14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2014 6:56 AM by A.T. Romano

Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage

scottvt6mt

Hi there,

First post here. I have used PE8 many times in the past, so I kind of know what I am doing. However, I just got PE12 and I have been working on a project I shot with the GoPro hero 3+ Black edition, shooting in 1080p @ 60fps.Typically with PE8 I would convert the files to AVI before bringing them into the program, but with 12 it says MP4 is a native file type, so I skipped this step. I am experiencing a low quality playback in the editor, and I thought maybe my PC wasnt up to par anymore, or my playback settings were off, so I burned it to a DVD and played it on a TV and it was absolutely terrible. I wasn't given any options to a project setting like in PE8, and I read that PE12 does it for you. I went to the settings, but I was unable to change anything, so how can I make my high quality footage into a high quality final product?

In Edit>Project settings>general, it is AVCHD 1080p square pixel, 59.94fps,

Video, 1920x1080, 60fps Drop frame timecode

This all seems pretty normal to me, so is there something I am missing? Would I have better results if I did convert to AVI?

Thanks much in advance!

• 1. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
          A.T. Romano Level 7

scottvtomt

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

If you have not already, please update from 12 to 12.1, using the opened project's Help Menu/Update.

With version 11 and 12, the program is designed so that the project takes over setting the project preset based on

the properties of the first video you drag to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it correctly, sometimes not. For the sometimes

not moments, then you set the project preset manually as described in the following link (File Menu/New/Project).

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Once the project preset is set, you can deduce the project settings in Edit Menu/Projects Settings/General, but there are no

significant changes you can make at that point.

If you say that your source was 1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second, then your Edit Menu/Project Settings/General

reading would indicate that you or the project set the project preset correctly. When you dragged the file to the Timeline for the

first time was there an orange line over its content - or rather no colored line? For now, I am assuming no colored line.

Right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then Highest. What is the quality of your video at this point when viewed

in the Edit area monitor?

Go to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and set Presets + MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

Then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset, customize the export settings for 1080p60, using the following settings

exactly as shown.

AVCHD.JPG

What does that AVCHD.mp4 (1080p60) look like on your computer player(s)?

We will be watching for your results.

Pending further results from you, on hold are questions about your computer resources, your video card/graphics card, Administrator setup,

QuickTime install, etc.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
            scottvt6mt Level 1

Thanks for the reply. My PC is running windows 7. I played with it a bit last night, and added some new footage, and came to realize that it completely degrades it only AFTER I render the time line. The PC is powerful enough to playback the un-rendered footage quite smoothly, so I burned a copy to a DVD. And again, somewhere along the way in the burning process the video was degraded. I will try what you said and export to my PC using those settings. Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
              A.T. Romano Level 7

scottvt6mt

Thanks for the update.

Your next test should give us a good idea of what is happening with regard to Premiere Elements and the quality of the exports involved

here.

Looking forward to the results.

Many thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 4. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
                scottvt6mt Level 1

I updated the software to 12.1. I just bought and installed Pre12 last weekend, and assumed install wizard would install the latest version, or at least alert me that an update was available, so I never even gave that a thought. Anyway, after that, I exported the project to my PC with the settings you provided, and it turned out great. I havent burned a DVD since the update yet, but I kind of feel it is something more than that. What next? And again, thank you. I appreciate the help.

• 5. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

scottvt6mt

Thanks for the update. Great news about the great quality AVCHD.mp4 export to file saved to your computer hard drive.

Next, please take that same Timeline content and burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc. You do not need a Blu-ray burner for this. The

regular DVD/CD burner will do the job. But, AVCHD format on DVD disc cannot be played back on the regular DVD player. It needs a

Blu-ray player (or one marketed to support many formats including AVCHD DVD). Please take a look at the playback quality of the AVCHD DVD.

Also check the playback quality on a computer player if you have one that supports AVCHD DVD.

Next phase will be the following...burn the same Timeline content to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc to get a baseline result after the 12.1 Update.

