7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2014 10:01 PM by A.T. Romano

PE12 freezes when adding media

BadWolfRacing

I haven't used PE12 since about April, and now that I have something to do, the program will not let me add media by any means.

I have already had issues with audio problems (here Re: Video Quality dropped and Audio out of sync (APE 12)) and went through the Handbrake sequence to try and edit some new clips. However when starting a new project (as described in previous thread) no matter how I try to add media (drag & drop, files/folders) the dialogue box that says"adding media" pops up but nothing happens. no status bar progression, no timer icon, nothing. Try to click cancel and the the (Not Responding) message appears in the box. I then get everyone's favorite message "Premiere Elements 12 has stopped responding. Would you like to Close the Program or Wait for it to Respond?".

I have done both. I've restarted the computer. I've installed the updates and restarted. I've even tried going into a previous project and adding media to that. No luck.

PE has been nothing but a headache from the word go and I'm about to seek a refund. If you're trying to decide on PE12 or something else, go with something else. 

• 1. Re: PE12 freezes when adding media
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you on Windows and have you installed the monthly updates from Microsoft?

•What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

•What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

•Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

•-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

•ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

•nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• 2. Re: PE12 freezes when adding media
            A.T. Romano Level 7

BadWolfRacing

Sorry to learn of your Premiere Elements 12 on 8.2 64 bit setbacks. For background, are you still working solely with the HandBrake converted video as source media?

1. My current understanding is that, if you purchased the product from Adobe direct, then you have within 30 days of purchase for the money back. If purchased some place else, then you need to contact the seller for its return policy. Adobe is strict about 30 days within purchase, so be aware of that and watch the date. See Adobe Chat

Under Membership, Account, Payment..

Contact Customer Care

2. Premiere Elements and HandBrake conversion apparently was the answer to your prior question. Now it sounds like you cannot introduce media into Premiere Elements at all. Am I correct in understanding that this is true for old and new projects? If so, it would appear that the issue goes to program rather than project? Does the problem disappear if you disable the antivirus program?

a. Have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists?

To do that

Local Disk C

User

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can view the complete path cited.

3. Also, please make sure that you do not have pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files.

See Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder and the Media Cache Files Folder.

And, Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and its Media Cache Database area.

4. I think it highly unlikely that the current issue targets your video card driver version since it was only April 2014 and all was going well with the HandBrake converted videos as your source media. Was there an automatic video card driver update from April 2014 until now July 2014?

Let us know if any of the above worked for you. If not, we will consider other troubleshooting if you wish to continue with the product. Depending on your answers, the next step might be to Sign Out of a project Help Menu/Sign Out, uninstall the program (Control Panel), ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaning parts), and then reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) turned off.

Looking forward to your follow up.

And best wishes whatever your decision.

ATR

• 3. Re: PE12 freezes when adding media
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>Was there an automatic video card driver update from April 2014 until now July 2014?

What I have read is that a Windows update will SOMETIMES change a screen driver DLL, which means that the Windows process of linking to a graphic adapter device driver will change, and that means that a newer (or sometimes older) device driver will be needed to fix the problem

That is not to say this IS the problem, only that it could be the problem

Two computers ago I had an NVidia card that would only work properly with one specific device driver... earlier drive and not all the functions worked... newer driver and other functions didn't work... that one specific driver and every thing worked

Just a possibility to consider

• 4. Re: PE12 freezes when adding media
                BadWolfRacing Level 1

Ok, so this was just SLIGHTLY stupid.

AT Romano, I tried everything you suggested, up through uninstalling/reinstalling the program. Lo and behold, that didn't work. Same problem. That told me it was something else outside PE that was causing the issue.

After force closing PE again, I noticed that the Handbrake corrected video clips i was trying to import had the WMP logo in the corner of the thumbnail instead of the Quicktime logo. Sure enough, Handbrake had been out putting them as .m4v files.

After deleting them and poking around in HB, I found that somehow a setting had changed that output files as Windows Media files instead of Quicktime. Strange, since I haven't touched this program since April. After converting them again to the correct format this morning, I tried again. Now that the are MP4 (or whatever the QT file is) they all added without hesitation.

While the situation answered one question, it raised another: What is it about windows media files that Adobe doesn't like? or is it something HB did that made the files incompatible with PE?

• 5. Re: PE12 freezes when adding media
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BadWolfRacing

Thanks for the great news that you have identified the issue as an unexpected change in HandBrake from its settings that worked for you to those that did not.

Great job with the troubleshooting.

I would have to do more work with the HandBrake presets to determined the impact of each with Premiere Elements compatibility. I posted only the settings that I knew first hand had worked for me.

I am glad that the HandBrake settings that I originally suggested for you are back, and all is working.

When you open HandBrake, look to the right column where it has its Presets. For now, if you have not already, make sure you are at

Regular

Normal

Do you recall what the preset was set at when you obtained the problem output from HandBrake?

I think the recent issue went to what HandBrake created when its settings got changed somehow from what worked to what did not work. I do not believe that this is a general hit on Windows Media Files and Premiere Elements in general.

Thanks for the follow ups.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: PE12 freezes when adding media
                    BadWolfRacing Level 1

Menu bar-Tools

-Options

-Output files

The last selection is "MP4 file extension"

pulldown menu has "Automatic" "Always use M4V" "Always use MP4"

Somehow, the M4V was selected and that seemed to be the magic bullet so to speak. Still scratching my head on it.

• 7. Re: PE12 freezes when adding media
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

BadWolfRacing

First thing in the morning, I will explore.

Menu bar-Tools

-Options

-Output files

The last selection is "MP4 file extension"

pulldown menu has "Automatic" "Always use M4V" "Always use MP4"

I would stay with .mp4 and away from the Automatic for your purposes as you have already found.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Containers

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=441377

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR