4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 3:42 AM by gphe

Photomerge causes Photoshop CS5 to crash

gphe

Whenever I click on File - Automate - Photomerge, Photoshop crashes. It happens with both 32 bit and 64bit versions.

Is there any easy solution ?

Cheers,

Geoff

• 1. Re: Photomerge causes Photoshop CS5 to crash
          deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

hi

could you please check the version of the graphic card driver. make sure it is updated to the latest version

could you also let me know the specification of your computer.

• 2. Re: Photomerge causes Photoshop CS5 to crash
            gphe Level 1

Thanks.

Graphics card is AMD Radeon HD6000 - I have loaded the latest driver and also tried going back a couple of versions.

I have also reloaded Photoshop.

Processor is Intel i7-3770 3.40Ghz. 16mb RAM.  Windows 7 64bit.

I have 1920MB (59%) of RAM available to Photoshop and 560GB of scratch disk available.

I'm not sure how long I have had the Photomerge problem as I have only recently tried to use it.  But I have also recently started getting what appears to be the quite common error "Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements". I have not found a cure for that anywhere.

I have searched for, but can not find sniffer - which seems to cause some GPU issues

I have a suspicion that the problem might be in the registry as I also had problems with network connections, which were solved with some regisrty editting suggested in another forum.  It appears that some registry cleaners can add artifacts that disrupt networks. Once I removed those the unwanted elements the network worked fine. So I think maybe my registry cleaner may have made chnages that affect Photomerge.

• 3. Re: Photomerge causes Photoshop CS5 to crash
              deepakg1988 Adobe Employee

hi

please go to the edit >preferences>performance

and increase the ram allocated minimum 70%

please check the screen shot below, try this and let me know

blog.png

• 4. Re: Photomerge causes Photoshop CS5 to crash
                gphe Level 1

I had already tried increasing it to 90% (2967) and that didn't help, so I thought I'd bring it back into PS idea range (1790 to 2343) - it didn't make any difference.

To give you something else to think about, if I disable the Radeon Graphics card and open PS - Photomerge works, so we immediatley think the card (or driver) is at fault. However, if I open PS then enable the graphics card - Photomerge still works. When I reopen PS Photomerge makes it crash !!

So it seems it is directly related to the presence of the graphics card when PS is opened.