6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2011 2:03 PM by cgbechtold

Record Streaming Video from Computer

Josires Level 1
      I need to "capture" streaming video that plays on a computer. I can't seperate out the file, just need to record as it plays. If Captivate can't do it, does anyone know of another program that can?

Thanks much!
        • 1. Record Streaming Video from Computer
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Josires

Captivate can do it, but you probably won't be happy with the results. You might give TechSmith's Camtasia Studio a try. It's much better suited to this type of recording.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Record Streaming Video from Computer
            Josires Level 1
            Thanks, Rick. How would I do it in Captivate. I've tried playing the video and recording, but all I get is a black screen (where the video plays) and fuzzy (very fuzzy) audio.

• 3. Re: Record Streaming Video from Computer
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi again

I did say the results wouldn't be good.

Here's how I would do it. Set the Captivate recording area to surround the video. Then press F9 to start Full-Motion capture. F10 to end. Not recommended, but there ya go...

Cheers... Rick
              • 4. Re: Record Streaming Video from Computer
                Josires Level 1
                Rick ~

It still didn't work. I got the same results as before (black box where the video was playing). I'll give Camtasia a try and see how that works.

Thanks for your input!
                • 5. Re: Record Streaming Video from Computer
                  williamck1 Level 1

Probably the asker has gone but the question is still unanswered. I can't know if Camtasia recommended here had finally helped recorded videos.

But I just want to share a decent program to achieve this for I have many successfully instances to record streaming videos with it. That is Streaming Video Recorder, it will assist you to record video stream and you can trim the duration in its video player to get intended part of the video. It will record video at its original quality, in that case the video will be unambiguous.

• 6. Re: Record Streaming Video from Computer
                    cgbechtold Level 1

I have had this problem with TechSmith's software as well.

Try turning off video hardware acceleration.

Also, make sure you don't move anything once you've begun.

Oddly, even screen recordings made with TechSmith's Morae recording .NET 3 applicaitons can lose the content and present a black screen.

Here's the drill:

Record a software interaction.

Edit and export video. (If you move the editing window, the recorded image seems to stay where it was, but becomes invisible. Sort of like sliding a cropping guide off a picture and onto a table.)

Launch video player and play recording

Move video player.

Recording disappears until you put player back where it was.

I've had similar problems with Camtasia and SnagIt.