam file in Dreamweaver or Muse you can make it even smaller, by checking "Host runtime files on Adobe CDN" in the publish settings for Animate Deployment Package, which should remove the edge_includes folder and reduce your oam file size by another 67 KB or so.

Hope this helps,

Joe

• 4. Re: large oam file
                jonathan greet Level 1

Thanks Joe,

I'd just figured that out for myself.

So, one more question. In a standard web workflow is there any advantage to working with an oam file or is it just better to stick with html files and incorporate the code and necessary files in the site?

• 5. Re: large oam file
                  jbowden Adobe Employee

Glad to help, jonathan.

Using oam is mainly a workflow convenience for when using the latest versions of Dreamweaver and Muse. It's a single object that you can drop into your page pretty easily.

If you prefer, you could also publish to web, and then embed runtime and div in written into Animate's HTML file into an iframe - as well as the usual caveat to remember to include the other files Animate creates when you publish into the same directory as your DW/Muse HTML file. Essentially the same process, just more manual work.

Kind regards,

Joe