3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 10:32 AM by rob day Branched from an earlier discussion.

Placing DNG files for Mockup Design in Indesign

stijill Level 1

We are not asking for much. A plug-in for inDesign to pickup a full size preview saved in thew DNG file. Our intentions would not be for any form of output, but for visual layout and a rough ideal of how any (100+) images freshly shot would look in several design concepts yet to be conceived. At times I'll bring my laptop to the photographers studio and have the assistant process the raw file while the photographer shooting.

• 1. Re: Placing DNG files for Mockup Design in Indesign
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I've branched this to a new discussion.

Yo'u may think it's not much, but you're not a software engineer. You can file a feature request here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form but be prepared to make a strong business case for most users.

You could also hire one of the many developers out there and see how much they'll charge you for this.

• 2. Re: Placing DNG files for Mockup Design in Indesign
            stijill Level 1

Thank you for your response "Yo'u may think it's not much, but you're not a software engineer" that was very insulting.

I don't thing Mike Gough would approve of your tone.

The tone of my response was out of frustration towards most of the replies from staff members that where very demeaning to the original user who posted.

I understand it's a lot more involved then how I phrased it. But this is the software engineers job and I am the customer. Just like I treat most of my clients, most don't understand the process that is involve in executing and delivering their needs and want's, but I give them the benefit of the doubt.

So next time just direct me to the "features" instead of placing a demeaning comment towards one of many a half a million users of Adobe software. Remember It takes only one…

• 3. Re: Placing DNG files for Mockup Design in Indesign
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              We are not asking for much. A plug-in for inDesign to pickup a full size preview saved in thew DNG file.

I think the problem with placing a proxy instead of an "exposed negative" is that it would potentially create confusion over the quality of the RAW or DNG format. The formats exist because they maximize the potential quality of the camera. A proxy might work for your cataloging needs, but ID's primary use is for highend printing and a proxy could easily be a problem on press if it was unknowingly used.

The place tip mentioned in the other thread can be automated with a script.

If you are using OSX this zip archive contains 2 AppleScripts, which will open a selected RAW file, save it to a folder in the RAW file's parent directory, and place that file in the selected ID frame, or if there's no selection, on the active page.

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/PlacingRAW.zip

There are 2 versions, one saves a PSD with a smart layer, the other a full res JPEG at max quality. The downside of the smart layer version is its file size (135mb from my Canon 6D RAW), but it is non destructive. I've only tested them in IDCS6 and PSCC on10.8.5. The saved files are at the camera's max pixel dimensions at 300ppi, and as AdobeRGB.