14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 11:54 PM by ssprengel

Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5

Bob_Peters Level 3

I posted this question on the Lightroom Forum but am not fully satisfied with the responses.  With apologies...

A profile named "NIKON 1 J3 (Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6) - RAW.lcp" was added to the lens profile folder when I installed Camera Raw 8.6 RC.  However, this lens does not show up in the profiles for images recorded with the CX 70-300 lens mounted on my Nikon 1 V3.  However, when I open one of the NEF files using CS6 or CC the lens profile is present.

Can someone explain why this is the case?

• 1. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you see the profile in PS, is it in ACR or after you’ve opened into PS, itself?

• 2. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5
            Bob_Peters Level 3

The profile is available in ACR when I open an NEF file created with that CX lens.  As far as I know the lens correction profile for ACR is the same as for Lightroom and there is one and only one copy.

• 3. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5

Can you pick the lens profile in LR if you turn off Auto?  If so then you can do a Save new lens profile defaults, and have it chosen automatically if you have the Setup set to Default instead of Auto.

• 4. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5
                Bob_Peters Level 3

I just tried "Default", "Auto" and Custom" in Lightroom 5.5.  In none of those cases does the appropriate "Nikon 1 Nikkor" lens appear in the popup list.  The profile does, however, appear in ACR 8.6 RC.

I wonder if there could be an internal labeling problem in the profile itself which prevents Lightroom from "seeing" it?

FYI:  The profile directory path on my MacPro is shown below.

MacPro13/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/Nikon

In that directory is the lens profile "NIKON 1 J3 (Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6) - RAW.lcp".

• 5. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5

It appears this is a new lens for ACR 8.6, right:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/cameraraw8-6/index.html

If so, then LR 5.5 won’t have it, but as I said on the LR forum, you can copy any profile you want to the shared Users profile area, the location of which is shown, here:

http://members.lightroomqueen.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1373/205/lightroom-5-default- locations#7

• 6. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5
                    Bob_Peters Level 3

That document section describes where a user should place a custom lens profile he has created.  At the present time there are no lens profiles in the user Library.  That is, there are no lens profiles in

/ Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / LensProfiles /

So all profiles I am using are found under the system Library with partial pathname "MacPro13/Library/Application Support/...".

I just placed a copy of "NIKON 1 J3 (Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6) - RAW.lcp" into "/ Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / LensProfiles /" and I can now see that profile in Lightroom 5.5.

The question is Why didn't Lightroom pickup the profile in its original location?

• 7. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5
                      ccastleb Adobe Employee

Hi Bob,

The lens profiles installed with Camera Raw (those in the system Library location) are not used by Lightroom. It installs its own copies of the profiles in a separate location. The next version of Lightroom will contain the Nikon 1 70-300mm profile and others installed with the official public release of Camera Raw 8.6. You can temporarily work around this as suggested above.

The "user" profiles location is generally reserved for custom profiles not generated by Adobe.

Regards,

- Chris

• 8. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5
                        Bob_Peters Level 3

ccastleb wrote:

Hi Bob,

The lens profiles installed with Camera Raw (those in the system Library location) are not used by Lightroom. It installs its own copies of the profiles in a separate location. The next version of Lightroom will contain the Nikon 1 70-300mm profile and others installed with the official public release of Camera Raw 8.6. You can temporarily work around this as suggested above.

The "user" profiles location is generally reserved for custom profiles not generated by Adobe.

Regards,

- Chris

Two things:

(1)  I would love to know where that "separate location" is.  A search of my MacPro only reveals a single copy of a given lens profile.

(2)  Please point to the "work around" suggested above.  I honestly don't see it.

(3)  Since ACR and Lightroom "share" the same RAW pipeline, why must there be 2 storage locations for what I assume to be the same lens profile?

• 9. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5

LR knows exactly what Adobe profiles it ships with and will ignore any other profiles in the application profiles area, so even if there is only one location on a Mac (where there are two on a PC) then LR 5.5 doesn't know anything about any new profiles that ship with ACR 8.6 RC, and won't see them.

