3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 9:25 PM by go4anthony

Video playback very slow/failing with both iGPU and dGPU enabled simultaneously

will1b

Until a couple of months ago, my PC was running with an i5 760 and my current Radeon HD 7850 on Premiere Elements 11 just fine - playback was smooth and I could edit my videos just fine.

However, recently I installed a new CPU and motherboard - an i7 4770K. The key feature here is that it has an integrated GPU (hence referred to as "iGPU") which can run in tandem with my current dGPU (discrete GPU, the HD 7850) by having encoding jobs such as rendering videos and transcoding sent to the iGPU in a feature called Quick Sync. In order to utilise this, I had to bind a virtual monitor to my motherboard's VGA port (as according to this post made by vaesauce on the OBS forums), and for all related applications it worked perfectly (HandBrake transcodes really quickly, and I can stream with OBS with negligible performance overhead). Except one - Premiere Elements 11.

When I booted up Premiere Elements 11 to edit a short clip yesterday, I was greeted with a screen that informed me I had incompatible drivers. I went and checked my video drivers for both of my GPUs - both up to date - reinstalled them and rebooted. Tried once again, same issue. Going on to try and edit just resulted in audio playback, and a complete failure of video playback. I found the solution was to disable my iGPU in device manager, then it works fine.

Now, here is my question - how can I have both the dGPU and iGPU enabled and still be able to edit videos with Premiere Elements 11? While it does work in this fashion, the constant going into device manager before and after editing a video is very annoying (also, I'm sure PrEl 11 could itself benefit from the QuickSync!)