18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 4:22 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.

BobJimbo

When I try and render a video - I've tried several rendering settings - the progress bar always reaches about 20-40 % completion, then the whole program crashes. The error message is from windows. I have tried freeing hard drive space, updating to 9.01, and it is the only program running at the time. Please help!

• 1. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bobjimbo

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 running on? For now, I am assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit and you are not getting any video card display errors.

What is the duration of the content that you are trying to render at the Timeline level to get the best possible preview of the playback of that

video in the Edit area monitor?

If you go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, where are the Scratch Disks located and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

If you go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0, how much content do you have in the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files

Folder?

What is your motivation for rendering the Timeline

a. you have just applied an effect...if so, which one?

b. you have just created a title in the Titler?

c. you have just applied a video or audio transition to the Timeline content?

d. you have just performed some miscellaneous editing task which has turned the render indicator line to red?

If you do not render the Timeline, can you move forward in the project without crashes?

We could get into

a. video card version

b. QuickTime installation verification

c. User Account with Administrative Privileges verfication

d. project presets and properties of source media

but let us get the basic introductory Q&A factors ruled in or out.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
            BobJimbo Level 1

Thanks for replying

I am running Windows 7. When I said 'Render' I might have meant 'Share'. When my friends are exporting a project as a single video file they refer to it as rendering. I think you might also be referring to Premiere Elements 10 or Premiere Pro features as I cannot find anything called a Titler. I just do Title>New Title>Default Still. I looked up scratch disks and they are all the same location, basically, in Appdata/Roaming, with 484 GB Free space. I tried exporting the project as individual 10 second long videos and that worked (The project is approximately 18 minutes in length, consisting of 9 original files, 1 picture, 3 videos and 5 sound files. The problem might one of the original video files that is in the project, which is 120 GB in size. I have dealt with big video files before though, so I'm not sure why that would be a problem.

EDIT: Just found the Render option... I guess I meant Share. Anyway, it crashes in the middle of rendering too.

• 3. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Boblimbo

I am strictly and Elements user, intensely Premiere Elements (all versions) and have a good working relationship with Photoshop Elements alone or integrated with Premiere Elements. And, I stick to Premiere Elements answers to Premiere Elements questions. So, not to worry about me throwing you a Premiere Pro answer for a Premiere Elements question.

When you created your title in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 (Title Menu/New Title/Default Still), the "Titler" workspace open, and your creation of the title is done in the Titler.

Titler.JPG

Thanks for clarify that your focus is rendering as in exporting the Timeline content to file saved to the computer hard drive or burn to disc rather than Timeline rendering to get the best possible preview of the Timeline content at playback in the Edit area monitor.

For now, please point your Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch discs) to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0 so that they are Local Disk C (assumed with the 484 GB free space).

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit is still a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system and as such has the limitations of 32 bit system, namely, maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which 3.2 to 3.0 GB or less of that are available. So, computer resource is a good candidate, but we need explore other factors as well.

Was that a misprint 120 GB file? What is its duration in the 18 minute Timeline content? What happens if you remove this file from the project? Do you get a successful export?

But, preliminary questions...what is your export choice...

a. Share/Computer/What with What export settings? Whatever the case, what does the export dialog show for estimated file size and duration at its bottom area?

b. Share/Disc/What.....? If this is the export, what does the burn dialog show in its Quality area for Space Required and Bitrate?

Not to be forgotten...what

9 original files, 1 picture, 3 videos and 5 sound files

What are the formats of those video files...file size, file extension, video compression, audio compression, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio.

(Brand/Model/Settings of the camera that recorded the videos might give us some or most of that type of information.) What are the pixel dimensions of your one photo? What is the nature of those 5 sound files (.wav, .mp3....music or narration)?

Let us start here. The answers should be in the details above.

We will be watching for your progress when you have time.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                BobJimbo Level 1

Ok thanks for clearing up those Titler issues It is a 120 GB file, but I tried removing it and Elements still crashed while exporting. I have tried it with multiple export settings, this being the main one I use (share>computer):

Export Settings 1.JPG

The video files are all screen captures using Dxtory at 60 fps in the .avi format. The audio files are in .wav format. The files are stored on an external hard drive.

• 5. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bobjimbo

A few things to clear up as we progress in the troubleshooting.

You say that your video files are all screen captures using Dxtory at 60 frames per second. Something is not right with your project settings.

What was the frame size of the files, 1280 x 720 pixels or other? Let us accept for the moment that they were 1280 x 720.

You say the Dxtory frame rate was 60 frames per second.

So, why is not your project preset

NTSC

DSLR

720p

DSLR 720p60

The Source in your export settings in the screenshot tells me it is not. May or may not have anything to do with the crashing, but....

When you are in the project still in the Edit area, have you rendered the Timeline content to get the best possible preview of the playback of

the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor? If so, have you had any crashes at that point?

What type of .avi are you putting on the Timeline? What is the video compression that the file is using?

Yet to be reported:

a. the estimated file size and duration of the export just before you hit the Save button in the Share area.

b. what path is that screenshot in post 4 coming from...Share/Computer/MPEG or other?

c. are you working with an Internet connection on?

Please review and consider the above and then we will consider what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                    BobJimbo Level 1

It's Share>Computer>MPEG
                    Estimated file size: 1950 MB Estimated time taken to export: ~22 minutes

I am working with an internet connection on.

• 7. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bobjimbo

Thanks for the reply.

What did you set for Presets under Share/Computer/MPEG?

Also, please fill in the information on what kind of .avi and the rest as asked in post 5.

I recall that you wrote that you had 3 videos in the projects. The largest one (120 GB) you said you removed and that did not resolve the problem.

