1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 17, 2014 7:59 PM by MW Design

How can I make pixel art display properly?

Imbecamiel

I've written an ebook which I'm trying to format in InDesign. The issue that I'm running into is that the book is about pixel art - so obviously I need to include some pixel art in it. And with pixel art it's absolutely essential that it show at the correct size, or it'll be blurred beyond any usefulness. But... I'm having trouble getting the small images to display anything like correctly. I keep getting tiny/blurry images. I can't just grab a corner and drag to resize the pictures, because again, if it's not exactly the correct dimensions it won't look right.

Surely someone must've had an issue with this before... Can anyone help me with a solution?

• 1. Re: How can I make pixel art display properly?
          MW Design Level 4

Place it at 100% of size...which means create it at the correct size for the intended placement in ID. ID is basically based upon points and its points are equal to pixels at 72 points/pixels per inch. So if you want an image to occupy 600 px in width inside of ID @ 300dpi, do the math. 600 px X 300 dpi equals 1800 px in width. Placed at exactly 100%, it will output at that width.

If you desire to have a better preview, choose to display the higher preview either at the object level for each image frame by right-clicking and choose the higher preview resolution. As well, it is a preference option that will make each preview show at its best for each image frame that is setup to display at the setup's default. ID shows a proxy image, not the actual placed image. Even so, the high resolution preview image is still likely not as good as the actual art displays at 100% of size in Photoshop or whatever you are creating the art in. However, it is the eventual PDF that matters for the print (or your local printer).

Just for fun, in a new document, place a couple images just by clicking on the page after selecting it. That should place the image at 100% resolution. Now export a PDF/X-4 PDF. Look at the PDF in Acrobat or Reader (not Mac's Preview application, nor Windows PDF reader, depending upon your platform). Make sure the view scale is at 100%. Try a test print. It will be accurate.

Mike