• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding existing X_TOC (TOC) or X_IX (INDEX) files to the book.

Contributor ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have a Book name X which has X_Cover, X_TOC, X_Chapter 1 and X_IX.

From this book, instead of Exclude (file), I used Delete (file) for X_TOC and X_IX. I still have those files in my hard drive.

Now I want to add those files (X_TOC and X_IX) back into the book as Table-of-Content and as an Index.

How should I go about it?

Because when I add those files in the Book and click on Book Update , it does not show the TOC and IX file in the Generate section of the dialog box.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

From the Book file, select Add > Table of Contents and Index of to re-create them - if you try to just add them as FIles, Fm won't recognize these generated files. FM will (should) use the existing files as formatting templates for them.

Note, FM may create these files as "XTOC" instead of "X_TOC" so you may have to rename these files first (or just import them as templates after FM has created them and do another update).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Book file, select Add > Table of Contents and Index of to re-create them - if you try to just add them as FIles, Fm won't recognize these generated files. FM will (should) use the existing files as formatting templates for them.

Note, FM may create these files as "XTOC" instead of "X_TOC" so you may have to rename these files first (or just import them as templates after FM has created them and do another update).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Arnis, Error 7103:

I cretaed new TOC from Book (Add > Table of Content) and then importaed the formatting from the existing file (X_TOC) which I had created earlier. I guess this is the way to go about it.

It is too bad we can not add existing X_TOC to the Book file; because my existing TOC file has a lot of custom settings for certain added texts which can not be created with the standard Add > Table of Content(such as added title with different font, weight, size etc).

Anyway, thank you so much. Appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For future reference, you could just rename the TOC & IX files that you want to use to be <bookname>TOC.fm and <bookname>IX.fm, where <bookname> is the filename name for the book file, e.g. myBook.book <bookname> = myBook. FM will then use these existing files for the next update and this will preserve custom titles, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preserve the old files first.

Do as Arnis suggested.

Import Formats from the old files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines