1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2012 11:07 PM by japchap

Adobe Fireworks CS3

edyes2005
      What is wrong with this progra. it is very slugglish
        • 1. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
          Level 1
          How so? Tell us about it.

What kind of machine are you using? Be MORE specific about what kind of problem you are having. Or you could be such a rant.
          • 2. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
            edyes2005 Level 1
            I have a brand new Dell XPS 410 @ 2.40 Core 2 duo running 4 GB of memory. FYI, All the rest of CS3 programs works fantastic.
            Let me explain the problem.

As soon as I select the pen tool and if i bring it to the canvas or document, the cursor looks like is blinking then i draw a circle and it looks like I am drawing in slow motion, so if i draw a circle fast, it takes about 15 seconds to complete it and when it's done it looks like square.

I have tried this on my laptop and it has the same thing. By the way, my laptop is a new laptop from Dell.
            • 3. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
              Level 7
              You need a faster computer with more memory :-D

Are you using a pen tablet or the mouse to draw the circle.

Do you mean the brush tool or the Vector Path tool ...

alex

edyes2005 wrote:
              > I have a brand new Dell XPS 410 @ 2.40 Core 2 duo running 4 GB of memory. FYI,
              > All the rest of CS3 programs works fantastic.
              > Let me explain the problem.
              >
              > As soon as I select the pen tool and if i bring it to the canvas or document,
              > the cursor looks like is blinking then i draw a circle and it looks like I am
              > drawing in slow motion, so if i draw a circle fast, it takes about 15 seconds
              > to complete it and when it's done it looks like square.
              >
              > I have tried this on my laptop and it has the same thing. By the way, my
              > laptop is a new laptop from Dell.
              >
              • 4. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                edyes2005 Level 1
                Could you please read my previous message. I am running the latest technology, how could you say I need a faster computer with more memory?

And yes, I am using a pen tablet, but this doesn't matter because i am able to reproduce the problem with a regular USB maouse.
                • 5. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                  Level 7
                  I'm sorry, I was joking about the faster computer - hence my smile at
                  the end of the sentence.

Your problem is very strange and I am not able to reproduce it. There is
                  a know lag when using a tablet and the Brush tool. If you go too fast it
                  will segment the arc into straight sections.

It sounds like you are experiencing an extreme case of this.
                  My only guess is that the mouse/tablet drivers might be conflicting with FW.

What tablet are you using?

alex

edyes2005 wrote:
                  > Could you please read my previous message. I am running the latest technology,
                  > how could you say I need a faster computer with more memory?
                  >
                  > And yes, I am using a pen tablet, but this doesn't matter because i am able
                  > to reproduce the problem with a regular USB maouse.
                  >
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                    edyes2005 Level 1
                    I am using an intuos3 tablet. FYI, I just remove the wacom tablet driver, unplug the tablet and restart the computer.
                    It's the same behavior.

What else can I do?
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                      Level 7
                      If I was in your dilemma I would try another mouse. Different
                      manufacturer to make sure it uses different drivers.

I would also have Task Manager open to see if your cpu is going through
                      the roof while trying to draw. Might shed some light.

alex

edyes2005 wrote:
                      > I am using an intuos3 tablet. FYI, I just remove the wacom tablet driver, unplug the tablet and restart the computer.
                      > It's the same behavior.
                      >
                      > What else can I do?
                      • 8. Adobe Fireworks CS3
                        Level 1
                        Hi edyes2005,

I see that you are using tablet. I was wondering why didn't you mention about your tablet at the first place? When I asked for "specific" question relating to your problem... that applies to your PC, and any other device(s) that you are working with.

Perhaps that you want to write a feature/wishlist request to Fireworks CS3 development about tablet behavior problem. I believe this must be addressed for future release such as CS4.

Please use Adobe Feature Request and Bug Report Submission Form. Again, be MORE specific, state the exact information on your machine, tablet driver version, and Fireworks version, and the nature of problem you are seeing. And the step what you did in FW, be specific on that one too. So that development team can reproduce of this and see if they have the problem as you are. If they see the problem, then they will file a bug report.

It is important that you be more specific. So that it gets to the point at once and to the core of problem quickly that way, ok?

Thanks,
                        Brian

quote:

Originally posted by: edyes2005
                        I am using an intuos3 tablet. FYI, I just remove the wacom tablet driver, unplug the tablet and restart the computer.
                        It's the same behavior.

