6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2014 6:04 PM by station_two

tangents are gone

hanswillem

When i use the direct select tool, and marquee select a point of a path, photoshop doesn't show me the tangents of that point... is that a bug? Because for me this slows my workflow down a lot!

• 1. Re: tangents are gone
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

All point don't necessary have to hane control handles and the direct selection tool can select a segment in a path or sub-path and may only show the control handles at both ends of the selected segment. Here is a path the has four closed elliptical sub-paths each sub-path have four control points with handles and four segments.  Here I use the direct selection tool and clicked on a segment in one of the four closed sub-path.  The four control points in the closed sub-path were then shown an the control handle on both ends of the clicked segment are also show.

Capture.jpg

All select with no control points showing.

Capture.jpg

Selecting many segments showing many handles

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: tangents are gone
            hanswillem Level 1

So the answer is that this is meant to be this way?

Illustrator doesn't have this. After Effects doesn't have this. If this is so useful, why don't those aps have it?

No program I know of has this but Photoshop. Not Mocha, not Nuke, not Cinema 4D, not Maya, the list goes on.

Now in Photoshop when I marquee select a point I get to see all kinds of tangents, except the tangents of the point I was actually selecting. I am quite sure that in over 90% of all cases that people marquee select a specific point, they would want to edit that point and not the neighbouring points.

• 3. Re: tangents are gone
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Find it fun to play with view in new tab

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: tangents are gone
                Noel Carboni Level 8

I don't use those other tools mentioned, but I've got to say, when I've used the Photoshop CC Direct Selection Tool to modify a path I felt the display of points and Bezier handles was right on point.  I found the screen uncluttered and just the parts of the path I needed to access were intuitively easy to edit.

That said, it does seem like it should be possible to have some method - a modifier key combination perhaps - that just reveals the handles on all points so it could work the way Hans would like as well.

Edit:  Just experimenting with dragging rectangles around SOME of the points in a path nets some odd results.  It's almost as if it WANTS to put handles on everything pertinent, then something else turns them off for the points that are actually included in the rectangle.

-Noel

• 5. Re: tangents are gone
                  Level 5

hanswillem wrote:

…Illustrator doesn't have this. After Effects doesn't have this. If this is so useful, why don't those aps have it?…

Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.

The "suite" concept is a fabrication of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.

The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.

• 6. Re: tangents are gone
                    Level 5

Incidentally, you're not addressing Adobe here.  None of the participants in this thread work for Adobe.