What if you took out all 3 videos - is the problem gone? Also, what happens with regard to crashes, if you left everything as is and removed the 5 sound files?

Crashes gone?

I would start with the 5 sound files.

ATR

• 8. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                        BobJimbo Level 1

This is the properties of the .avi files:

AVI.JPG

The preset was HD 720p 30, the details are in the screenshot in post 4.

I tried removing the 120 GB file and all audio and in both instances it still crashed, about the same way through.

• 9. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bobjimbo

Your video is apparently 1364 x 704 @ 60 progressive frames per second. There is not Premiere Elements project preset for that so I probably would have gone with the set of the following in the new project dialog:

NTSC

DSLR

720p

DSLR 720p60

We know that your video has an .avi file extension (wrapper format), but we still do not know what video compression the file uses.

Need to know information.

1. If you use the above project preset and import your file to the Timeline, there will be a red line over the Timeline content. If you render that Timeline content by pressing the Enter key of the computer main keyboard, does the render work without crashes, and does the red line turn green.

You next step appears to be the expert via Share/Computer/MPEG. We are going to go with Presets = HD720p30 and changing to HD720p60 under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of your preset

MPEG60.JPG

Under the Audio tab, first look at MPEG audio (MPEG-1, Layer II Audio). If problems, then look at audio with Dolby Digital.

Still think the key is going to be in what type of .avi. So, please see if you can find the information from the recording program's settings so

that we do not have to go to MediaInfo.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....what were the results from the previously asked

I recall that you wrote that you had 3 videos in the projects. The largest one (120 GB) you said you removed and that did not resolve the problem.

What if you took out all 3 videos - is the problem gone? Also, what happens with regard to crashes, if you left everything as is and removed the 5 sound files?

Crashes gone?

I would start with the 5 sound files.

• 10. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                            BobJimbo Level 1

Sorry for not responding in a while. How would I find the compression of the video files?

I cannot render the timeline as this also causes Elements to crash, mid render. I also tried HD720 60fps, and it crashed with these settings.Compress.JPG

This is the only information dxtory (the capture software) gives me about it's video output. Like I said, when I removed all the audio it did not work either. However, audio only worked just fine.

• 11. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bobjimbo

I cannot find any information to support that your YUV410 (4x4) with its avi file extension is supported.

Let us consider

1. If you use video recorded with a digital camera or a camcorder, do you have this type of problem that you are having

with video from the Dxtory captures?

2. The file size of the YUV410.avi is 18.5 GB, have you established the relationship of file size to the problem?

3. Are you confirming that the workflow in post numbered 9 does not work for you?

4. What happens if you convert what you have to an H.264.mp4 file (1280 x 720 @ 60 progressive frames per second) in the free HandBrake?

http://handbrake.fr/

And then import the H.264.mp4 into your project with the project preset NTSC/DSLR/720p/DSLR 720p60?

I can give you s step by step on that if you want.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 12. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                                BobJimbo Level 1

So I tried using footage from my digital camera instead of the screen captures and I was able to render that fine. I'm not sure what you mean by no.2 but I tried the workflow in post 9 and it crashed at the same point.

I also tried handbrake, but could not get it to work with the video.

• 13. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BobJimbo

Referring to post numbered 11 and question "2", could you record screen captures of 2 GB, 4 GB, 9 GB, as well as 18.5 GB, and get any of them to work in your Premiere Elements?

Did you try another of the other video codec that Dxtory offers?

ATR

Add On...I look around and see what I can find on the Dxtory screen capture and its codecs.

• 14. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

BobJimbo

What was the file size of the footage from your digital camera as compared to the Dxtory video?

I watched an online Dxtory how to video. Apparently what you showed in post numbered 10 was the Quality settings when the dialog before that one is set for Video Codec = Dxtory Video Codec. Your quality setting of YUV410 Low Quality would have gotten you the lowest possible file size for the export. Have you used other than what is listed as Dxtory Video Codec in your captures?

Since you are using 9.0/9.0.1 and it is a 32 bit application, I am suspecting file size as the cause of the problems here. Therefore your results with different duration captures but same Dxtory Video Codec should prove very helpful in the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 15. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                                      BobJimbo Level 1

One of the files I recorded for another video (same dxtory settings) was 2 GB and I was able to render using it fine! I even used it over and over to make a project 18 minutes in length and it worked.

• 16. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

BobJimbo

Was the 2 GB file that you mention in post numbered 15 from Dxtory?

Have you had a chance to do those small test run recordings to get 4 GB, 9 GB, and 18.5 GB file sizes? I am still tracking that file size. The perspective is from the import side of things. You appear to be dealing with YUV410.avi. I am not seen (but I have not looked intensively either) about file size and import of YUV410.avi.  If one uses Cineform.avi from another type of project, there are issues of incomplete import with file size greater than 4 GB.

Is you computer operating system Windows 7 64 bit? How much installed RAM do you have on the computer? From the perspective of computer resources and the 18.5 GB file, it would be interesting to see your Dxtory imports into the tryout of Premiere Elements 12 on your Window 7 64 bit. Version 12 would be a 64 bit application on Windows 7 64 bit with all the resource perks of the 64 bit system.

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 17. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                                          BobJimbo Level 1

The 2GB file was from dxtory, indeed from the same recording session. I tried it with a similar 13 GB file but it failed to complete rendering with that. I am 64 bit Windows 7 with 6 GB RAM. I'll try downloading premiere 12 tomorrow.

• 18. Re: Elements 9 crashes when rendering - every time.
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

BobJimbo

Thanks for the follow ups.

Since this is an .avi file, I suspect this is an .avi file size matter. But suspect is not good enough. It will be very interesting to see the results from version 12.

I need to get to some Google searches for Dxtory and .avi files sizes.

ATR