What else can I do?
                        • 9. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                          Level 7
                          Brian,

I have a tablet as well. A wacom Intuos3, so it is the same one that
                          edyes has and I am not experiencing the problem.
                          Since the computer is brand new I wouldn't think the Wacom drivers are
                          old either. Of course that is just my assumption.

alex

Deaf Web Designer wrote:
                          > Hi edyes2005,
                          >
                          > I see that you are using tablet. I was wondering why didn't you mention about
                          > your tablet at the first place? When I asked for "specific" question relating
                          > to your problem... that applies to your PC, and any other device(s) that you
                          > are working with.
                          >
                          > Perhaps that you want to write a feature/wishlist request to Fireworks CS3
                          > development about tablet behavior problem. I believe this must be addressed for
                          > future release such as CS4.
                          >
                          > http://www.adobe.com/support/email/desdev/main.cgi?from=desdev. Again, be MORE
                          > specific, state the exact information on your machine, tablet driver version,
                          > and Fireworks version, and the nature of problem you are seeing. And the step
                          > what you did in FW, be specific on that one too. So that development team can
                          > reproduce of this and see if they have the problem as you are. If they see the
                          > problem, then they will file a bug report.
                          >
                          > It is important that you be more specific. So that it gets to the point at
                          > once and to the core of problem quickly that way, ok?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Brian
                          >
                          >
                          quote:

> I am using an intuos3 tablet. FYI, I just remove the wacom tablet driver,
                          > unplug the tablet and restart the computer.
                          > It's the same behavior.
                          >
                          > What else can I do?

>
                          • 10. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                            Level 1
                            Alex,

Perhaps that edyes2005 have a bad case of bad tablet driver. Perhaps that edyes2005 want to download latest version of driver at Wacom site. And see what happens.

If the problem persists, I think it must be addressed with Wacom engineering team, as well as Fw Development Team. I don't know if Adobe team are aware of this. That is why I recommend edyes2005 to file a feature or bug report for that matter. Just a thought or two cent advice.

Like you, I have Wacom tablet myself, and use it nicely with MacPro. I don't have any problem on my end. I believe that I have downloaded the latest driver shortly after I installed the tablet CD disc and installed appropriate drivers and didn't had a problem since then.
                            • 11. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                              Level 7
                              I think he mentioned that even with the table disconnected and a reboot
                              the problem persists. But yes, making sure the latest drivers are
                              installed is very important -

Deaf Web Designer wrote:
                              > Alex,
                              >
                              > Perhaps that edyes2005 have a bad case of bad tablet driver. Perhaps that
                              > edyes2005 want to download latest version of driver at Wacom site. And see what
                              > happens.
                              >
                              > If the problem persists, I think it must be addressed with Wacom engineering
                              > team, as well as Fw Development Team. I don't know if Adobe team are aware of
                              > this. That is why I recommend edyes2005 to file a feature or bug report for
                              > that matter. Just a thought or two cent advice.
                              >
                              > Like you, I have Wacom tablet myself, and use it nicely with MacPro. I don't
                              > have any problem on my end. I believe that I have downloaded the latest driver
                              > shortly after I installed the tablet CD disc and installed appropriate drivers
                              > and didn't had a problem since then.
                              >
                              • 12. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                edyes2005 Level 1
                                Thank you all for your input. Here's the scenario:

I have a brand new Dell XPS 410 @ 2.40 Core 2 duo running 4 GB of memory.

Let's forget about the tablet for a sec. Fresh install, restarted the computer and open up fireworks, select the brush tool, and the pen works so freaking slow. if i use any other tool such as the pencil, then it works great. FYI, I have tried this application on multiple systems such Windows Platform and I have the same problem. I have trashed the preferences file for fireworks and it is the same behaviior.

Secenario 2

New fireworks fresh install and restart then install Intuos3 wacom driver 6.02 or viceversa. The problem still remains. I don't believe the problem is with Wacom because I can reproduce the problem with or without the tablet connected and I have tried multiple USB and PS/2 mouse.

Just so you know, it works fine with flash, dreamweaver, illustrator and all the rest of cs3. By the way, itworks great in fireworks cs2.

I hope this helps.

With the wacom Intuos3 tablet running the lastest driver 6.02, it has the same behavior
                                • 13. Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                  Level 1
                                  edyes2005,

Ok.

However, when you say "Fireworks CS2" with a digit number of '2' at end of CS. There is no such a thing with Fw CS2. Either that you type wrong... or could you clarify as in Fw 8 or Fw 9 (of course CS3).

Cheers, Brian
                                  • 14. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                    edyes2005 Level 1
                                    Brian:

I agreed with you. Sorry, it was a typo. I forgot that Adobe took over Macromedia. So yes, Fireworks 8.0

• 15. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                      edyes2005 Level 1
                                      FYI, I just re-installed the OS and I still have the same problem. Any other idead?
                                      • 16. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                        Level 1
                                        What kind of error message are you getting, if any?

Also, did you try to download a clean CS3 script to clean or get rid of certain components or any files that might be of a real problem to install. I think there is some kind of componenets left behind on your machine on previous or last installation attempt. So there is possible old problem yet resolved.

