5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2014 12:37 PM by Noel Carboni

Missing Shortcut error message

Angryf1sh

The .psd file I've been working on has disappeared from the folder it was in, and when I find it using the search function, I get an error message saying "Missing Shortcut - Windows is searching for [file].psd. To locate the file yourself, click Browse.". I can't find the file when I click browse though, I can only find it by searching for it (and when I mouse over it, it says it's in the original folder, which it definitely is not). Is there any way to restore the file so I can continue working on it? And if not, what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

I'm using Photoshop CS6, running Windows 7.

• 1. Re: Missing Shortcut error message
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Sounds like a basic Windows usage issue.

Can you be more specific about what folder you're saving it in, and where it's ultimately found?  Ideally show some screen grabs of the key points along the way.  I'm sure something can be done to keep you from losing files.  Losing files is not typical.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Missing Shortcut error message
            Angryf1sh Level 1

The folder it was in was this one on the right, which is on the desktop. That's the full list of everything in it, and you can see on the left the search thing telling me it's in there when it isn't.

Photoshop help.jpg

This is the message I get when I click on the file from search list. Browse takes me to the folder it used to be in, but it's still not there.

Photoshop help 3.jpg

If I leave the above message for a few seconds it will be replaced with this one:

Photoshop help 2.jpg

I definitely didn't do anything to the shortcut or the file though, so I'm at a loss as to where it could have gone.

• 3. Re: Missing Shortcut error message
              Noel Carboni Level 8

The folder you're showing on the right appears to be under your Favorites folder.  But that could be Explorer tricking the eye.

I recommend you avoid the use of the abstractions Microsoft provides and use real hard drive folders.  You'll have a lot fewer problems if you use folders that are rooted on a hard drive.  This isn't a Photoshop thing, it's a Windows thing - the various abstractions (including Desktop) are poorly implemented.  Other problems people see are folders where the contents get out of sync with the files that are there.

I've actually had a lot of experience diagnosing this kind of problem.  In every case using real hard drive folders has solved them.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Missing Shortcut error message
                Angryf1sh Level 1

For some reason on my laptop it lists the desktop as being in the favourites folder, I hadn't really noticed before you pointed it out. The folder I was using is in the desktop rather than being directly in the favourites folder. What do you mean by folders that are rooted on the hard drive?

Thanks for all the help.

• 5. Re: Missing Shortcut error message
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

The "abstractions" - folders that look like they're in one place but are really in another (or several, in the case of libraries, which are a conglomeration) - just don't work very well in Windows.

Under Computer you will find your hard drives listed.  One of them will be drive C:, for example.

You can create a working folder on your C: drive.  A typical place to work will be to navigate to \Users\YourUsername and create subfolders there.  In my case I chose not to do that but created a root level folder called C:\MMEDIA under which I do  my image work.  One thing you have to keep in mind is that you have to make sure you set the permissions on a newly created folder so that your username has Full Control permissions.

-Noel