Determine if you are getting the same playback quality for this on the TV as well as from one of the computer players.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
                    scottvt6mt Level 1

Alright, so I burned an AVCHD DVD, and I was only able to play it on my desktop. The laptop (PC as well),  and my 2 DVD players wanted nothing to do with it. It was, however,  a slight step up from the original DVD, but nothing at all close to the AVCHD I exported to my PC. I also burned another DVD after the 12.1 update, and it is identical to the original DVD I burned days ago. I cant hardly think this is normal, since in the past I have burned some DVDs using GoPro Hero HD and Hero2 footage out of PRe8 with better results.

Again, thank you for your time, and help, I really do appreciate it. This is really frustrating me!

• 8. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

scottvt6mt

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry for the gaps in communications.

So, right now, we have

(a) an excellent AVCHD.mp4 (1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second) file

(b) a mediocre AVCHD format burned to DVD disc.

(c) a bad looking DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc.

Especially, the mediocre results for the AVCHD format burned to DVD disc was not expected. What did you set for Presets?

H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby (this gives a 29.97 interlaced frames per second frame rate)

or

H.264 1920 x 1080pNTSC Dolby (this gives a 24 progressive frames per second frame rate)

Please try both and compare for quality.

What brand and type of DVD disc are you using? Do you have any alternative brand/type DVD disc to try?

We are getting near the point where I am thinking about a Deactivate in the opened project (Help Menu/Sign Out), followed by

ccleaner run through (regular and registry cleaner parts), and then the reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled. A while back

a few users reported that this troubleshooting scheme cleaned up some blurry DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Also, please confirm that your video is characterized by 60 progressive frames per second and not by 60i which is 60 fields per

second which equates to 29.97 interlaced frames per second. I ask because I do not want to take anything for granted.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
                        scottvt6mt Level 1

Hi there,

I cant remember which AVCHD I burned, all I wrote on the disc was AVCHD, so I will do one @1080i and another @1080p.

I ran out of DVDs not too long ago. I went to Best Buy and got a 100pack of Memorex DVD-R. I will get another brand if you recommend something else.

Yes the GoPro 3 Black footage I was using is 1080P 60fps.

As far as the Deactivate, I'm not 100% what to do there, so maybe I will hold off on that. I will report back with the findings of comparing a 1080i and 1080p AVCHD.

Thanks again!

• 10. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

scottvtmt

Thank you for the update.

For informational rather than promotional purposes, I would mention that I am currently using Verbatim DVD-R and BD-R and BD-RE discs for the Premiere Elements burn to. When I am doing some preliminary troubleshooting, I find it convenience to use a DVD-RW which Premiere Elements supports. Use of that disc allows for the overwriting of what was on the disc previously. It does not allow you to add files to existing files on the disc, only overwrite them. I have also used other disc brands without issue.

We will save the deactivation/uninstall/ccleaner/reinstall as a last resort.

I am looking forward to your AVCHD on DVD results.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 11. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
                            scottvt6mt Level 1

I reviewed both the 1080p and 1080i AVCHD discs, and the look pretty similar. Nothing really stood out to me as one being any better quality than the other.

Thanks!

• 12. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

scottvt6mt

What I would like you to look at next if you have not know them previously....

1. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD with burn to, Folder (4.7 GB) with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD. Then take only the VIDEO_TS of the folder saved in that process and get it to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc with the free ImgBurn program.

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

2. Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD with burn to, Folder (4.7 GB) with preset =

H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby (this gives a 29.97 interlaced frames per second frame rate)

and/or

H.264 1920 x 1080pNTSC Dolby (this gives a 24 progressive frames per second frame rate)

The BDMV Folder in the folder saved in that process can be taken to AVCHD format on DVD.

More step by step information when needed. Let see the DVD-VIDEO on DVD results first.

Please remind me, do you have a Blu-ray burner and Blu-ray disc and have you look at the quality of your  Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Timeline content when it is burn to Blu-ray format on Blu-ray disc?

Thanks for the follow ups and the troubleshooting to try to find the core of your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 burn to disc issues.

ATR

• 13. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
                                scottvt6mt Level 1

Im sorry, Ive had an extremely busy week. Hopefully I can try this before next weekend. I will be sure to reply with the results.

• 14. Re: Low quality from PrE12 using GoPro3 black footage
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

scottv16mt

Thanks. Whenever your schedule permits.

ATR