The workaround is still the same--copy the ACR 8.6 RC profile that LR cannot see to the shared, third-party folder that the LRQ describes the location of.  This is a temporary workaround because once LR does have and know about the new profile, you don't need the RC profile in the shared users location, anymore, and it really should be deleted, unless they change the name of it between the RC and the final release, in which case you might need to keep the Users one so any old profile assignments you've made before the final would still find it.

• 10. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5
                            Bob_Peters Level 3

Thanks for the help, ssprengel.  The workaround does, in fact, work as you say.

FYI:  There are two visible directories for lens profiles on a Mac.  One is under the system Library, "MacPro2013/Library" in my case.  The other visible one is under my user area Library.

However, I really wish I had definitive answers to my items (1) and (3), above. 

• 11. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5

You can test whether LR uses the folder you find the ACR 8.6 RC profiles in by shutting down LR, moving all the .lcp files in that folder to another folder above and outside the folder structure where they are now, and then start up LR and see if it still finds profiles.  If you can still select profiles then it is likely that LR is using profiles that are somewhere else, but if the profiles disappear then LR is in fact sharing the same set of profiles, and I don't know why the PC would separate them and the Mac wouldn't, then.

A further confirming step in the test would be, with the profiles still moved elsewhere, start up ACR and see if it can see the profiles or not, just in case there is some compiled or cached data for the profiles that both are using that isn't reliant on the .lcp files existing.  In other words, if you move the profiles from the one folder where you have found them, to somewhere else, and neither LR nor PS can see any profiles, then they are both using that set.

• 12. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5
                                Bob_Peters Level 3

ssprengel wrote:

You can test whether LR uses the folder you find the ACR 8.6 RC profiles in by shutting down LR, moving all the .lcp files in that folder to another folder above and outside the folder structure where they are now, and then start up LR and see if it still finds profiles.  If you can still select profiles then it is likely that LR is using profiles that are somewhere else, but if the profiles disappear then LR is in fact sharing the same set of profiles, and I don't know why the PC would separate them and the Mac wouldn't, then.

A further confirming step in the test would be, with the profiles still moved elsewhere, start up ACR and see if it can see the profiles or not, just in case there is some compiled or cached data for the profiles that both are using that isn't reliant on the .lcp files existing.  In other words, if you move the profiles from the one folder where you have found them, to somewhere else, and neither LR nor PS can see any profiles, then they are both using that set.

ssprengel:  I am in your debt for suggesting such an obvious test.  My graduate school profs would be ashamed of me .

I removed all the Nikon profiles from the LensProfiles directory stored under the system Library and found:

(1)  no Nikon lens profiles were found when using Photoshop except the one profile that I copied into the LensProfiles directory under the user Library.  Therefore Photoshop uses the profiles stored in LensProfiles directory under the system Library.

(2)  all required lens profiles were found when using Lightroom 5.5:  Lightroom does not use the profiles stored in LensProfiles directory under the system Library directory.

Conclusion (2) was totally unexpected!  Lightroom keeps a "secret cache" of lens profiles somewhere on my system.

Dare I ask someone to tell me why Lightroom uses lens profiles in this manner?

• 13. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5

Not having a Mac for myself to verify from, but looking for other forum messages that talk about profile locations on a Mac, look in the following locations:

User profile area - which you already know:

/Macintosh HD/Users/Username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles

Lightroom Profile area?
                                    /Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/LensProfiles or maybe

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/LensProfiles unless this is the same as the Users area, above

• 14. Re: Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 access via Lightroom 5.5

I see someone answered you more directly on the other thread, about doing a Show Package Contents to see the profiles:

Nikon 1 Nikkor 70-300 VR (CX mount) profile missing?

I can think of several reasons why Adobe might want to keep PS and LR profiles separate:

1)  If I uninstall PS then LR would no longer work, and vice versa, if I uninstalled LR then PS would no longer work--assuming the uninstall would also uninstall the files it installed.  

2)  LR and PS know exactly what profiles they come with, so even if there are extra profiles in the folder that came from another install of another product, then each application wouldn't see it--you found this out.

3)  It is possible to have errors in profiles, and even newer versions of profiles that might have a different internal structure, so if one has an old version of PS and a new version of LR and they shared the same profiles, it might be possible the PS-ACR would stop working because it didn't understand something about the new LR profiles.

Basically it is messy to have two applications, that can be independently installed and updated and uninstalled, sharing the same data.