10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2014 7:56 AM by Noel Carboni

Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal

t5179

With my layer mask when I paint with black it reveals but when I paint in white it won't conceal.

• 1. Re: Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

t5179 wrote:

With my layer mask when I paint with black it reveals but when I paint in white it won't conceal.

This is how its works BLACK hides the area in the layer being masked  what shows in the masked off area is what in the lower layers composite.   White does not conceal what is in the layer area it shows what in the layer area.   If you paint with back to hide an area and paint too much of a area black you can change white paint and paint back in what was masked off.

So if you do  something like dupe a layer and blur the whole layer you can click on the add layer mask icon in the layers  palette which will add an all white show all layer mask and be the target. You can then use a black paint brush and paint over the subject to show the sharp image below. If you paint too much black and show some sharp background area you can switch to white and paint the blur back in.

Here I added a B&W adjustment layer and used a black paint on the adjustment layer's layer mask to hide the adjustment over the rose.

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal
            t5179 Level 1

The black and white works in the opposite when click on the white it not reversing what I did with the black.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• 3. Re: Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Are you actually seeing the white paint on the layer mask thumbnail?

If not, is there any chance your brush is not set to Normal blending?

Mixing.png

-Noel

• 4. Re: Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal

You do not click on the white or black. You click on the layer mask you want to paint on in the layers palette to target that layer mask. Then you paint the white or black in the image window. Actually you can paint with any color for layer mask are gray scale channels so it only possible to paint with shades on gray.  The color will be a shade of gray for any color the brush is set to.  The Mask applies the that layer its on Black hides any layer content in the area white  shows any content in the area gray changes the opacity of any layer content in the area.  A layer need not have content is all areas.  Layers can have empty pixels.

Layer Mask are Gray-scale.  If you ATL click on a layer mask in the Layers palette it will be targeted and will be displayed in the image window the Composite image will not be displayed. The way you can paint on the layer mask and see the layer mask not the effect of the layer mask that your currently seeing. Il you set the layers palette to show large thumbnails you should see a good small view of your layer mask.

Here I converted the background layer to a smart object and added a smart motion blur filter.  I then painted on the Filter mask and hid the blur of the rose peddles edges.

Capture.jpg

• 5. Re: Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal

As Nole points out bush blending mode is very important.  I often paint on layer mask with brush blending mode set to overlay.  In overlay mode white and black areas are protected from change  only gray areas can be changed till gray become white or black. Gray Area are very important in layer mask. For you can use Photoshop tools on layer mask like level and curves.  A small shift on the gray center slider in a levels adjustment on a layer mask can at times greatly improve the effectiveness if the layer mask.

• 6. Re: Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal
                    t5179 Level 1

You all not understanding I was able to switch between to either hide or reveal then I was only able to reveal my brush size is the same and my flow is the same but it not working when switch to white.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• 7. Re: Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

So please make it easier for us to understand and help you.  This is not an "instant messaging" kind of problem to solve.

Go to your computer and take some screenshots, showing both when you're hiding layer data and when you're trying to reveal it and it's not working.  Don't crop them, show the whole screen.

Describe, keystroke by mouse click, exactly how you're trying to do it.

I'll bet once you've done that someone here will immediately be able to give you an idea what to do differently to make it work the way you need it to.

-Noel

• 8. Re: Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal

t5179 wrote:

You all not understanding I was able to switch between to either hide or reveal then I was only able to reveal my brush size is the same and my flow is the same but it not working when switch to white.

It could be your not understanding what we write either. Many here are experts on using Photoshop and masking. It clear Masking is not working for you the way you want  the way you state it use to work.  Therefore something has changed in your setup.   You stated that black use to reveal and and white hide.    In reality black does both hides and reveal. It hides areas in the layer the layer mask is on which reveals what is in lower visible layers.   You state white reveals  again it does both it reveals and it hides.  If the current layer mask was hiding area in the layer its on which reveals what is in lower visible layers when you paint with white it will hide what is in lower layer by revealing what is in the layer it on. Layer masks are like a stencil Black cuts out what is in the layer white leave what is in the layer there. Also visible layers above a masked layer can hide all layer below and any effect a lower layer mask may cause.

As Noel wrote some screen grabs showing your image window, layers palette showing layers and target layer mask, tool  pallet and tools option bar for your brush tool active and the areas your painting Black and White  and will enable some here to help point the way and shade light on your problem.

• 9. Re: Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal
                          t5179 Level 1

By you asking for the screen shots I was able to see that the brush mode was on Darken so when I made the switch nothing happened, I changed it to normal and now its working thanks!

• 10. Re: Layer mass will let paint black to reveal but I click on white and paint it won't conceal
                            Noel Carboni Level 8

You're welcome.  I'm a bit surprised the picture in post 3 didn't help you see that.

-Noel