7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2007 4:43 PM by Newsgroup_User

    Dont Buy FireworksCS3

    carlton731
      If you are an owner of Macromedia Studio 8 and you want to upgrade to FireworksCS3, don't!. Adobe's eligiblity requirements are misleading at best as indicated on this page: http://store.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/software/fireworks/upgrade_eligibility.html. I held on the phone for over 2 1/2 hours with Adobe Customer Service and got no where with them. They are unresponsive to a long-time customer who has been with Adobe for over 15 years. Their explanations are beyond belief. So, unless you want to pay full price for Fireworks, don't take the time to download the upgrade. I am very disappointed in Adobe's response. They have done with Macromedia what I thought they would: ruin a good responsive company.
        • 1. Re: Dont Buy FireworksCS3
          Level 7
          carlton731 wrote:
          > If you are an owner of Macromedia Studio 8 and you want to upgrade to
          > FireworksCS3, don't!. Adobe's eligiblity requirements are misleading at best as
          > indicated on this page:
          > http://store.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/software/fireworks/upgrade_eligibility.
          > html. I held on the phone for over 2 1/2 hours with Adobe Customer Service and
          > got no where with them. They are unresponsive to a long-time customer who has
          > been with Adobe for over 15 years. Their explanations are beyond belief. So,
          > unless you want to pay full price for Fireworks, don't take the time to
          > download the upgrade. I am very disappointed in Adobe's response. They have
          > done with Macromedia what I thought they would: ruin a good responsive company.
          >

          Studio 8 wasn't listed as an option on that page.

          Because you own Studio 8, doesn't mean you own the stand alone version
          of Fireworks 8. If that was the case you could upgrade all of the Studio
          8 applications to individual stand alone CS3 versions, then upgrade to
          CS3 Web premium and have two sets of software at upgrade prices.

          I can see why they wouldn't do that.

          SKB
          • 2. Re: Dont Buy FireworksCS3
            Kathleen13 Level 1
            Maybe I'm not understanding something, but are you saying you just want to upgrade the MM Studio 8 to a single license for Fireworks CS3?

            For $499, I just upgraded MM Studio 8 (except for Freehand... *sigh*), and got Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro and Bridge thrown in to the deal. I never owned Adobe products because there was no way I could afford them. Seems to me it's a sweet deal from Adobe, when they could have completely screwed all the MM folks since they now own the market. $499 is NOT a small amount of money to me, but it's well worth it for the web premium bundle. My creative life is good.
            • 3. Re: Dont Buy FireworksCS3
              carlton731 Level 1
              The issue here is simple. You have to either buy the CS3 Premium with InDesign, which I needed but does not have Fireworks. It had everything I needed but Fireworks. If I did as you suggested and bought the web collection I would not have had InDesign. I could have bought the Master Collection for much more money. My beef is simple. They do clearly state the upgrade options. If long-time MM users such as myself, and a long-time Adobe user for more than 15 years, cannot get the stand-along upgrade version of Fireworks CS3 they should state on the eligiblity pages that Studio 8 is not applicable and that the programs must be stand-alone. They do not do that which in my humble opinion is not honest advertising. Why would I have ever bought from MM stand-alone versions of each package when I could buy the entire suite?
              • 4. Dont Buy FireworksCS3
                Level 1
                Cartlon,

                You could consider CS3 Design Premium (as in Design Premium) and Fireworks CS3 standalone. Then bam, you have those stuff on your machine. Does that make sense to you, no?

                Cheers, Brian

                quote:

                Originally posted by: carlton731
                The issue here is simple. You have to either buy the CS3 Premium with InDesign, which I needed but does not have Fireworks. It had everything I needed but Fireworks. If I did as you suggested and bought the web collection I would not have had InDesign. I could have bought the Master Collection for much more money. My beef is simple. They do clearly state the upgrade options. If long-time MM users such as myself, and a long-time Adobe user for more than 15 years, cannot get the stand-along upgrade version of Fireworks CS3 they should state on the eligiblity pages that Studio 8 is not applicable and that the programs must be stand-alone. They do not do that which in my humble opinion is not honest advertising. Why would I have ever bought from MM stand-alone versions of each package when I could buy the entire suite?


                • 5. Re: Dont Buy FireworksCS3
                  carlton731 Level 1
                  Just a quick update on this topic. Today I finally got in touch with someone at Adobe that handled this matter in an understanding manner and took care of the issue. I commend the support person who helped me. As usual it is getting the right person and this individual did. I do not know the person's name but I want to thank him and my faith in Adobe has been restored.
                  • 6. Re: Dont Buy FireworksCS3
                    Level 7
                    carlton731 wrote:
                    > Just a quick update on this topic. Today I finally got in touch with someone at
                    > Adobe that handled this matter in an understanding manner and took care of the
                    > issue. I commend the support person who helped me. As usual it is getting the
                    > right person and this individual did. I do not know the person's name but I
                    > want to thank him and my faith in Adobe has been restored.
                    >
                    So they let you purchase FW as a stand alone for the upgrade price?


                    • 7. Re: Dont Buy FireworksCS3
                      Level 7
                      SKB wrote:

                      >>
                      > So they let you purchase FW as a stand alone for the upgrade price?
                      >
                      >

                      Doh! Hit the wrong key. Anyway, in addition to the first question, or
                      was the license issue explained in a more reasonable way?

                      SKB