8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 9:34 AM by Joel Cherney

Pagemaker 7.0 to Indesign (devnagri fonts)

raghugada Level 1

I have a pagemaker file in hindi font, when in open this file in indesign it displays warning saying font missing. The fonts are already installed. There are no missing fonts in pagemaker.

Indesign is not detecting font and formating.

When i copy the pagemaker content in clipboard and paste in indesign its works absolutly fine but when i open the same file in indesign the font misses, style, formating etc..

I am using cs5

I am trying to switch to indesign but without this i cannot move forward.

Can any one help how resolve this problem ?

• 1. Re: Pagemaker 7.0 to Indesign (devnagri fonts)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Conversion of Pagemaker fonts can be anything from great to useless. First question is do you have the World Ready Composer turned on in ID (I presume you do, but have to ask)?

Are you able to simply use Find Font to substitute the font for itself and go on?

• 2. Re: Pagemaker 7.0 to Indesign (devnagri fonts)
            raghugada Level 1

World Ready Composer is turned on.

Substitute font would work only if the file contains the single font. The file contains more than one font based on formating.

• 3. Re: Pagemaker 7.0 to Indesign (devnagri fonts)

I think you may have misunderstood. You said all of the required fonts are installed. If that's the case, then you should be able to replace each one with itself independently.

I suspect, though, that the fonts really aren't installed and that you used the bold or italic formatting buttons in PM to fake bold or italic fonts that don't actually exist. ID does not have this sort of fakery, and you must manually (use a style) add a very small stroke (and adjust the tracking if necessary) for fake bold or manually (again use a style) slant the glyphs for italic. Neither of those is considered good typographic practice and you really should find fonts that have all the weights and styles you need if you have been using this technique in the past.

• 4. Re: Pagemaker 7.0 to Indesign (devnagri fonts)
                raghugada Level 1

I have all the fonts installed, its displays perfectly in pagemaker file then why its not in indesign ?

I want the indesign automatically detect the font when i open the page maker file. i am only apply the normal style not bold or italic style.

I have lot files to work with and there are 100's fonts to work with please tell me the realistic solution.

Copying the matter from pagemaker and pasting in indesign works perfectly, here in this case it detect all the fonts, formatting and style.

• 5. Re: Pagemaker 7.0 to Indesign (devnagri fonts)

I cannot tell you why ID sees the fonts when you paste, but not when you open the PM file. Is it all fonts, or only a few?

I've already told you the solution: If the fonts are real, and installed, use Type > Find Font to replace them with themselves (or open Find Font during the file open process when prompted about missing fonts). This will be tedious, but I don't know any other way.

• 6. Re: Pagemaker 7.0 to Indesign (devnagri fonts)
                    raghugada Level 1

I cannot tell you why ID sees the fonts when you paste, but not when you open the PM file. Is it all fonts, or only a few?

This is for all the fonts.

• 7. Re: Pagemaker 7.0 to Indesign (devnagri fonts)

I have no idea what is causing this.

• 8. Re: Pagemaker 7.0 to Indesign (devnagri fonts)
                        Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have all the fonts installed, its displays perfectly in pagemaker file then why its not in indesign ?

Hold up a second here. The fonts show up in the dropdown menu in InDesign? (Make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom of the list to see the non-Latin-script font categories.) But your text shows up as what, exactly? A row of boxes? A bunch of nonsense Latin script? What font(s) are you using, anyways? When you paste into ID, it displays using the exact same fonts as in PM? Or in a different font or face? If you paste into ID, does turning the World-Ready Composer on and off change the correct display of text?

Conversion of non-Latin-script stuff from PM to ID is always flaky. This is made worse by the fact that InDesign is pretty picky about fonts.

(It's almost always worth trying a diagnostic recompose in PM before opening the file in ID.)