Try to do clean CS3 script to clean the problem. If there is a problem persists after re-installation. Perhaps that you want to contact Adobe customer service/tech support to seek further assistance. For more inormation, please refer to "Contact" on top of Adobe site.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Brian

quote:

FYI, I just re-installed the OS and I still have the same problem. Any other idead?

• 17. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                          oLouv
                                          I have the exact same issue,
                                          Brush tool won't work well, blinking cursor and horrible lag...
                                          I have a wacom CTE-440... Must be a driver issue...
                                          The problem still remains if i unplug the graphic tablet and use my mouse.
                                          • 18. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                            Level 1
                                            edyes2005 / All -

Are you by chance running Windows Vista and using the Aero theme? Try switching to classic mode and let us know if the problem persists.
                                            • 19. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                              Alex_Iline
                                              quote:

Originally posted by: Alan Musselman
                                              edyes2005 / All -

Are you by chance running Windows Vista and using the Aero theme? Try switching to classic mode and let us know if the problem persists.

After switching to classic mode the problem is disapear.

• 20. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                quickwebs.com.au
                                                I too have just purchased a new DELL E521 with 4 GB ram & done the CS3 web install under Windows Vista and was using the Aero theme, I had a real mouse / tool flicker problem only in FIREWORKS CS3 & only on the canvas with only the ERASER tool selected, every thing else was fine.

I just read your post ALAN & changed over to the classic theme (pretty ugly) BUT IT FIXED the tool flicker problem in fireworkd cs3, I am trying to make this post as seach friendly for mouse flicker or lag using windows vista, review change aero theme for
                                                Vista flicker problem.
                                                • 21. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                  sFry
                                                  Did you ever manage to solve the problem you had with the pen tool? I have a new computer with a dual core processor and whenever I try to use the pen tool or erasor it blinks and moves in slow motion. It's driving me crazy. I keep going back to my old version of Fireworks.
                                                  • 22. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                    pixlor Level 4
                                                    sFry,

The answer is to turn off the Aero interface when using Vista. From another thread, same subject ( troubles with brush tool/mouse looses control), it is possible to turn off Aero only for Fireworks:
                                                    quote:

I found a workaround that I don't mind, right click the fireworks.exe, go to properties, compatibility, and check "disable desktop composition", that will turn off aero only when you are using fireworks.
                                                    ~ balupton

• 23. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                      cpncrisp
                                                      Sorry to dig up an old topic, but is Adobe going to address this in an upcoming patch?

Latest updates haven't, and having to turn off Aero is just like telling us to format your computer or something... it changes your O/S and your workflow.

Just moving a simple black rectangle around the canvas, even with this workaround, is agonizingly slow, with the rectangle obviously trailing behind my mouse, even when using the classic theme.
                                                      I have 2GB ram, P4 3.2 Ghz Extreme Edition, X800 Pro, up-to-date drivers, etc etc, and everything worked perfectly in xp. What's up?

Fireworks CS3 on Vista, is like the speed difference between fireworks MX, and MX 2004, but backwards.

Sorry if I sounded rude in any way, I do appreciate all that the community is doing, even by providing the current workaround, just that it takes time upgrading from XP, and it takes time insalling CS3, and it took time to realize it doesn't work the same way. Can't exactly downgrade from vista anyway...

At least in the meantime, maybe there's a more advanced solution that won't require us to disable aero, or the brush sized cursors?

Thanks,

Eugene

• 24. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                        Level 7
                                                        cpncrisp wrote:
                                                        > Sorry to dig up an old topic, but is Adobe going to address this in an
                                                        > upcoming patch?

>
                                                        > Latest updates haven't, and having to turn off Aero is just like telling us to
                                                        > format your computer or something... it changes your O/S and your workflow.
                                                        >
                                                        > Just moving a simple black rectangle around the canvas, even with this
                                                        > workaround, is agonizingly slow, with the rectangle obviously trailing behind
                                                        > my mouse, even when using the classic theme.
                                                        > I have 2GB ram, P4 3.2 Ghz Extreme Edition, X800 Pro, up-to-date drivers, etc
                                                        > etc, and everything worked perfectly in xp. What's up?
                                                        >
                                                        > Fireworks CS3 on Vista, is like the speed difference between fireworks MX, and
                                                        > MX 2004, but backwards.

I'm using FW CS3 in Vista with Areo and I'm not seeing the slowdown
                                                        issues you are.

> to realize it doesn't work the same way. Can't exactly downgrade from vista
                                                        > anyway...

That wouldn't be a solution, that's for sure.

> At least in the meantime, maybe there's a more advanced solution that won't
                                                        > require us to disable aero, or the brush sized cursors?

Well, I've asked others so I will ask you as well. What antivirus
                                                        software are you running?

