7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 10:53 PM by RixPix56

Lightroom renders reds as pinks?

RixPix56

For a long time I thought (incredulously, and no-one else complains of this), that my Nikon DSLR was unable to record reds, such as flowers.  Then I though it was my monitor calibration.  But when I downloaded to an iPad, the rendering was as I saw the colour.  I have recently begun using DXO Pro 9 experimentally, and just now tried Nikon NXD, and it is painfully obvious that the problem is actually Lightroom (or something in my settings)

I have carefully used an example from a recently shot NEF file and processed it as a TIFF in Lightroom 5.5, DXO Pro 9, and Nikon NXD, without any processing at all within any of these programs.  I also made Tiffs with Lightroom set to render sRGB and AdobeRGB.  There is lack of saturation in all of them because there was no adjustment at all, but Lightroom is definitely "pink" compared to the unsaturated red of the others.

Note, to put them in this post I have resized them down again as required. I don't want to have to stop using Lightroom for critical colour work so any help appreciated - thank you.

• 1. Re: Lightroom renders reds as pinks?
          dj_paige Level 9

Your photos did not appear.

When you say "there is lack of saturation in all of them because there was no adjustment at all", well ... unadjusted NEF files usually appear unsaturated in Lightroom, this is pretty normal. You need to adjust the photos yourself, possibly via a camera calibration profile which bumps up the red saturation or develop preset which bumps up the saturation.

• 2. Re: Lightroom renders reds as pinks?
            thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You have to calibrate the display (properly) and the iPad isn't color managed by a long shot so I wouldn't expect it to match your desktop. But an sRGB image should look reasonable on the iPad which indicates maybe your display is way off?

You might want to load a reference test image into the various products and view them to see how they render (pink or OK). Here's one but it's in Adobe RGB (1998) which shouldn't be an issue outside of the iPad:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

Here's another in ColorMatch RGB which is pretty close to sRGB and could be used as well on the iPad (but I think that's just another piece you can initially ignore):

http://digitaldog.net/files/Printer%20Test%20file.jpg

• 3. Re: Lightroom renders reds as pinks?
              RixPix56 Level 1

Thank you dj-paige and Andrew.

I think I have not explained the issue well enough.  I will try the reference photos thank you Andrew.

But the point is that when I shoot a red flower and use any othe program to view the raw image, or a camera generated jpeg for that matter, the same monitor renders them "red" as they are in reality.

When I import them, raw or jpeg, into Lightroom, it renders them "pink" and outputs them "pink" as well.

Is there a setting on Lightroom or some other reason this is happening?

Regards

• 4. Re: Lightroom renders reds as pinks?
                RixPix56 Level 1

PS - any idea why the photos did not appear ?

they were loaded via the camera symbol above and complied with the rules about pixel size and Mb - there were 4, and they most definitely uploaded to somewhere on the Adobe site?

• 5. Re: Lightroom renders reds as pinks?
                  thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

RixPix56 wrote:

But the point is that when I shoot a red flower and use any othe program to view the raw image, or a camera generated jpeg for that matter, the same monitor renders them "red" as they are in reality.

But it's not necessarily reality IF those products are not color managed. The preview is a lie. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case as I don't know enough about all the aspects of your problem. But one thing is real, if you view RGB values outside an ICC aware application, what you're seing isn't correct. LR is ICC aware.

• 6. Re: Lightroom renders reds as pinks?
                    HansVanEijsden Level 1

Are you really sure it's both RAW and JPG? Not only RAW? Because my thoughts are going to the issue with camera calibration profiles for RAW files and especially the reds (and blues, and skin tones in the shadows).
                    Maybe my article at http://www.hansvaneijsden.com/colorchecker-perfect-skin-colors/ can help you with creating custom camera profiles.

• 7. Re: Lightroom renders reds as pinks?
                      RixPix56 Level 1

Thank you all for your attention to my question.  Having read Hans article, it became obvious to me that you were thinking subtle colour shifts whereas what I was experiencing were what I call dramatic, to the point where a red object was looking like a pink one.

This morning (in Australia) I set about a careful redocumentation of the problem and another attempt to upload photos for you all to see. I photographed distinctly red objects around the house in JPEG and Nikon raw, and imported them into DxO Pro 9, Nikon Capture NX-D, and to Lightroom.  The first two programs treated both raw and jpeg as I would have expected, subtle colour shifts between each program and between raw and jpeg in both.  But neither program rendered any shot of a red object on my monitor anything but a blend of red.  I then imported the same originals to Lightroom.  On the jpegs, so far so good, but the raw image of a red felt object rendered it distinctly a pink felt object.  Prompted by reading Hans's colour profile article I began looking through Lightroom's settings and eventually in the develop module, the camera calibration, which was correctly set to "2012" but also to "adobe standard".   The nub of the problem !  On changing that to camera neutral or any of the others, the pink felt suddenly turned red again. 

So the issue which has plagued me for months if not years and which I had not noticed as significant except for red objects is resolved. 
                      The question now is whether Lightroom will hold that setting in all the raw images I import.  Hopefully yes, but if anyone has a suggestion about that I would be grateful.

In the meantime, I now know what to do to fix it.

Again thank you for your valuable responses (and to Hans for how to get very serious about this - I have bookmarked his article.