6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 4:34 PM by New Papa

Difference between 1080p 24 and 1080p 29.97?

New Papa

I'm trying to understand the differences between the following MPEG-2 presets for preparing a video for viewing on a PC (and attaching the computer to a HDTV):

HDTV1080p 24 High Quality

HDTV1080p 29.97 High Quality

NTSC DVD Widescreen

What sorts of differences in image quality and file size would we be talking about?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Difference between 1080p 24 and 1080p 29.97?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

New

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system it is running? If you already have Premiere Elements, I am surprised that you asked since the description of the presets are given within the program in the preset area.

NTSC DVD Widescreen

720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (the 16:9 flag would stretch the video (856 x 480 pixels) for display after encoding.

HDTV 1080p 24 High Quality

1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 24 progressive frames per second

HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality

1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second

These MPEG share opportunities allow for customization of the preset under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab of the preset.

Opportunities for the TV settings and technology should be factored into all this.

The resolution differences and similarities are obvious. So, are you asking about comments on interlaced vs progressive video and frame rate of 24 progressive frames per second versus 29.97 interlaced frames per second?

What format does your camera offer?

In the morning, broader discussion of what I think you are asking.

ATR

Add On....Do you have a particular interest in the "film look" that might be provided for by shooting 24p?

• 2. Re: Difference between 1080p 24 and 1080p 29.97?
            New Papa Level 1

Thank you for your response.

I forgot to mention that I'm shooting on miniDV. The frame rate of the camcorder is 29 frames/second. I don't necessarily need to go for the film look in the video, just to try to get the video as high quality as I can with what I have.

I'm using Premiere Elements 10, but the only description of the presets that I listed in my original posting is the information that I wrote there, at least in the version of Elements that I'm using.

I'm not sure that I know enough to use the Advanced Button in order to use a custom setting.

Would I need to consider different options for MPEG?

• 3. Re: Difference between 1080p 24 and 1080p 29.97?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

New

Thanks for the reply and the additional details of your situation.

If you have a miniDV camcorder, you are probably doing HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Capture Window.

When you do this, you can put MPEG2.mpg (1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9) on your Premiere Elements Expert workspace Timeline.

That MPEG2.mpg file displays as 1920 x 1080 pixels. A 16:9 flag stretches the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding.

When you have 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 export, playback of that export depends on the player's recognition of that 16:9 flag. Players may or may not have problems with this.

Consequently, although you set the project preset to match the properties of the source

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD HD1080i30

(for the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 match of project preset with source)

When you get to export, look at Share/Computer/MPEG with a 1920 x 1080 preset. It will not have a 16:9 flag-player recognition concern. It is 16:9 to start with.

Under Share/Computer/MPEG start by exploring and accepting the default settings for the preset

HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality

(1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second.

Then explore the Export Settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab. You might want to increase the Bitrate with

the thought of enhancing the quality. But remember, higher Bitrate, higher Quality, larger File Size, and lower Bitrate, lower Quality, smaller

File Size.

The export is a MPEG2.mpg file 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frame per second. Should give good results.

Also, look at the preset = MPEG2  1920 x 1080i30 to get a MPEG2.m2t file and a companion .xmpses informational file. Focus on the MPEG2.m2t file.

Also, explore Share/Computer/AVCHD and its .mp4 preset choices.

Go with whatever gives you the best results.

Please review and consider and then let us know if you would like any further information on this subject. Do not hesitate to ask for

clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Difference between 1080p 24 and 1080p 29.97?
                New Papa Level 1

Thank you for the options that you posted.

Everything that I tried didn't come close to matching the video quality of AVI, so even though the AVI file was huge, I decided to keep it and to delete the others. I think that since I'm not using an HD camcorder, my options are limited for quality of video that I output. AVI is the only one that looks good to me.

• 5. Re: Difference between 1080p 24 and 1080p 29.97?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

New Papa

The prior suggestions were based on HD video being imported, edited, and exported.

If you are staying with SD, have you looked at

Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - NTSC DV Standard or Widescreen

or

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Standard or Widescreen?

When you were doing your .AVI, what were you using and setting -

Publish+Share/Computer/AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Standard or Widescreen?

Upscaling is likely to lead to problems in video quality.

Did you know that you can increase the Bitrate under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of a preset in search of

better quality. But remember that the higher the Bitrate, the greater is the quality, but the larger is the file size.

ATR

• 6. Re: Difference between 1080p 24 and 1080p 29.97?
                    New Papa Level 1

Hi, ATR

Yes, it appeared that the suggestions were based on HD video being used.

I did try the other options that you mentioned in your last messsage, but I didn't like the video quality of either one.I had even tried again but by manipulating the Bitrate, but the video still did not look good to me.

For AVI, I had used the Presets for DV NTSC Widescreen. It's what I had used successfully many times in the past, but this time I was trying to see if I could be satisfied with something that would be a smaller size file.

Thank you for your feedback.