--
                                                        Stéphane Bergeron
                                                        reach : connect : communicate
                                                        http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                                                        blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                                                        http://www.pixelyzed.com
                                                        • 25. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                          jprush
                                                          A status update from Adobe would be great on this issue...

Also running a Dell 720 H2C extreme edition high end system. Fireworks CS3 chokes on tools unless desktop composition is disabled.
                                                          • 26. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                            cpncrisp Level 1
                                                            quote:

None. I don't use one - the vista machine doesn't connect to the internet - I use a KVM to switch between that and this computer which does.

Thanks for your help.
                                                            • 27. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                              jadey919
                                                              quote:

Originally posted by: cpncrisp
                                                              quote:

None. I don't use one - the vista machine doesn't connect to the internet - I use a KVM to switch between that and this computer which does.

Thanks for your help.

• 28. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                zerocook
                                                                Guys just found a solution, instead of having to using vista in classic mode, right click on fireworks icon > properties > check "run this program in compatibity mode for" windows xp (service pack 2). This solved the problem for me. Hope it works for everyone.
                                                                • 29. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                  Snaz1
                                                                  What I did to solve my Fireworks CS3 Sluggishness was right click on the fireworks shortcut, go to properties then the compatibility tab then put a checkmark in "disable visual themes" and "disable desktop composition" and the whole program ran smoothly after that, I didn't need to put a check in "run compatibility mode for windows xp sp2" simply those 2. Hope it works for you.

Cheers,
                                                                  • 30. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                    WesleyWex
                                                                    Thats very embarassing for adobe.

Or they just don't invest on Fireworks as they should... Flash got an awesome interface remake, why not Fireworks?

• 31. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                      WesleyWex Level 1
                                                                      Oh, and just disabling desktop composition is enough, MX did it automatically at lauch.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        All - I understand your frustrations. We are doing the best we can to fix the Vista specific performance issue we are discussing here. I'd appreciate it if you Private message me and let me know you would like to join the Fireworks Beta? Please only serious inquries. We are putting a lot of focus into performance for Fireworks 10!
                                                                        • 33. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                          livenletlive
                                                                          quote:

Originally posted by: Snaz1
                                                                          What I did to solve my Fireworks CS3 Sluggishness was right click on the fireworks shortcut, go to properties then the compatibility tab then put a checkmark in "disable visual themes" and "disable desktop composition" and the whole program ran smoothly after that, I didn't need to put a check in "run compatibility mode for windows xp sp2" simply those 2. Hope it works for you.

Cheers,

• 34. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                            livenletlive Level 1
                                                                            quote:

Originally posted by: Snaz1

Cheers,

Thanks so much for this tip. I have avoided using Fireworks for this reason. I could not draw with the brush. The brush trailed waaaay behind the cursor and I couls no tell what I was drawing.

Thanks again.

• 35. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                              Hooper_X
                                                                              quote:

Originally posted by: zerocook
                                                                              Guys just found a solution, instead of having to using vista in classic mode, right click on fireworks icon > properties > check "run this program in compatibity mode for" windows xp (service pack 2). This solved the problem for me. Hope it works for everyone.

You Sir, or Madam, are a flipping genius! This worked like a charm.

• 36. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                                inaz4sun
                                                                                Why is the Windows Vista 256x256 icon for Fireworks smaller, not like the PHotoshop and Dreamworks icons?
                                                                                • 37. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                                  Larry Pelty
                                                                                  I think everyone in this thread is having problems under vista....but how about on a Mac?

I'm running Fireworks CS3 (actually the whole Master Collection) on an 8 core Mac Pro with 10GB memory, 512MB Nividia card, intuos3 wacom tablet, dual 24 in. monitors, and about 3TB (yes TB) of storage.

Basically, fireworks CS3 (and the previous version as well) acts like I'm running on a VERY old machine. Selecting another element in a layer can sometimes take 5-10 seconds for the properties palette to reflect the attributes of the new selected element. Like....click....wait....for...it.....ok now I can add a drop shadow. Changing font size or color, or element color takes 4 or 5 seconds to show up on the screen. CPU usage never goes up (i have a monitor in the toolbar) but everything is just sluggish. It was this way with the previous version 8 but I had just assumed it was because it wasn't a universal app.

Every other app in the master collection has it's own set of issues but in terms of performance all of the others work great. It's just FW that is the problem.

Any ideas?
                                                                                  Larry
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                                    ForrestWW
                                                                                    I have the same problem. I have a brand new Dell XPS M1530 Vista 32 Bit, 4 gb RAM, 256 mb Graphics Card, 160 gb hard 7200RPM.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Adobe Fireworks CS3
                                                                                      ForrestWW Level 1
                                                                                      Right click Fireworks.exe, go to properties > compatibility > and check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows XP SP2. This works fine. It switches from the Windows Aero to Windows Basic, only when using Fireworks.
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next